GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX470 Dies, won't start - HELP!!!!

Old 08-23-14, 01:01 PM
golfindude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi wallen and chip, I"ll check the ignition switch next time I'm in the garage, but have already tried the "wiggle the key" test and it didn't have any effect. There's actually nothing hanging off the key, my wife just uses the bare key, no key ring. I'm in Plano (north of Dallas).

As to troubleshooting, the Lexus dealer wants $100 just to look at it, with diagnostics going up from there at $120 per hour, so I'm going to keep plugging away at this for a while before going that route. Thanks for your suggestions; keep 'em coming!!!
Old 08-23-14, 04:34 PM
wallen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were in Houston, I could recommend an independent shop that I know would be able to properly troubleshoot and fix the problem (not simply throw parts at it and get lucky ).

The ignition switch is one of the few things I can think of that could cause both intermittent no-crank and stalling problems. It might take more than a wiggle test

Edit: Are there any engine performance or drivability issues once started and running?
Old 08-24-14, 01:33 AM
golfindude
Driver School Candidate

Hey wallen,
Interesting; didn't think a bad ignition switch could cause stalling....How can it do that?? Will definitely check that. Wish I knew of an honest shop up here; most don't know any more about the car than I do, which is pretty sad! I've got a couple of guys that I have fix things on my Suburban that I don't want to mess with, but the wife's dang Lexus is a different beast.....
Old 08-24-14, 01:52 AM
wallen
Driver School Candidate

Engine stalling without turning on the check engine light, the first thing that comes to mind is a crankshaft position sensor. However a failing CKP sensor will not cause a no-crank problem.

Failing electrical contacts within the IGN switch can mimic a switch that has been physically turned off.

I have to plead some ignorance with Lexus, as most of my knowledge is with the German built stuff. But the basics are the same (or awfully similar ).

Edit: I'm not saying the switch is the problem, it's just where I would start (no pun intended).

Last edited by wallen; 08-25-14 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 07:01 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by golfindude
Interesting; didn't think a bad ignition switch could cause stalling....How can it do that??
If the contacts get worn/jiggled, it can think you turned the key from "Run" to "Accessory" (which would tell the engine to stop running).

Chip H.
Old 08-25-14, 03:18 PM
golfindude
Driver School Candidate

OK, I'll cross my fingers and hope it's the ignition switch, as that's a relatively cheap and easy fix! Thanks!
Old 08-25-14, 06:22 PM
wallen
Driver School Candidate

I would test the switch before attempting to replace it. You can get the wiring diagram from Toyota's TIS -> https://techinfo.toyota.com and an inexpensive test light, or a Power Probe -> http://www.powerprobe.com/pp3.php

Using a test light and checking for power at the input of the starter relay, while a helper moves the key to the "start" position is a relatively quick test. If you don't get power here, then move to the IGN switch.
Old 08-26-14, 12:17 PM
golfindude
Driver School Candidate

Good tip! That's an easier test than mucking with the switch first. Thanks!
Old 03-06-15, 06:25 PM
roberto94
Driver School Candidate

Default I have the same problem.

I recently bought Lexus GX 470 and I have the exact same problem as you. I would like to know what was done or if it was resolved? I have no idea how to fix it and I would appreciate a response for help.
Old 03-07-15, 09:34 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Yes dying issues can be many from Battery dying, ECM dying , Start Generator slowly dying or Fuel Filter being clogged, Fuel delivery flow lines clogged, Fuel Injectors clogged, the Port fuel Flow injection may experience clogging, Low fuel pressure from the tank, low Fuel Pump resistance. You will never get Warning or any codes on the ECM. I have been thru this. I had to start from the MAF and then slowly go all the way and found that the Fuel pressure was fine but not delivering enough volume to compensate and the fuel lines were clogged with some white sediments. I had to clean the entire Fuel Tank assy, the fuel breather pipes The fuel suction pump, the connectors , I had to replace the retainers as they broke along while disconnection. There was a bit of debris within the tank. Completed the fuel tank job and the others connected to fuel delivery to the engine. And the truck began to run smooth since then.
I had exhausted all options and then finally this nailed the issue. Maybe not you will have the same issue like mine, but you have quoted was similar to the defects I had.

Fuel delivery issues will not cause a no crank.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 03-07-15 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-08-15, 01:24 PM
roberto94
Driver School Candidate

Default same gx470 won't start

Originally Posted by golfindude
Good tip! That's an easier test than mucking with the switch first. Thanks!
Golfindude you fix you truck.help mi
Old 01-14-16, 09:56 AM
chipmcclur
Driver School Candidate

Would you share with us what the solution was? I have very similar problems, like to know what your fix was?
Old 02-02-18, 03:38 PM
tuffyturf
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up It is a burnt out EFI Fuse

Fortunately, this is a common source of what you describe: A non-click, no start after the car has been driven and gotten hot, then it will start once it is allowed to cool. Unfortunately I put in a new starter motor on my GX470 only to drive away from the shop to have it not start when I stopped in at the Grocery Store - right after I drove from the auto shop. Fortunately TNT Auto Repair came and got the car, and while it would not start, they were able to attempt a diagnostic on the car, only to find that they could not get the car to communicate. From there the mechanic was able to test to see if any juice was coming out of the port, nothing, so they immediately suspected a blown fuse. Fortunately for me, they only spent a half hour researching this before they found the blown fuse. New fuse a 69 cent part the size of a kernel of corn, and the car runs and starts up just fine. I took a pic of the fuse and the shop that quickly found it. I have read horror stories of cars sitting at the dealership for days while they searched for the cause of the non-start charging people $120 per hour.. yikes! Start with the fuse first, it is the cheapest and I have several forums where people found out it was their fuse too.. i.e.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1...starter-2.html

Old 06-14-18, 02:45 PM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link!

I hope this is my only electrical issue. Mine has happened 3 times since September. It always seems to be during the heat of the day, but sometimes with less than 5 minutes of driving. My fuse has not blown, but take a look at it. It is well worn on 1 "prong" (when standing on the driver side, this is the Right-Hand side of the fuse) and barely scratched on the other (L-H side). I wonder if the "contacts" in the fuse box are out of spec, and need to be cinched tighter... What do you think? And I have not yet checked if the other fuses look like they wear unevenly like this.

I apologize for the poor quality of the close-ups with my cheap phone camera.
Old 06-15-18, 12:25 PM
tuffyturf
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuses are cheap

Just replace it, they are 69 cents at Kragen... Your fuse looks like it got hot and melted, so it probably is the source of your problem as there is not a good connection..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 GX470 Dies, won't start - HELP!!!!