GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep

Old 12-10-14, 04:14 PM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 470SNC
I'm about the same 06 with 94k miles, how much was the timing belt service if you dont mind me asking?
470SNC, if you're looking for a reliable mechanic nearby, try this guys out. Rob is a friend of mine and he owns the shop. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mastertek-in...m_source=yahoo. Mine is 2006 but I only have 70K miles. I will most likely do the timing belt in 2016.

As for the OP, I'm modifying my rig to be an expedition truck so I will keep it indefinitely. The engine is a proven design and will easily last 300K miles. I will probably do a transmission fluid change just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-12-14, 07:40 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am going to ......

Originally Posted by nr04
470snc, if you're looking for a reliable mechanic nearby, try this guys out. Rob is a friend of mine and he owns the shop. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mastertek-in...m_source=yahoo. Mine is 2006 but i only have 70k miles. I will most likely do the timing belt in 2016.

As for the op, i'm modifying my rig to be an expedition truck so i will keep it indefinitely. The engine is a proven design and will easily last 300k miles. I will probably do a transmission fluid change just to be on the safe side.

keep my 04 gx470 for another 200,000 miles.....
Old 12-12-14, 08:46 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NR04
470SNC, if you're looking for a reliable mechanic nearby, try this guys out. Rob is a friend of mine and he owns the shop. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mastertek-in...m_source=yahoo. Mine is 2006 but I only have 70K miles. I will most likely do the timing belt in 2016.

As for the OP, I'm modifying my rig to be an expedition truck so I will keep it indefinitely. The engine is a proven design and will easily last 300K miles. I will probably do a transmission fluid change just to be on the safe side.
Thanks buddy, we gotta go wheeling soon since youre so close! hit me up via pm
Old 12-12-14, 11:45 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Randy20g
Ok guys...here we go with the history...

Oil has been Pennzoil Ultra with the original (better) Toyota filters (90915-20004) every 5k or so

Repairs:
backup cam failure (TSB) - replaced under warranty
ML amp failure (kids & liquid) replaced under warranty
rear air suspension compressor failure - replaced under warranty

Radiator leak at 110k - replaced with new oem radiator myself

driveshaft thump at 140k - replaced with new oem part myself (covered 75% by Lexus cust service)

drivers seat seatbelt latch with airbag sensor/harness. (caused srs light) - replaced with new oem part myself. (inexpensive part)

Front left wheel bearing failure at 190k - replaced bearing/hub assembly with new oem parts pre-assembled by Toyota tech in VA. myself (he was selling assemblies on Ebay) NO other failures to date. Note: this tech was using oem parts from his parts department. (not mix/match doorman/koyo) The hub, bearing and seals are all oem.

rear shocks at 250k+ - replaced with new oem parts myself

Cylinder #8 ignition coil failure at 270k - replaced with 1 new oem coil. Other 7 are still fine.

Transmission cooler lines under radiator - 290k - Lines corroded (probably from rad leak) over time. Finally started leaking WS atf. Replaced lines with new oem part, replaced WS fluid twice in transmission to insure new fluid. Used Techstream to ensure proper level.

front shocks at 300k+ - replaced with new oem parts myself

Front blower motor for HVAC at 310k - replaced with autozone part (not balanced and caused noise) - replaced again with new oem part myself. (noise gone) autozone=cheap chinese motor)

rear suspension airbags, lines and reservoir at 320k - replaced with new oem parts myself. (truck was like a bounce house before repair. System leaking down after shutdown).

I have replaced the entire exhaust system after both manifolds. Cross pipe, passenger cat pipe, muffler. Leak in the passenger side pipe and union caused inefficient cat code. Muffler developed rust hole. Gathered all parts, did entire system in 1 shot.

Brakes - I wont bore everyone with this. We all know about the crummy calipers and I am no exception to that. I have been through 3 front calipers on both sides. They are from advance auto and have a lifetime warranty so I don't care if they seize again. I keep 1 set on hand to swap out in case they are seized during a brake job. I then take the bad ones back to advance, get new, and on the shelf they go, ready for the next failure. OEM calipers are no better, as the advance ones are simply oem units that are rebuilt. I live in the North East so I expect it.
Rears have had 1 rotor change on each side, and several pad changes. NO parking brake shoes replaced yet.

Lastly....I have replaced all 4 o2 sensors over the last 100k. 1 sensor caused a ck eng light. The others were replaced when doing the exhaust mentioned above.

That covers the repairs....

As for other replacements....

I have a good set of hyper wheels for the summer and the original peeling silver wheels with snows for the winter.
HID xenon depot since new
I keep a stock of green bulbs as they seem to love to burn out from time to time in various switches. (seat heater especially)
replaced a few parts for appearance. Front grille, left front door armrest, mats,

Most parts were purchased from either local dealer at a 28% discount or from Conicelli Toyota in PA at a 25% discount plus 10% off with their Facebook coupon.

Whew...I believe that;s it....If I forgot anything, I'll update it...
Randy,

Thanks for taking the effort on such a thorough report! It is helpful to see what to expect on long term ownership.

I recently sold my 2005 GX with 109K, becasue I was getting the impression that the air suspension systems started to get expensive problems around 120K. It amazes me that you got to 320K with yours! I replaced it with a 2009 GX with 32K. Now I feel comforatable keeping this one for a long, long time.

For over 300K you really have not had to do that much to it.

How has the driver's seat held up?

Thanks again,

Marty
Old 01-05-15, 05:42 PM
natedog650
Driver School Candidate

Have to say, inspired by some of these posts and appalled at others. Obviously a strong running vehicle capable of a long life with regular maintenance, on the other hand... How do you have a capable vehicle such as the GX with so little miles on it? I guess that's really good for the next owner though. Anyhow, just got a second hand 06 GX and has about 83k on it now. Planning a slow build into an expedition vehicle so planning to keep it a long time, 200k plus is my plan. Meets the family's immediate needs for now though.
Old 01-06-15, 12:39 AM
GXallday
Driver

2003 with just 100,500 miles. Bought it last June with 94K. Plan to keep it for a few years. Will probably go for something more fuel efficient. I commute city only so I get about 12mpg.
Old 01-10-15, 07:26 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

2004 Gx 36,000 miles one owner going too keep for awhile , new timing belt , water pump , spark plugs , due to age of GX , no issues but the battery .
Old 01-12-15, 08:07 AM
NR04
Rookie

[QUOTE=natedog650;8853946.. How do you have a capable vehicle such as the GX with so little miles on it? [/QUOTE]

Because some soccer mom in Newport Beach drove it for carpooling and then decided to trade it in for a new BMW. I picked it up for a reasonably good price and I'm currently building it for expedition purpose. I don't use this as my primary car so it will be awhile before it hits 100K. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time... until Toyota decides to build a more off-road worthy vehicle, which is highly unlikely.
Old 01-13-15, 05:50 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

03 GX, 120K miles. Bought it in 06 and have babied it since, but the desert heat has been tough on it.
Here's the list of Items I've repaired.

Prior to 70K miles and under warranty:
Navi unit
Rear AC coil
Ambient temp sensor
Rear thump (TSB)
Instrument Cluster (Dead LEDs)
Steering wheel (wood began peeling)
Two blown front speakers

70K - 100K miles - Trouble free

After 100K miles:
Ride hight sensors
Rear air springs
Rear shocks
Front drive shafts
Radiator
Hood Struts
Front lower control arm bushings (I think that's what it was. Was told it was the fix for chewing up tires)
Four blown speakers
Warped brake rotors...way too often. On my 4th set since 40K miles
Two HVAC servos

Currently annoying issues:
HVAC servo motors...again
Instrument cluster LEDs are out in spots again
Continues to chew up tires on the right side, but alignment and suspension checks out
Screeching at start up...pending diagnosis
Shifts into first from revers twice...pending diagnosis
Dash split last year....it's never gone without the Lexus custom fit sunshade when parked and from windows are tinted
Paint is failing on horizontal surfaces, even though waxed every 6 months prior to and after our hot summers.

I had high hopes of keeping the truck well into the 200K range, but at this rate, I can't seem to keep up. I have an independent mechanic do what I can't or don't have time for, but spent over $3500 in repairs last year alone. I love hearing about those flawless GXs running well into the 300K range, but mine's been a battle
Old 01-13-15, 08:17 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Bought ours nearly 2 years ago with 132,000kms, it's just about to roll over 180,000kms now, so we're putting nearly 25,000km/year on it, which is a bit above average. We had the timing belt/water pump service done when we got it, and ended up doing a radiator at the same time as it was found to be slowly seeping (pink deposits on the core).

We have since replaced a front caliper, and all 4 rotors and pads, sparkplugs, all fluids and filters, and likely a few other little things along the way. It's been thirsty (averaging 13.5-16mpg) but reliable and comfortable daily driver, family hauler, trailer tow rig, road tripper. Now that I'm all caught up on maintenance, we'll be keeping this one until there becomes a reason to replace it (likely the wife wanting something different, but she's quite content with it for now).
Old 01-13-15, 08:49 PM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiTownGX
Randy,

Thanks for taking the effort on such a thorough report! It is helpful to see what to expect on long term ownership.

I recently sold my 2005 GX with 109K, becasue I was getting the impression that the air suspension systems started to get expensive problems around 120K. It amazes me that you got to 320K with yours! I replaced it with a 2009 GX with 32K. Now I feel comforatable keeping this one for a long, long time.

For over 300K you really have not had to do that much to it.

How has the driver's seat held up?

Thanks again,

Marty
The front seats look pretty good. NO rips, just the usual creasing on the side bolsters.

I can now add 1 more thing to the list. I had to put a windshield in 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-19-15, 12:24 PM
Randy20g
Driver

Ok guys, time to add another item to the list.

Today was timing belt day.. I changed the belt, tensioner, all pulleys, v belt, vbelt tensioner, water pump, all bolts, new rad hoses, etc....

Have a look at what a 370k timing belt looks like....I'd say I dodged a bullet.
Attached Thumbnails Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep-gx470-tbelt.jpg  
Old 09-19-15, 12:25 PM
Randy20g
Driver

Disassembled photo.
Attached Thumbnails Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep-gx470-diss.jpg  
Old 09-19-15, 12:27 PM
Randy20g
Driver

This is one great tool to have for crank bolts.....
Attached Thumbnails Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep-gx470-crank.jpg  
Old 09-19-15, 05:25 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That tool is awesome I wonder if the crank pulley needs to changes as well ?
Also I could not believe the water pump didn't leak all those miles since most people change that for good insurance every 100k miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep