GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

MPG Crappy

Old 11-05-14, 03:54 PM
jpnut
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Just bought an 03' and ran 2 tanks through it. I'm averaging 15.8mpg on my 3.5 mile trip to work in stop and go.
What tire pressure are you holding? I'm at 36 psi roughly same commute and get 11.9 mpg.
Old 11-06-14, 04:29 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I thought about my original past that started this thread, the more I realized the 13-14mpg I am experiencing is to be expected. The reality is that most of my driving is in-town, and the GX is only rated for 14 City if I recall. The new GX460 is rated for 15.

When I started this, I had just sold my wife's Prius that I had been driving about 6 months. Guess the reality of the V-8 was setting in.

At least gas prices have consistently dropped since then. Now I need to follow the "How long do you plan to keep the GX" thread. For now I got rid of the Prius payment and insurance on it. I also upped my deductibles. Saving roughly $550 a month that I'm putting into a sinking fund for the next ride.
Old 11-07-14, 12:04 AM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
There's really no reason to try and prove what the factory recommends is wrong.
Except in my 03 manual the recommended gas is 87 octane. so...
Old 11-07-14, 07:52 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GXallday
Except in my 03 manual the recommended gas is 87 octane. so...
If you didn't read the entire thread, we already got to the realization and conclusion that it's different for the earlier years(03-04). And I think it's pretty clear what I said too, "what the factory recommends".
Old 11-07-14, 11:46 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jpnut
What tire pressure are you holding? I'm at 36 psi roughly same commute and get 11.9 mpg.
same. My tires are at 36psi
Old 11-10-14, 10:18 AM
adr5
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
What you are ignoring is that an engine with a compression ratio of 10:1 has absolutely no need for fuel with an octane rating above 87, and, with that 10:1 compression ratio, there should be no knocking whatever with 87 octane fuel.

As I said in an earlier post, I've had my GX since it was new in 2005. I have never used anything but regular 87 octane fuel. I have never heard a single engine knock, and I have consistently gotten 20 mpg (actually calculated) fuel economy in my driving, very little of which is in stop-and-go conditions, but, even if I was doing a lot of stop-and-go driving, I'm confident that my fuel economy would still be as good or better than what people using premium fuel are getting.
Lots of engines with less than 10:1 compression ratios will knock. Especially as engines get older and if you get some carbon built up on the pistons. That you get no engine knock probably means your knock sensor is working just fine and it is doing it's job.
Old 11-10-14, 10:22 AM
adr5
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is where how you drive comes into play. How do you accelerate away from stop lights? Do you have more traffic lights? Do you usually carry passengers? What's the weather light where you are? Any hills?
Old 11-10-14, 05:48 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Different driver alone could various by +/- 5mpg, some people hit the gas like a yo-yo.
Old 11-22-14, 02:56 PM
jpnut
Rookie

Just got 11.2 mpg this past week, 95% city. About 10 min warm up in the morning, each morning, for the comfort of the kiddos. I do tend to carry light load (~100 pound) and I do treat the pedal like my old 3 series . Will adjust driving habits in terms of hitting the accelerator too rough. Does warming up the vehicle cost that much fuel?
Old 11-22-14, 07:12 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got 11.2 mpg this past week, 95% city. About 10 min warm up in the morning, each morning, for the comfort of the kiddos. I do tend to carry light load (~100 pound) and I do treat the pedal like my old 3 series . Will adjust driving habits in terms of hitting the accelerator too rough. Does warming up the vehicle cost that much fuel?
Yes it is pretty sure this thing drinks gas like us drinking beer in winter if it is just driven in city and warming up everymorning.
Old 11-24-14, 06:39 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Does warming up the vehicle cost that much fuel?
Yes. You're running the engine but not going anywhere. So your miles are zero in the MPG equation.

Best thing to do is drive gently until the needle on the temperature gauge starts to move, then drive normally.

If you use the Auto setting on the climate control, it won't blow cold air -- the fan stays on low speed until the engine gets warm enough to provide some heat, then it'll blow faster. So the cabin will be a little chilly, but you won't have cold air blowing on you, so better than otherwise.

Chip H.
Old 11-24-14, 07:14 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Cool

My mpg tanks when I warm my truck up in the morning too. Warming it up doesn't use any more fuel than driving it cold, it just appears that way because the MPG equation wasn't made by Stephen Hawking.
Old 11-24-14, 09:23 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Warming the engine up in the morning does not consume a lot of gas. It only looks like it, but overnight, gas evaporates. Which goes to the charcoal canister as fumes, and is used by the engine at start up.
Old 11-27-14, 06:29 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Warming the engine up in the morning does not consume a lot of gas. It only looks like it, but overnight, gas evaporates. Which goes to the charcoal canister as fumes, and is used by the engine at start up.
Idling ANY car in open loop operation uses A LOT of fuel. Fuel evaporation in a sealed system is next to nominal, not even enough for discussion. Open loop operation doesn't use any input from air fuel sensors or oxygen sensors. It's just a pre programmed set of parameters to help an engine run smoothly when cold.
Old 11-27-14, 07:24 AM
jpnut
Rookie

Major update! 14.23 mpg up from 11.2. 30/70% Highway/City. On regular with the second of two Lucas Fuel back to back treatments as per another post on this forum

I reduced idling overall as well as reduced idling to less than 3 minutes. Also, I took it easy on the pedal and did not touch >70 mph staying within 1500 to 1800 rpm as much as possible. Cruised to stop lights, signs, traffic etc. and generally drove slower. Cargo weight was not much of a factor.

Next tank: Regular with 10% EtOH, and filled all tires to 38 psi as verified by Wawa air regulator. My tires were at FR:32 FL:28 RL:22 RR:23 during test so I hope I should improve slightly moving forward. Guess my pen tire gauge isn't worth a damn and will monitor for leaks throughout the next datas set.

Cost savings: For every half tank (~10 gallons) I get ~2 free gallons driving "conservatively". At 2.65/gallon, thats just over $10 savings per tank!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPG Crappy