GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is the GX worth the money compared to the 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 03:22 PM
rhino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the GX worth the money compared to the 4Runner

I love my GX. Its a 10/10 on fit and finish, but it is also $52K.

For $42K and about $5K in discounts, therefore $37K, I can buy a loaded 4Runner Limited.

The 4Runner isnt as nice inside (plasticky, gauges are plasticky, not as refined as the lexus).

But most of the parts are the same as the GX. Same goes for the engine and the transmission ect ect.

In fact it can be said that both cars are pretty much the same car.

So does the top of line Lexus, a 10/10 or 100% worth $15K more than the 9/10 or 90% 4Runner?

Does 10% less fit and finish result in 30% increase in price???

Sometimes I dont think so.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-25-03, 03:52 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Some things to consider in the GX over 4runner:

1. It is quieter...thanks to laminated windows.
2. Better interior design and materials
3. Better stereo
4. MEMORY SEATS...i love them...damn Toyota!
5. Adaptive suspension
6. 3rd row seating
7. Integrated Navi system with 6-disc CD changer
8. More headroom and rear legroom

thanks.
Old 02-25-03, 05:10 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO i think it was... now my dad i dont think he taught it was.. but none the less we still love the gx
Old 02-25-03, 08:47 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it is all relative. Sit in a Toyota and sit in a Lexus. you will immediately know the difference as you have described them yourself. Consider it the difference in finishing costs. Feel the difference in the quality of the leather. See the difference in the quality of the fitment. Also, there was a post a while back in the GS forum where a person was changing out his stereo. When he took the center console off, he was pleasantly surprised to see how much thought and detail went into the GS wiring etc. He was referring to wiring harnesses, tape, loom, etc. In other words there is a lot that goes into a Lexus that you can't see or point to.

Also, consider service. Does the Toyota give you a loaner when you turn it in for service like Lexus does? Not here. It is all about perceived and actual value. I've always been one to pay for what I believe to be good service, but my perspective may be different than others'. As long as you feel you got a good deal and you are satisfied, thats all that matters.

Lastly, I walked away from a head on collision in my first GS without a scratch. Unfortunately the opther party was not as lucky. He happened to be driving a Toyota T100. Please don't get me wrong, I think Toyotas are great cars as well. I am living, breathing and walking proof that Lexi are built very safe. To me that value is priceless.

sorry, edited for spelling.

HTH

MAC

Last edited by 0260n5.7; 02-25-03 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:03 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

Some things to consider in the GX over 4runner

1. Its quieter...Not according to db levels at 70mph
2. Better interior...Subjective, 4Runner has a "Lexus" like interior according to some reviews. I sat in both and I agree.
3. Better stereo....Yes
4. Memory seats
5. Adaptive suspension...4Runner has X-Reas/GX does not
6.3rd row seat...as useless as the rear seats in my SC430
7. Nav system,6 disk changer, 4runner nav system with single
8. More headroom and rear legroom, the interior dimensions are almost the same, the 4Runner has more front shoulder,front hip,rear hip than the GX.

As far as performance the 4Runner is faster.

Crash test results, have not seen anything for either vehicle.

Bottom line, they are pretty equal.

$15,000 grand more for a better warranty and a loaner car, that's pushing it but some people think spending $70 grand on a Boxster S is worth it.

Last edited by dchesanek; 02-25-03 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 05:28 AM
tigmd99
Racer

dchesanek,

Good points...however, a few things:

1. Noise level testing: you canNOT compare two reviews on different days and locations. You can ONLY compare the noise levels if both are tested on the same day, same location, and by the same people. Lexus has publicly announced that they have made the GX significantly quieter than 4runner by adding laminated windows AND more sound materials.

2. No, the interior in GX is a lot nicer...if you bother to read the GX reviews, you will see that. Remember, people who review the 4Runner may not review the GX...therefore, their comments are relative to other SUV in it's class.

3. Adaptive suspension is more costly. Xreas is hydraulic. Adaptive suspension is electronic. It can make a comfy ride or a sporty ride. XREAS cannot. Adaptive suspension varies shock dampening INDEPENDENTLY/individually of other shocks. Think of it as the "independent suspension" of shocks.

4. No, third row seat is OK for me. It is not the best, but should be OK for kids...it is FAR more practical than the SC430 rear seats!

5. Nav system on the GX is integrated and looks better. The nav system on 4Runner is like an aftermarket installation...same on Camry.

6. Of course 4runner is faster...it is lighter (less sound dampening materials, less electronic gizmos, etc.). How much faster?? 0.5 seconds at most...oh yeah, that is real important for a 4400 lbs gorrilla!

7. Crash tests should be the same for both vehicle.

Bottom line: they are not equal. BTW, a fully-loaded 4Runner is not $15K less than GX470.

thanks.
Old 02-26-03, 05:30 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Here are some differences:

Automotive News / September 16, 2002

Kunihiro Hoshi, chief engineer for the GX 470, spoke with Staff Reporter Mark Rechtin at the press launch of the GX 470.

The GX 470 shares a platform with the new Toyota 4Runner. How is the GX 470 different?

Basically, the engine and transmission and brakes are the same, but there also are many differences. The actual body shell, the body-in-white, is different. For example, the ... side glass and front sill are much thicker on the GX, which means you need a different body structure. Also, the suspension settings are much different, because we are dealing with a luxury mid-sized vehicle. We focused on vibration isolation, sound isolation and ride comfort, whereas the 4Runner focuses more on the direct feeling of handling.

Since this was a new segment for Lexus, which vehicles did you benchmark during development?

For interior quality, we benchmarked the BMW X5 from a design and product-quality perspective. From the driving dynamics point of view, the X5 is very nice but is not so nice in the second passenger seat because it is harsh and noisy. For the second seat we wanted the comfort of the Lexus LS 430 or the LX 470. Since I was on the LS 400 development team, I wanted to create a sport-utility with noise, vibration and harshness specs more on that level. We could not find any points on the Mercedes-Benz ML that we wanted to include in the GX. It's not so special.
Old 02-26-03, 08:54 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default the differences are worth it....

I've looked at both and although there are many differences that sold me, one of the major ones was seating position. The four runners as always, stick you on the floor. If you love driving firebirds and camaro's then this is the truck for you. I dont. I like to sit in a normal position - and the GX has that in spades. It's super comfortable. As far as the rest is concerned:

Third row seat: Great to have and it's roomy enough for small adults. It's not a great third row - but it's not bad either.

Suspension: I personally didnt like the x-reas. The lexus is very comfortable and with a switch can handle reasonably well.

Stereo: amazing

Price: A loaded 4 runner with the add-on looking nav system was 41k at the dealer I spoke to. The GX was 48 before taxes. I was happy to pay the extra.

Quality/dealer service: Lexus obviously has it here. Toyotas are great but the service is lacking...

My .02
Old 02-26-03, 03:28 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

tigmd99

First one thing I have noticed on other forums is that most people that have 01 or 02 4Runners do not like the 03. I don't know if its because the 03 is so much better or what the reason.

As far as db levels. SHOW me some numbers. The numbers that I read the 4Runner was more quite. I have never heard of the same driver affecting a noise level unless he had just run a marathon.

No, the interior of the GX is NOT a lot nicer. Its only your opinion.
I read a lot of reviews, how you assume I did not just shows your arrogance. The comments I read said the 4Runner had a "LEXUS LIKE QUALITY" the only vehicle that statement would compare would be, I think, a Lexus.

The third row seat IS NOT "far more practical" than my SC430. I fit my 2 kids in the back seats, thats just about all you can do with the GX.

Bottom line is they are almost equal and because the 4runner is discounted there is about a $12,000 difference with the same options. No one should pay over $500 over invoice on the 4Runner.

I drove both vehicles for a total of 2-3 hours before I decided on the 4Runner. The GX is probably a better vehicle just not $ 12,000 better.
Old 02-26-03, 04:02 PM
tigmd99
Racer

dchesanek,

So, i don't like the '03 4runner, BUT i am defending the value of the GX470??!! Does that make sense to you?? I have NO envy of the '03 4Runner...a person who off-roads will have no envy...trust me. So much better?! Ok...sure....

When was a GX and 4Runner tested back to back by the same driver?? Read my comments again!

Ok, now read the reviews of the GX470...and you will see what they say about the GX's interior (as compared to 4Runner). Go to my site and read it yourself.

Didn't you say that the third-row seats in GX "useless"??? Well, fitting two kids back there is NOT useless, is it?? What did you expect, to fit two basketball player back there??!!

Why do you think the 4Runner is being discounted soooo much for a brand-new design?? Do you realize that it will kill resale value??

Thanks.
Old 02-26-03, 04:44 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

tigmd99

You do not like the 03 4Runner so it does make a lot of sense.

I read your comments again and if were still talking about interior sound pressure levels I still do not understand your point. I really do not think sound pressure levels will change that much and the vehicles tested need to be done at the same time, unless one is being tested in a hurricane or tornado. Right now I'll go with at least some basic data that reflects the 4Runner is more quite.

As far as reviews I did research on my new vehicle for over 4 months, I first was going with a Nissan Murano. I can tell you one thing in the dozens of reviews I have read is the lack of accurate information and for the most part just another person with an opinion.

I said the 3rd row seats were as useless as my SC430. Not "useless" Who was talking about basketball players?? How about a normal size adult for more than 10 min.

As far as resale a lot of people are still paying at or slightly below MSRP on the 4Runner. Paying MSRP does not insure it will retain a high resale number, take a look at the resale on an SC430. I lease and the residual value on the 4Runner was higher than the RX and probably equal to the GX470.

The GX in most situations will cost 30% more than the Limited 4Runner. So if you think the GX is worth the extra money add 30% to the GX cost and tell me what would be your choice?? You have over $ 60,000, Infinity FX45, Porsche Cayenne??
Old 02-26-03, 05:34 PM
rhino
Driver School Candidate

Default The premium I would put on the GX vs. the 4Runner

Again, the disclaimer is that I love my GX.
It is a black beast. It looks much cooler than the 4Runner.....but I think that:

The 4Runner, other than a minor plasticky dash, and low seating position is just as nice inside as a GX. (can anyone say buy a $300 wood kit).

The leather, the fit and finish are pretty much the same high Toyota Motor Co. quality. The engine is the same, and so are most everything else.

The 4Runner, basically is the same car.

So the bottom line is. In my opinion here are the premiums I would put on the differences between the GX and 4Runner:

-Lexus is a better looking car. $1000

-Better driving position, more refined interior. $1000

-With a better stereo. levinson kicks ***. $1000

-Better insulation and sound dampening. (lets face it Lexus is the king at this. There is NO DOUBT that Lexus has better sound dampening than a Toyota. Do your own test drive and find out. That is what I did.) $1000

-More refined suspension system. $1000

-Integrated flush mounted DVD Nav system. $1000

-A loaner when you do your overpriced Lexus service visit (you definitely PAY for the loaner in the difference between the Toyota and GX service. And its not like the service is free like BMW, MB, Audi ect ect.) $zero

-Lexus dealer care $zero

-The prestige in driving the only car that is whispered in the same breath as Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW (Infiniti and Acura are definitely one step down). $zero

I placed what I belive should be the premium alongside each of these and it comes out to about $6000.

On top of the $6000 you have to add approx. $1000 for 3rd row seat and rear A/C and $1000 for the Lexus Link.....

So I would pay a premium of an extra $8000 or $45K ($37 plus $8K) for my GX Lexus.

But Since my Lexus cost $52, I paid about $7000 more than I think it is worth.

Can anyone use an extra $7000 here?

The reason I asked this question is because my wife liked the asthetics/interior of the GX better than the 4Runner. So we bought the GX for the bloody asthetics/interior. I love the GX, and love Lexus, but I would have loved a Toyota too. Especially with the new plasma screen I could have bought with the difference!

Thanks to all of you for the input. Please continue this string.....it is an interesting one, because the truth is---- because Toyota's are such high quality cars, they are encroaching on the differention premium of the Lexus.....and this means that if Lexus doesnt price their premium product more reasonably, you may have more people buying top of the line, super loaded, Toyota's and buying plasma screen TV's.

That is my 700,000 cents.
Old 02-26-03, 06:30 PM
degeester
Rookie

Dollar for Dollar I will take the GX-470 over the 4-Runner. I have a GX-470 and I am very happy (biased?).

Lexus dealers are great for service. My experience with Toyota dealers was not so good. I felt like I was a being herded around. Purchased a Tacoma for our small business.

And again, because I am using the GX-470 for business, I can take a tax deduction that brings the price I actually pay for the GX well below the 4-Runner.

In sum, I paid less than 4-Runner and got a GX-470.
Old 02-26-03, 07:35 PM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

I have driven both the 4-Runner and the 470. I agree with most that the 470 is a far better appointed vehicle and quieter. The real reason I bought the 470 was it weighs over 6000 lbs and my business can write off $24,000.00 of the purchase price in the first year of ownership! That helps bridge the price gap between the 4-runner and the 470. If it weren't for the write-off, I'd opt for 4-runner.
Old 02-26-03, 07:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I have a 2003 V8 Limited 4Runner with ever option, I bought it in the spur of the moment my Pathfinder lease was running out, I was a complete Nissan Junkie but things changed and I read something about the 4runner with a V8 so I stopped by the Toy dealer and test drove it and wanted it, waited and after Xmas I bought it

Driving to a friends house one day and I always passed the Lex dealer and I saw this odd shape so I stopped in and all I could say was DAMN

I don't regret buying the 4Runner but the GX, I could tell you what the Lex has that I don't need and I could tell you that 15,000 is the difference between my Toy and the Lex I want but in the end it is the Lexus, the symbol.

I got the 4Runner before I ever saw a GX in person, their are things on the GX that I made myself dislike cause I have the 4Runner but the more I think about it the more I want the Lexus.

Give me a Loaded Silver GX with Black Leather cause Damn

I love my 4Runner but the only thing I think is better is the GX, maybe by October I'll have one

Now if the LX get redesigned with a more powerful engine and moves off the line like my 7.4 seconds to 60 4Runner I would buy that.

The only thing I wish my 4Runner had was black leather, I guess Lexus and Toyota put certain things on the Toys verse the Lex, the leather seats in the Lexus vehicles is top notch, I would say my leather is like my friends 3series and I like the leather in the Lexus much better than BMW

edit:
the last generation 4Runner also referred to as the 3rd Gen I like the body style but never cared for the interior or the seating position

Last edited by <VENOM>; 02-26-03 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the GX worth the money compared to the 4Runner