GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 does not lower itself, is it height control sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 08:46 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 does not lower itself, is it height control sensor?

Hi guys,

My GX after I changed all 4 shocks and 2 air bags does not lower itself when park anymore. I remember normally it will back to normal standard height with some hiss noise when I turn off the engine. Right now if I drive alone it still smooth as it before but when I carry something heavy or there are passengers inside it becomes stiff and not comfort as all. I think the height control sensors are failed so it cannot automatically level itself anymore, do you guys think so? Or are there any other parts of the suspension fail? Thanks.
Old 08-01-14, 04:41 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have an answer to your question, but you can very easily disassemble your height sensors to see if they are corroded. They are too expensive to blindly swap out and WAY overpriced for what they are. I will try to find the re-build thread, but I think it was on a Prius forum as the Prius uses them to align the HID headlights.

Once you remove the cover, you will see three gold colored springs. When the sensors fail, it is typically because one of those springs has corroded to death. There is also a resistance check, but I don't know those values off hand.
Old 08-01-14, 10:36 PM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 6080prado
I don't have an answer to your question, but you can very easily disassemble your height sensors to see if they are corroded. They are too expensive to blindly swap out and WAY overpriced for what they are. I will try to find the re-build thread, but I think it was on a Prius forum as the Prius uses them to align the HID headlights.

Once you remove the cover, you will see three gold colored springs. When the sensors fail, it is typically because one of those springs has corroded to death. There is also a resistance check, but I don't know those values off hand.
Today I opened the sensors and all gold springs look new, no corroded so the sensors are not failed right? Are there any other parts that cause my problem? Thanks.
Old 08-03-14, 01:19 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Anyone help me please
Old 08-04-14, 02:13 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

The truck does not lower to get out. If you want to lower it you have the height control on the console. The auto leveling feature is discussed in the manual.
Old 08-04-14, 03:32 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
The truck does not lower to get out. If you want to lower it you have the height control on the console. The auto leveling feature is discussed in the manual.
I mean the auto leveling feature in the GX. Normally it will go up or go down when you drive but it should be go back to standard height of the N position when you stop or park. For example, my truck standard N height from the center of wheel hub to the lip is 54cm but when I drove around and back to home it became 55cm and did not back to 54cm even I restart the engine it still 55cm. The only way to make it back to standard height is to manually rise it to H and again lower it to N. So is it has bad sensors or its height control reservoir becomes bad? Thanks.
Old 08-04-14, 03:39 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
auto-kneeling when you leave vehicle after parking it? i believe it does this to make rear gate lower to load in stuff. mine used to do this all the time, but after a tire blow-out and a whole bunch of fixing including the air pump for air ride, the auto-kneeling on my 2006 happens only on occasion. oddly, my local dealer is not even sure of the feature, thus cant tell me if its normal or not.

do you have any docs that describes this feature?
Yes i remember it will lower after every drive and its hiss sound is very noticable but right now I did not hear it anymore. There should be some problems in my truck like yours. Thanks.

Last edited by kidelnino; 08-04-14 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-04-14, 08:26 AM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the auto kneel thing, but not all the time. I have no idea how or why. It doesn't go down to the lowest position though. I just figured it was correcting back to N after load adjusting during the ride. That said, it does it sometimes even when I don't have anything in the back or rear passengers.

I seem to recall there was a check valve somewhere that I think is computer controlled. That may be having issues. I may be way off though. I think mann777 posted about it.
Old 08-04-14, 10:54 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I'd be concerned if it "auto-kneeled" -- to me, that sounds like there's a leak, and the pump is able to run continuously as you drive to keep it aired-up. Which it shouldn't be doing.

Chip H.
Old 08-04-14, 01:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

So it's just the normal height adjustment working once the weight of you and your passengers are off the vehicle then. Ok, no worries.

Some cars will raise/lower themselves to make it easier to get in & out when you put them in park. And lower themselves at highway speeds for aerodynamic purposes. The GX does not have this feature.

Chip H.
Old 08-04-14, 11:01 PM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
So it's just the normal height adjustment working once the weight of you and your passengers are off the vehicle then. Ok, no worries.

Some cars will raise/lower themselves to make it easier to get in & out when you put them in park. And lower themselves at highway speeds for aerodynamic purposes. The GX does not have this feature.

Chip H.
I think my height adjustment did not work because when passengers and I leave the vehicle, it did not release any air to make the height back to normal. It does adjust a little higher about 1-2cm when heavy load or many passengers inside but it does not back to normal height when we get off even I restart engine, the only way to get it right is to manually adjust to H and back to N. So do you guys know the exactly problem in my GX? Thanks.
Old 08-05-14, 06:57 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
mine doesnt always adjust after passengers get out.

is this auto adjust a known feature? what does a dealer tell you because i cant get any good answers on this matter.
The dealer cannot find anything about this matter, that is why I have to find the answer in our forum . I read somewhere that it should back to standard height when we park so the air bleeding sound we used to hear is a part of the operation.
Old 08-05-14, 07:00 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

I just read this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...or-ride-8.html today that many people seem to have poor ride but also cannot find any solutions.