GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wood trim 2003-07 versus 2008-09

Old 09-23-14, 06:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I know that some of you are absolutely convinced that there is no wood in the trim pieces and that you think that it is funny that anyone could think otherwise.

I'd like to request that everyone take close-up pictures of two pieces of trim, the one on the dash below and to the left of the steering wheel and the one on the front passenger side door, and post them here. Then, we can all compare them to see if, as I've said, the grain pattern is different from one vehicle to the next.

If we see that the grain is different on each vehicle, that should establish either that there is real wood in those trim pieces or that Lexus spent a whole lot of money fabricating plastic pieces that are unique for each vehicle.
Old 09-23-14, 11:21 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it could be possible that both sides are right. I also own a 1970 240Z, which has a "wood" steering wheel. There was a long posting war over that a few years ago. We finally determined that the "wood" steering wheel was actually a composite material that contained wood sawdust in it when it was manufactured. As a result, it looked very convincing as real wood. You can even stain and polyurethane it like real wood.

I cannot confirm what Lexus did though.
Old 09-23-14, 11:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If you look at p/n 55474A & B you'll see they have clips on the back -- the parts are molded plastic. Now it may still have a veneer on it. I don't recall noticing it when I had that part out, but I'll take another look in a day or two.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/5510731.jpg

The only part I'm reasonably certain is real wood™ is p/n 58808 (the trim around the transfer case ****). Notice it doesn't have clips, but is screwed into from beneath. I have not had it out yet, so cannot confirm.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/581707B.jpg

Chip H.
Old 09-23-14, 06:46 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
If you look at p/n 55474A & B you'll see they have clips on the back -- the parts are molded plastic. Now it may still have a veneer on it. I don't recall noticing it when I had that part out, but I'll take another look in a day or two.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/5510731.jpg

The only part I'm reasonably certain is real wood™ is p/n 58808 (the trim around the transfer case ****). Notice it doesn't have clips, but is screwed into from beneath. I have not had it out yet, so cannot confirm.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/581707B.jpg

Chip H.
I am certain the 55475A & 55474B are plastic parts. I had them out for a mod and broke one of the clip.
Old 09-23-14, 07:00 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GXMeister
Agree... makes no sense that they would all of the sudden find a darker source of wood in the last two model years....especially if they have birdseye maple as an option.
That makes perfect sense! They add options near the end of a vehicles generational cycle in an effort to sell more. Some people don't like the lighter colored stuff, so the make changes based on the clientele.
Old 09-24-14, 02:31 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

When I was driving the GX today, I noticed something that I had not ever noticed before. I was looking at the two trim pieces on either side of the center stack with the navigation screen, audio controls, etc. If you look at those two pieces where they surround the air vents, you will clearly see the seam where the wood veneer is laminated to the plastic base.

As I've said earlier, I don't question at all whether the bases of those trim pieces are plastic, but there is wood veneer on top.

A few posts back, I suggested that, if people would post pictures of a couple of the trim pieces on their GXs, we would clearly see that the wood on each vehicle has a distinctly different grain pattern. I see that no one has posted such pictures. I would be happy to post pictures of mine, but I'll wait until I see that I'm not the only one doing so. I'm certain that, by comparing pictures of the trim on different GXs and seeing that they all have different grain patterns, there would be no question that there is wood (veneer) on those pieces.
Old 09-25-14, 06:43 AM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
When I was driving the GX today, I noticed something that I had not ever noticed before. I was looking at the two trim pieces on either side of the center stack with the navigation screen, audio controls, etc. If you look at those two pieces where they surround the air vents, you will clearly see the seam where the wood veneer is laminated to the plastic base.

As I've said earlier, I don't question at all whether the bases of those trim pieces are plastic, but there is wood veneer on top.

A few posts back, I suggested that, if people would post pictures of a couple of the trim pieces on their GXs, we would clearly see that the wood on each vehicle has a distinctly different grain pattern. I see that no one has posted such pictures. I would be happy to post pictures of mine, but I'll wait until I see that I'm not the only one doing so. I'm certain that, by comparing pictures of the trim on different GXs and seeing that they all have different grain patterns, there would be no question that there is wood (veneer) on those pieces.
It is plausible that wood could be laminated into a plastic base. However, even if they trim is plastic, specific pieces would not have the exact same pattern like a piece of tile. If injection molded, they would all have different swirl patterns.

However, what would explain Lexus deviating the wood color scheme the last two model years?
Old 09-25-14, 07:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GXMeister
It is plausible that wood could be laminated into a plastic base. However, even if they trim is plastic, specific pieces would not have the exact same pattern like a piece of tile. If injection molded, they would all have different swirl patterns.

However, what would explain Lexus deviating the wood color scheme the last two model years?
It is not uncommon for Lexus (or other vehicle manufacturers) to make changes in the finishes of trim pieces from one year to another within a generation of a vehicle. For example, with the generation 1 GX, Lexus changed the trim around both the interior and exterior door handles, the tail light array, etc. as the years of the generation 1 GX progressed.

Also, when I talk about different grain, I'm talking about more than just swirl. There is a difference, from one GX to another, in the size and color of the knots and grain. And, if you look at the panels that I referred to in my previous post, not only do you clearly see the seam where the wood veneer has been laminated to the plastic, but, in the veneer, you see the wood grain, but, in the visible part of the plastic below it, there is no evidence of grain at all.
Old 10-04-14, 04:49 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus factory wood is incredibly thin (paper thin!) with a lot of lacquer on it to build up its strength.

Whether or not we have wood remains to be seen, but I believe we do. All around.

The red wood in the '08-09 looked cool to me online, but in person it's a let down. I can't see much grain in the center stack surround so it looks like plastic. The trim on the doors looks better.