Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A/C on 2004 Lexus GX470 SUV won't turn on, whether engine is hot or cold. Fuses OK.

Old 08-05-14, 08:06 PM   #1
JeffO
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default A/C on 2004 Lexus GX470 SUV won't turn on, whether engine is hot or cold. Fuses OK.

My 2004 GX470 started to have intermittent problems the last 2 weeks, where you would start up the engine and sometimes the A/C would not come on. Today it won't come on at all.

I ohmed out the fuse in the engine block for the A/C using my digital multimeter, and another smaller fuse that was a 7.5 Amp fuse, but and they check out, so the problem must be something else.

The A/C appears to be doing this whether the engine is cold in the morning or hot after you have driven it, and our temperature guage is normal, and no check engine lights.

Anyone got any ideas why the A/C is not coming on?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 08-06-14, 06:43 AM   #2
chiph9
Pole Position

Could be the pressure sensors in the lines telling the computer not to allow the compressor to run. Take it by an A/C service center (or dealer) and ask them to check the refrigerant levels.

Chip H.
Old 08-06-14, 09:20 AM   #3
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

chiph9 makes good suggestion. you could also get one of those 134a charging bottles from autozone or the like, one with gauge on it. if you havent serviced the AC in a long time it probably needs some charge. the can stuff also has lubricants in it too. just be sure to follow the directions on can. the can usually wants the compressor on during fill, but thats not always possible, so i guess you would put AC in some "on" position and then slowly fill (as needed) until compressor engages, then continue the fill to proper gauge range (as needed), etc.

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-06-14 at 09:30 AM..
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 12:32 PM   #4
chiph9
Pole Position

I'm actually not in favor of the DIY recharge kits. The modern A/C systems require a precise amount of refrigerant and oil, and the kits usually get it wrong.

Chip H.
Old 08-06-14, 01:08 PM   #5
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph9 View Post
I'm actually not in favor of the DIY recharge kits. The modern A/C systems require a precise amount of refrigerant and oil, and the kits usually get it wrong.

Chip H.
read up on 134a systems, they are all the same, they take same amount of PSI, the system is based on the 134a properties. if the system is bigger then you need more charge to get there, etc. this is why they can sell the generic canned stuff with a simple gauge on it. as for amount of oil, that could be something to look out for. but duly noted, a good dual gauge tool monitoring hi & low ports can be used to diagnose other internal AC issues (bad valves, issue with pump, etc etc).

do you have any reports or links to reports showing the can gauges got it wrong? i am interested because i do use the can stuff every 2 or so years on several vehicles.

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-06-14 at 01:24 PM..
Old 08-06-14, 04:30 PM   #6
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

I took the GX470 into our local Sunoco repair shop this morning. It turned out to be the A/C Blower Motor. Thank God it was only $95 for the motor.

while it was in there we had them look at the tire inflation sensors, because our tire inflation light was blinking, but I knew it was wrong because I had the pressure perfect. Those dang sensors are $145 each! Only one needed to be changed, the others cleared once they reset the system.

Our total repair bill was $325, including all the labor.

This Case Is Solved!

Old 08-06-14, 05:35 PM   #7
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

OEM alternative is a set of Orange TPMS sensors, they are not that expensive and are programmable using the original sensor code.
Old 08-06-14, 05:35 PM

Tags
2004, ac, check, gx470, lexus, system