GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Air Suspension conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 09:50 PM
mrmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 Air Suspension conversion

I just had my 2004 GX470 converted to coil springs with a kit from Strutmasters. Everything turned out fine and I have no blinking lights on the dash as I have heard some people have. I am interested in removing the air ride switch assembly from the console and replacing it with a factory cover that has a small pocket built in it. I wanted to see if anyone else has disconnected these switches after doing the coil spring conversion. And if so will there be any problems with any warning lights.
The switches have no purpose now so no use having them on the console.
Old 11-20-14, 09:15 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmgx470
I just had my 2004 GX470 converted to coil springs with a kit from Strutmasters. Everything turned out fine and I have no blinking lights on the dash as I have heard some people have. I am interested in removing the air ride switch assembly from the console and replacing it with a factory cover that has a small pocket built in it. I wanted to see if anyone else has disconnected these switches after doing the coil spring conversion. And if so will there be any problems with any warning lights.
The switches have no purpose now so no use having them on the console.
Do it. No lights or errors whatsoever. Great spot for my phone.
Old 11-20-14, 06:12 PM
mrmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Did you just unplug yours and push the socket down inside the console or do I need to tape it up to keep anything from touching any of the contacts?
Old 11-20-14, 08:12 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmgx470
Did you just unplug yours and push the socket down inside the console or do I need to tape it up to keep anything from touching any of the contacts?
I just left it unplugged and tucked away. It won't interfere with anything.
Old 11-20-14, 08:43 PM
mrmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one of the box type cover plates from an online Toyota dealership.
It will be good to get those disabled switches out of the console. Both of my airbags started leaking
and the compressor failed, probably trying to pump up the ruptured bags. I saw the info to change
over to coil springs on this forum and it was a no-brainer not to put up to $4k in repairing the air ride
system on a 2004. With the kit from Strutmasters.com, labor at my local shop including realignment,
the conversion cost me about $535 and I think it rides and handles just as good as it did when the
air ride was working. Even more important my Wife is happy with the conversion as well!
Old 11-29-14, 08:57 AM
jrpease
Driver School Candidate

I just did the springs/struts conversion from suncore for $357. Took maybe a couple hours. We did a good 1,000 miles over the holiday and it rode great! The air ride just isn't worth the thousands in replacement parts you inevitably have to deal with on these vehicles. Did not know about this pocket replacement for the switch, great thing to know! Anyone got a part # for it?
Old 11-30-14, 06:53 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does this conversion include getting rid if air bags, sensors, etc?
Old 12-01-14, 03:57 AM
mrmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Default GX470 suspension conversion

I'm pretty sure the Suncore kit is the same as I got from Strutmasters. Mine included coil springs to replace the air bags, the mounting brackets for the coil springs and new shocks. I had mine installed at a local shop so I'm not sure about the sensors but I think they just disabled them and left them in place. Instructions were with the kit but I didn't get them back from the shop. As for the little pocket that replaces the air ride switches the part number is 58839-60040 and you can order it online from a Toyota dealer. Mine with shipping cost $19.71 and it just right to put a cell phone in it.
All I did was use a small putty knife on each side of the switch to first get the cover plate off then to remove the switch assembly. Then just unplug it and put the plug down inside the console. The box will just snap in place and looks like it came from the factory that way. The only light on my dash is the green dot at the N position where it says height control and it never changes from the N. I have put at least 1000 miles on the car as well and it rides just as good as ever. I do have a good
working air ride switch in case anyone needs one. I guess I need to put it on eBay.
Old 12-01-14, 08:48 AM
natedog650
Driver School Candidate

Default Air suspension or Coil?

Ok, wondering about this conversion. I just picked up an 06 Gx with 82k miles so my first question is how long should I typically expect the air suspension to last? Secondly, is it worth converting before the air suspension goes bad?

And the total cost, including labor, parts, etc... looks to be under $600? Did this give you some additional height as well? Obviously I am looking at larger tires so this is something I want to consider when making this change.

Thx
Old 12-05-14, 09:48 AM
xbrian
Driver School Candidate

Default which Box Type cover plate??

I have recently done this conversion. Does anyone have he part number of this cover plate and know where to order it. Do you know how to turn off the blinking light on the dash?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-14, 04:15 AM
mrmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natedog650
Ok, wondering about this conversion. I just picked up an 06 Gx with 82k miles so my first question is how long should I typically expect the air suspension to last? Secondly, is it worth converting before the air suspension goes bad?

And the total cost, including labor, parts, etc... looks to be under $600? Did this give you some additional height as well? Obviously I am looking at larger tires so this is something I want to consider when making this change.

Thx
My GX470 is a 2004 and had 159K miles when the air system started having problems so an
06 with only 82K should give you a while before having to consider it. I would just drive it until
you have a problem although it might be a good idea to have the air bags inspected for cracks
when you get it serviced. As for the height the conversion package I used put mine back to
factory specs in the normal position so if you want to go much larger wheels you would have
to look for a lift kit but you would have to lift it front and back. The coil spring conversion kit
I used was only for the rear components.
Old 12-08-14, 04:26 AM
mrmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xbrian
I have recently done this conversion. Does anyone have he part number of this cover plate and know where to order it. Do you know how to turn off the blinking light on the dash?

Thanks!
The Toyota part number for the switch replacement storage box is 58839-60040 , I just put the part
number and the words Toyota cover plate in a Google search and it popped up some Toytoa dealers
where I found one to order the part online. Mine with shipping was right at $20. As for the blinking lights
I have not had that problem. Even when I unplugged the air suspension switch. I had my conversion
done at a local repair shop so I didn't get to see the instructions about how to turn the lights off. They
may have had to clear codes with their scanner. My kit came from Strutmasters.com you may be able
to call or email them for instructions about the blinking lights. It may be just as simple as pulling the
fuses for the air ride system.
Old 12-08-14, 09:20 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2004....624214/page-2

this thread details how to get rid of the light, its one relay in the engine bay fuse box and one fuse under the dash to eliminate the light
Old 12-09-14, 03:58 PM
amcb
Driver School Candidate

Default Before I take the air suspension conversion plunge!

I have 2004 gx470 with 116k miles, I replaced airbags in rear suspension 1 year ago at dealer, it fixed the supper hard bumps but after reading this forum I think mine is ridding high in the rear and I suspect the sensors or related components have failed. The ride is supper springy and totally unacceptable. My question is, if I have already replaced the airbags at around $1500 is this the worst of it or will I be chasing another 4- 6k to really fix this system as portions of this thread suggest.
The current vehicle value does not support spending more than another $1000, if that. I will be DIY on this.

1. What are the parts left to fix?
2. How do I tell by measurement if I am ridding high?
3 How do I know if it's the sensors and not some other component of the suspension system?

Thanks for the assist!
Old 12-10-14, 01:27 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
cant the dealer verify that the air bags are working in accordance to the ride dial? do the bags raise and lower with the parked height adjustment switch?

i guess what i dont know is this. the vehicle will return to N height when more than ~5mph (something like that), but does ride comfort setting change the actual ride height? hows does the height switch relate to ride comfort setting? does comfort switch adjust something in the shock??
That setting controls the valves in the shocks, firm or soft, has nothing to do with ride height. Height is controlled by speed and the height sensors.

Quick Reply: GX470 Air Suspension conversion