GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Which SUV would you choose in this situation
RX330
9.52%
Toyota 4-runner
2.38%
Honda Pilot/ Acura MDX
9.52%
Lexus GX-470
11.90%
Infintity FX-45
21.43%
American SUV
45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Which SUV would SATAN drive??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 05:53 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which SUV would SATAN drive??

I just received this months Automobile magazine titled "which suv would satan drive" It has an indepth review of many of the newer SUV's on the market today.

I am planning on purchasing my next SUV in the coming months. The choices are becoming increasing difficult as there are so many new SUV's that have come to market. Each SUV has their own advantages and disadvantages. I am hoping that some of you guys can help me narrow my choices. NAVIGATION is a must for me.

I have narrowed my search to 5 SUV's and listed a brief descriptions of pros and cons:

The RX300 is silky smooth, easy to drive almost auto like. The RX330 will even be a better larger vehicle the rx300. Still waiting to see this in person and for a test drive. Wife prefers this car more than anything.

Toyota 4runner -test drove the V8. Wow, wonderful torque band in every gear and smooth all the way through. Has the same V8 engine as in the GX. Much faster than the GX. I am biased towards the sport version with X-reas suspension. I priced out a V6 sport edition with the NAV option and it comes to $31k - not bad. Over 20k savings from a GX

Infinity FX-45 Power! Power! Power! is the only reason I would into this. Since I already have a GS400 I can get very accustomed to this SUV's acceleration. It is short on space, not a true SUV but the 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds ...ouch! Got to hand it to infinity for making this car. Priced with all option including NAV comes to $53K. But since I plan on keeping the GS not sure if I need another speed demon.

Lexus GX470- Well definitely the most luxurious of the bunch. Comes with the 7 seat option and a awesome NAV system. No HID's is a bit disappointing. The rear end looks like a GM vehicle from behind. Swing gate is more of a nuisance than the lift up gate. Also tops out over 50k. But for those of you who own your own business this qualifies for that special tax loophole. Read this article for more info: http://www.texomamanagement.com/Nov2002.htm
The GX is not listed but this article came out prior the GX release. Some of the newer 03 vehicles are not listed but the GX does qualify.
Honda Pilot w/NAV - Got awesome crash test ratings, okay looking SUV. Navigation is nice, pretty bland interior. Has the 3rd row option. No discounts on this car and there is a wait list. But prices out at 32.5k with NAV. The pilot not a true 4x4 system. Does anyone know if this car qualifies for the tax loophole?

So you can see I am pretty confused but when I asked which car I should get from a pretty liberal co-worker he responded with a scary answer: What he said to me was "which SUV would you prefer to drive is there was mass exodus of people out of the tri-state area heading west." At first I did not get what he was eluding too, but than I quickly understood what he was talking about.
With the nation on a terror alert and the ever constant fear of terror attacks in the USA most amercians are on a constant alert. God forbid if there was a nuclear or dirty bomb explosion that would cause mass chaos in the tri-state NYC area where I live. The first thing that would come to my mind would be pack up the family and drive like a mad man away from the toxic cloud. He says most people will be thinking the same thing and all the major highways would just be blocked and packed up with cars like you see in the movies. I recently saw a movie like this and I can't remember the name. Anyway, the only way to get around would be pushing your SUV through some extreme offroading situations. I know this all sounds bizarre and pretty stupid but he got me thinking. Which SUV do think would be able to handle such a challenge? With that said we both agreed the 4 runner would be the SUV of choice in extreme situations and gets my vote.
I know this scenario will present for an interesting conversation so lets here your thoughts and opinions.
Old 02-27-03, 03:09 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to checkout. I been eyeing an suv since I am in Michigan... I loved the GX inside and out but the small armrest was a downer for me but I am a big guy so it may not bother others. I will have to test one out again, I am use to my GS with that phat console to toss my arm on, very cozy.
Old 02-27-03, 04:57 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Satan would have to drive one of the old Lamborghini LM-002s. Something on the order of 500hp from a Lambo V12 plus hardpoints in the rear to mount machine guns.
Old 02-27-03, 05:05 PM
SPUDMTN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hello-

Not sure if you're interested, but what about a used LX470? Not sure if you prefer buying new or used...but if you haven't thought about it, take a look!

SPUDMTN
Old 02-28-03, 05:05 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Spudmtn.

I looked at a used LX470. I can pick up a used one in auction for about 28-31K. It can be a 99 or 00. However, NAV is not offered in this car.

A lx470 with NAV is offered from 2001 and onwards. 2001 vehicles have not hit auction yet so these cars from a private or dealer would be marked up too high for it to be good investment.
Old 02-28-03, 05:51 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Satan would definitely drive an original H1 Hummer.
Old 02-28-03, 04:32 PM
Jim Bob
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Satan

He would drive a Studebaker
Old 02-28-03, 05:54 PM
degeester
Rookie

Do the French make a SUV? Would Peugeot P4 count? More likely Satan would drive a Gelaendewagen or Unimog.

Last edited by degeester; 02-28-03 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 10:43 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Which SUV would SATAN drive??

Originally posted by DrewGS4
So you can see I am pretty confused but when I asked which car I should get from a pretty liberal co-worker he responded with a scary answer: What he said to me was "which SUV would you prefer to drive is there was mass exodus of people out of the tri-state area heading west." At first I did not get what he was eluding too, but than I quickly understood what he was talking about.
With the nation on a terror alert and the ever constant fear of terror attacks in the USA most amercians are on a constant alert. God forbid if there was a nuclear or dirty bomb explosion that would cause mass chaos in the tri-state NYC area where I live. The first thing that would come to my mind would be pack up the family and drive like a mad man away from the toxic cloud. He says most people will be thinking the same thing and all the major highways would just be blocked and packed up with cars like you see in the movies. I recently saw a movie like this and I can't remember the name. Anyway, the only way to get around would be pushing your SUV through some extreme offroading situations. I know this all sounds bizarre and pretty stupid but he got me thinking. Which SUV do think would be able to handle such a challenge? With that said we both agreed the 4 runner would be the SUV of choice in extreme situations and gets my vote.
I know this scenario will present for an interesting conversation so lets here your thoughts and opinions.
Im saving that to word cause the next time someone ask me why you drive an SUV Im answering to save my *** from terrorism Im driving over you

Satan would drive a Mercedes G500 or the soon to be released G55, Satan would most likely be wearin a suit talkin on his cell and if he is not driving he would be in a Escalade Limo

As for your SUV selection, RX 330 is nice just need to test drive it to see if it is worth it over an FX 35 with the V6 "280HP'" or go all out for the FX45 with the 315HP V8, the new RX kinda looks like something Mad Max would drive in the future, hey anyone gonna see Mel in the upcoming sequel to Mad Max

The 4Runner and the GX are close, if I did it again I would be in a GX.

Honda Pilot looks like what the Odyssey would look like with 4doors, poor excuse for an SUV people are buying these things and putting in custom leather and moonroofs, they should have bought the MDX to begin with it has everything the Pilot does not.

MDX is a cool looking vehicle but for the price and the waiting list I pased, my friend got one and 2 months later the 260hp engine was out in it, what a *****.

Basically figure out which one you want the 4Runner or GX rememeber Toyota has TRD which offeres aftermarket parts backed by Toy that run with the original warranties, put an SC on either the V8 Runner or GX and bump the HP to 353
Old 03-02-03, 06:57 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Which SUV would SATAN drive??

Originally posted by EDGE2

Basically figure out which one you want the 4Runner or GX rememeber Toyota has TRD which offeres aftermarket parts backed by Toy that run with the original warranties, put an SC on either the V8 Runner or GX and bump the HP to 353 [/B]
There's a supercharger kit for this V8 motor? Can you give me the link to this?
Old 03-02-03, 10:17 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Which SUV would SATAN drive??

Originally posted by looknow12
There's a supercharger kit for this V8 motor? Can you give me the link to this?
http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/4.7_V8_supercharger.htm

It has not been approved for the V8 4Runner or GX cause the ECU is slightly different but it should be soon, TRD has a lot of stuff coming out for these trucks