GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep

Old 11-11-14, 08:51 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for that many miles, most of that seems pretty regular maintenance, awesome!
Old 11-11-14, 10:55 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy20g
Ok guys...here we go with the history...

Oil has been Pennzoil Ultra with the original (better) Toyota filters (90915-20004) every 5k or so

Repairs:
backup cam failure (TSB) - replaced under warranty
ML amp failure (kids & liquid) replaced under warranty
rear air suspension compressor failure - replaced under warranty

Radiator leak at 110k - replaced with new oem radiator myself

driveshaft thump at 140k - replaced with new oem part myself (covered 75% by Lexus cust service)

drivers seat seatbelt latch with airbag sensor/harness. (caused srs light) - replaced with new oem part myself. (inexpensive part)

Front left wheel bearing failure at 190k - replaced bearing/hub assembly with new oem parts pre-assembled by Toyota tech in VA. myself (he was selling assemblies on Ebay) NO other failures to date. Note: this tech was using oem parts from his parts department. (not mix/match doorman/koyo) The hub, bearing and seals are all oem.

rear shocks at 250k+ - replaced with new oem parts myself

Cylinder #8 ignition coil failure at 270k - replaced with 1 new oem coil. Other 7 are still fine.

Transmission cooler lines under radiator - 290k - Lines corroded (probably from rad leak) over time. Finally started leaking WS atf. Replaced lines with new oem part, replaced WS fluid twice in transmission to insure new fluid. Used Techstream to ensure proper level.

front shocks at 300k+ - replaced with new oem parts myself

Front blower motor for HVAC at 310k - replaced with autozone part (not balanced and caused noise) - replaced again with new oem part myself. (noise gone) autozone=cheap chinese motor)

rear suspension airbags, lines and reservoir at 320k - replaced with new oem parts myself. (truck was like a bounce house before repair. System leaking down after shutdown).

I have replaced the entire exhaust system after both manifolds. Cross pipe, passenger cat pipe, muffler. Leak in the passenger side pipe and union caused inefficient cat code. Muffler developed rust hole. Gathered all parts, did entire system in 1 shot.

Brakes - I wont bore everyone with this. We all know about the crummy calipers and I am no exception to that. I have been through 3 front calipers on both sides. They are from advance auto and have a lifetime warranty so I don't care if they seize again. I keep 1 set on hand to swap out in case they are seized during a brake job. I then take the bad ones back to advance, get new, and on the shelf they go, ready for the next failure. OEM calipers are no better, as the advance ones are simply oem units that are rebuilt. I live in the North East so I expect it.
Rears have had 1 rotor change on each side, and several pad changes. NO parking brake shoes replaced yet.

Lastly....I have replaced all 4 o2 sensors over the last 100k. 1 sensor caused a ck eng light. The others were replaced when doing the exhaust mentioned above.

That covers the repairs....

As for other replacements....

I have a good set of hyper wheels for the summer and the original peeling silver wheels with snows for the winter.
HID xenon depot since new
I keep a stock of green bulbs as they seem to love to burn out from time to time in various switches. (seat heater especially)
replaced a few parts for appearance. Front grille, left front door armrest, mats,

Most parts were purchased from either local dealer at a 28% discount or from Conicelli Toyota in PA at a 25% discount plus 10% off with their Facebook coupon.

Whew...I believe that;s it....If I forgot anything, I'll update it...
Thanks for the info....how many times did you replace the timing belt and any other moving parts in the timing, e.g. Idler bearings or tensioner?
Old 11-11-14, 11:12 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and there it is.... I knew I wouldn't be able to get away without that question coming up...

I don't want to jinx myself but....NEVER. I have not done the job yet. Ironically...I bought all the stuff to do the complete job inc pump over the summer, but did not get to it. So...fingers crossed...

I will most likely get to the job before the end of the year.
Old 11-11-14, 02:02 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by Randy20g
and there it is.... I knew I wouldn't be able to get away without that question coming up...

I don't want to jinx myself but....NEVER. I have not done the job yet. Ironically...I bought all the stuff to do the complete job inc pump over the summer, but did not get to it. So...fingers crossed...

I will most likely get to the job before the end of the year.
WOW! I would have assumed at least once. Well that inspires some confidence in the timing system. I changed out my timing belt with water pump at 67k because the truck is an 04 and I didn't bother with any of the idler bearings or the tensioner. Makes me feel better about not changing the bearings during the job and I must say the old timing belt looked literally brand new. Thanks again for sharing your info with the us.
Old 11-11-14, 04:17 PM
zippymbr
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 has 130k plan on keeping it till it dies or someone kills it! Love this thing, easy to repair just not cheap to repair. I do all my own work, hope to talk Lexus out of a new dash soon.
Old 11-12-14, 10:01 AM
TenzinG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

04 with 131k miles. Keep this amazing car till it dies which will be a long time from now.
Old 11-12-14, 04:54 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

[QUOTE=Randy20g;8783458]Ok guys...here we go with the history...

Randy,thanks for taking the time to share all of that with us.Thats amazing.
Old 11-13-14, 07:54 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
WOW! I would have assumed at least once. Well that inspires some confidence in the timing system. I changed out my timing belt with water pump at 67k because the truck is an 04 and I didn't bother with any of the idler bearings or the tensioner. Makes me feel better about not changing the bearings during the job and I must say the old timing belt looked literally brand new. Thanks again for sharing your info with the us.
As a tech for Infiniti, I'd feel very safe going past the recommended timing belt mileage replacement. The problem is with the 4.7, it's an interference motor, so unlike my old 4Runner, if the belt goes, it's taking the valves and pistons with it.
Old 11-13-14, 06:42 PM
Randy20g
Driver

As an old Mitsu tech, I am well aware of the joys of an interference motor.
Old 11-14-14, 05:29 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

I had the timing belt and the water pump done by Lexus at 117,000. I have no idea if idler bearings and the tensioner were changed though. Does anyone know if that is normally part of the job ?
Old 11-14-14, 04:11 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I had the timing belt and the water pump done by Lexus at 117,000. I have no idea if idler bearings and the tensioner were changed though. Does anyone know if that is normally part of the job ?
Highly doubt they were changed. You could always look up the invoice and see if it's listed. When I spoke to techs at lexus and toyota they said they almost never go out. I plan to change the bearings and tensioner at the next timing belt change regardless but my vehicle is at 67k...if I keep the vehicle long enough, I personally wouldn't go past 180k without changing the idler pullys and tensioner.
Old 11-14-14, 05:06 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info....how many times did you replace the timing belt and any other moving parts in the timing, e.g. Idler bearings or tensioner?
Or Starter, Alternator or secondary air pump?
Old 11-16-14, 07:38 PM
Randy20g
Driver

Originally Posted by burny
Or Starter, Alternator or secondary air pump?
If I had replaced ANY of those I would have mentioned it.

EVERYTHING that has been done to this truck is listed above.

There were no omissions.
Old 11-24-14, 08:23 AM
GRAYM
Driver

See that you replaced the airbags etc....do you have a parts list that you used? right now mine is really bad....the car does not go up or down when driving...normally I would hear the car lower when done driving and parked...doesn't do that anymore. Note: I have 230K on mine original owner since 03!!

Thanks for your help
Old 12-08-14, 02:12 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Bought my 2004 GX470 in November 2013 with 108,000 miles. Now 13 months later, the odo reads 122,525. See my signature below for the mods done since the purchase. The only 'problem' encountered during ownership was the transfer case actuator oil leak. Fixed that myself after much hand wringing and research. Plan on keeping this rig for at least another 5 years. That should put the GX close to the 200,000 mile mark.

Recently merged into a pack of 'fast company' on I-80 between Park City and SLC. The Icon suspension handled the dozens and dozens of curves great. Very confidence inspiring handling for a lifted big boy at speed. I've done this same stretch of road numerous times in my '91 Honda CRX Si so I have that for comparison. Obviously, the GX ain't no CRX through the corners!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep