GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My new to me GX has been at the dealership all week…

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 09:59 AM
ChimpanZed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new to me GX has been at the dealership all week…

So I'm having a rather infuriating week related to my (new to me) GX470. I picked up this 2008 with 42K on the odometer just over two weeks ago from Sterling McCall Honda in Kingwood, TX. I was referred to their sister dealership by Sterling McCall Lexus when I came in looking for a low mile GX.

Within the first few days of owning it I got symptoms consistent with the well documented "thunk". Sometimes it would happen just before coming to a stop, right after, or wouldn't happen at all. I lived with it for about a week and a half before bringing it to Sterling McCall Lexus for an inspection on Monday 9/29. I described the issue, handed the guy a hard copy of the TSB, compared my VIN to the VIN where the part number changed (mine is just barely before the switch-over to the new part) and asked them to check it out. They gave me a loaner (an ES300)

I didn't hear back from them until Wednesday 10/1. When I got this (abridged to the recommended service):

Here is some information on your Lexus GX470:

• Replace battery (Battery fails performance test) – The battery is brand new and was installed by Sterling McCall Honda. I tested it with a batter tested both static and under load. It’s brand spanking new.

• Replace left front c/v boot kit (left front axle boot seeping) – The only reason I doubt the truth of this is because of the rest of this recommended services. By the way, how’s $610.97 sound for this service?

• Replace drive shaft(s) (Found driveline slip-joint worn) – Do they mean the propeller shaft that’s supposed to be replaced in the TSB? I suppose that the “In Store” price plus the 0.5 hours of labor at $135 an hour is how they get to $502.80. The new part cost from Sewell:
- In Store: $449.96
- Online: $392.94
- ClubLexus: $274.48

• Replace both windshield wiper blade inserts – Ridiculous. Yes, they’re Bosch aftermarket and a week old. Proof.

• Replace rear wiper blade insert (Found rear wiper blade worn) – Bull****. It’s a Bosch wiper that is a week old. Same proof.

• Perform front/rear/transfer case service (Found front differential fluid to be dirty/contaminated) – The fluid was changed by the same dealership roughly 10K miles and 29 months ago. Proof. I called bull**** and told them as much. Their response, “We don’t know where the car has been during that time.” Something tells me that the middle-aged Thai woman that owned the car before me wasn't offroading the vehicle.

So today is Friday and I still don’t have my GX back. I last spoke with them on Wednesday when the technician repeatedly told me that they had to, “tear apart my car” to find the source of the noise. I authorized the time and cost to do a diagnostic with the understanding that the cost of any time spent would be applied to any service performed. I wrote them this morning and have received no response. At this point I just want the car back. I’ll do the TSB service myself for the cost of the part from Sewell and an hour of my time.

Stealership. Am I right?

So thanks for listening to my rant. Take from it what you will.

Last edited by ChimpanZed; 10-03-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 11:08 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you with regards to the thump when coming to a stop. I've only had my 2008 GX with 65k miles for about 2 weeks too. If I understand correctly, this is a feature of Lexus/Toyota wherein the transmission disengages when you're on a full stop or an incline, in that way the vehicle doesn't move forward when you let go of the gas. I believe that even their cars have this feature. My guess is, some bushings are a little bit worn due to age/mileage that is why we feel it more than when it was brand new or compared to brand new vehicles, but I do believe that this shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Bringing your vehicle in the dealership will always go with a lot of recommended service, especially when it's not dealership maintained. Dealerships follow a checklist of things that breakdown at certain age/mileage. And dealerships doesn't really look at parts if it will still last for some more miles before it breaks or its already broken, rather if it's no longer in perfect condition it is recommended that they fix it immediately.

I don't really see it as a money making scheme these dealerships run, especially for used cars unless you bought it from them also, but it is also the only way they can guarantee their products to last and not cause problems in the future which will only bring the brand bad rep once we second owners experience problems.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-14, 11:34 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

good lord man. I would have gone off the deep end if they did all of that without checking with me first.
Old 10-03-14, 11:51 AM
TyneeGX
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same service results dealing with VW on my Phaeton, which is why I would never buy a VW again, nor can I recommend anyone else get one. Even if I found a mechanic I really liked at one of the dealers, the service reps would tack on a litany of unneeded items. Unfortunately I have yet to find any manufacturer that operates their service departments differently.
Good luck with yours. I would recommend finding a local mechanic you like and trust.
I always say you need 3 trustworthy people in life to survive: a doctor, a lawyer, and a mechanic.
Old 10-03-14, 01:32 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Has anyone tried lubing the drive shaft..it's an every 5000 mile service for the rear shaft and 10,000 for the front. I have a 2004, had the clunk until I started lubing it myself with royal purple synthetic...gone!

But good rant none the less....you already answered most of the concerns...have the doctors discharge your patient and find a new hospital before it's too late..

Last edited by ALAN553; 10-03-14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 03:01 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Has anyone tried lubing the drive shaft..it's an every 5000 mile service for the rear shaft and 10,000 for the front. I have a 2004, had the clunk until I started lubing it myself with royal purple synthetic...gone!

+1

I completely FIXED the drive shaft clunk on my 2005 GX by using some good quality synthetic grease and a grease gun. The clunk is gone. It's been gone for 7k+ miles now.
Total cost for grease and gun was $40.

This is a common fix discussed on this forum and other Lexus/Toyota SUV forums.
Keep the drive shaft joints well lubed and there will be no clunk.
Old 10-03-14, 03:08 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Good to know. I'll give that a try soon. So, just lube the U-joints directly?
Old 10-03-14, 03:27 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the driveshaft has multiple zerk fittings at the joints that you can use a grease gun to grease it
Old 10-03-14, 04:41 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

put on jack stands and put truck in N with emergency brake off and use your foot to spin a rear tire to get to all 3 fittings easily
Old 10-03-14, 04:44 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Oh, ok cool. I guess I really need to buy a grease gun then. Since I got some people's attention in this thread, maybe someone can tell me where this squeaking sound is coming from whenever I close/slam doors of my GX. It doesn't matter which door any small vibration was strong enough to make whatever it is squeak. It sounds like something loose. And I can strongly hear it in the passenger side, almost sounds like it's right behind the stepboard. TIA
Old 10-03-14, 05:56 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
put on jack stands and put truck in N with emergency brake off and use your foot to spin a rear tire to get to all 3 fittings easily
Six total, one on each shaft, and two on each yoke
Old 10-04-14, 04:42 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You might need lube yourself...

I suspect you can check the age of the battery. I've got an '08 and have replaced the battery once, so it might be a fair recommendation if its the factory orig battery.

You can easily get a second opinion on the seepy / leaky CV joint from another shop. Do it.

I don't know about the clunk warranty, but goodwill warranty coverage may be possible if you ask politely. You may need to go to another Lexus stealership if you've burned this bridge!

The other stuff? You already know the answer.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 10-12-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-04-14, 11:28 AM
ChimpanZed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
You might need lube yourself...

I suspect you can check the age of the battery. I've got an '08 and have replaced the battery once, so it might be a fair recommendation if its the factory orig battery.
As mentioned, the battery was replaced a few weeks ago. The mfg date is April, 2014.
Old 10-04-14, 12:57 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

They all suck. Too bad they didn't transfer the vehicle to their Lexus store and sell it as a CPO.
Old 10-05-14, 07:23 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Tell them to go to hell. They are trying to take advantage of the situation.

Are you mechanically inclined? New CV shafts are actually relatively simple to do.... and i would crawl under and take a look myself as well to see just how "bad" the boot is!

Quick Reply: My new to me GX has been at the dealership all week…