GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone notice vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 04:23 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone notice vibration?

I'm noticing a wierd harmonics at about 60-65 mph. I feel it thru the streering wheel and the gas pedal when I'm just slightly on the gas on a highway. After 70 it goes away. It's a slight vibration that only happens when my foots on the gas (not coasting) so I'm assuming it might be driveline related (as opposed to tires out of balance). It's not bad, but since this is a lexus - it bothers me. Has anyone else noticed this? SHould I even ask the dealer about it????
Old 02-22-03, 11:33 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

I have felt a similar vibration through steering wheel -- although at much lower speeds than say 60-65 miles. I was thinking that may be it's from the traction control or differential doing it's work. I just got my car yesterday and all driving so far, has been in the rain. Now that you have mentioned it, I'll surely check with dealer on the 1K check-up.

While we are at the topic of vibration. Have you tried to touch the four wheel drive control (L-N-H gear), while driving? The vibration on that gear is substantial. It could be that this one is normal, but it'll be great to confirm from others.
Old 02-23-03, 11:22 AM
arogers
Driver School Candidate

I have also noticed the steering wheel vibration while driving in the city. Just had my 1000 mile, but didn't mentioned it.
Old 02-23-03, 01:34 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. After balancing the tires the problem is gone. My tires are teh Dunlops.
Old 02-24-03, 10:15 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default It cant be the tires ....

If it was the tires it could occur if my foot was on the gas or coasting, so it must be somewhere in the driveline. Anyone else having this problem????
Old 02-24-03, 11:47 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

I recall previous messages which touched on vibration around the 1700 rpm range.

There is a slightly different harmonic around this rev range.
Old 03-01-03, 06:01 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Question Any follow up?

I also noticed vibration when engine speed is around 1750 rpm. It could happen at any speed as long as the engine speed is around 1750 rpm, so I don’t think it’s tire related.

Anyone mentioned this issue to dealer yet?
Old 03-01-03, 03:06 PM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

I don't have any vibration but at 75 mph have a droning noise, sounds like a rear wheel brg but goes away down hill ohly when pulling. I am thinking it is exhaust resonance ???????? milage is doing 18.9 on fuel commputer but actual fill only 17.6 so the fuel commputers are off. I have 950 total miles.
Old 03-01-03, 03:41 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

4Runners, and GX, have very sensitive steering. Therefore, a tire that is just slightly out of balance in the front will cause a vibration, usually between 55-70 mph. Therefore, the FIRST thing you should do is have your dealer re-balance your tires...and possibly do an alignment also. This should be FREE as this is more of a warranty.

BTW, i have the same vibration on my '02 4Runner with aftermarket tires, until i got it balanced the RIGHT way! BEFORE doing anything, READ THIS:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...=&threadid=173

For the transfer case lever vibration, IT IS NORMAL! The TC lever is directly connected to the transmission/transfer case. Perfectly normal.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-03, 07:55 AM
177mph
Pole Position

I'm sure that any of the tires could be slightly off balance - but that is clearly not the issue here since the vibration goes away if the truck is in neutral or the gas pedal is not depressed. Therefore - IT ISNT the tires. I will have them checked anyway - but we're looking to find the source of a driveline vibration in the GX. I'm also noticing a whine from the rear diff at about 75mph. I've been varyng speed as told by the owners manual to break in the driveline properly - but I think they may need to look at the rear diff and transfer case.
Old 03-03-03, 09:06 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

I agree with 177. This is no tire alignment problem. I think super_cjc has diagnosed the symptom correctly. Whenever the rpms around 1700-1800, there is noticeable vibration. I can feel it in the steering. My wife can feel it on the floor of the car. The engine also has humming noise.

At this point, I'm going to wait until 1K service. If someone takes this to dealer, please post the diagnosis here. I will do the same.

Pretty disappointed in my first lexus so far.
Old 03-07-03, 12:38 AM
hipcheck
Driver School Candidate

I have no problems with vibrations at all. I have the Michelin Cross-Terains (they are fantastic). The car has been wonderful.

I came from a BMW X5. The X5 always had a "road" feel which I prefer. Perhaps I'm just used to a closer to the road feel in the steering.
Old 03-07-03, 06:48 AM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

I guess, it must be just us the unlucky few.

I decided to not wait until the 1K service and take the car to dealer for getting this issue checked. The service person didn't even have to take the car for test drive. According to him, "Lexus knows about the problem and is working on a fix". Apparently, the person I talked to on the phone before going there didn't know about this -- otherwise would have saved the trip.

At this point, that's the best I can hope for. I have driven it for about 500 miles now and I don't see any difference. The vibration is still there.

Thanks
Old 03-11-03, 06:15 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

I took the car in for 1K service also mentioned the vibration issue

On my service record, it states “BALANCED ALL TIRES, WE DID FEEL VIBRATION IN STEERING WHEEL, WE ARE CURRENTLY RESEARCHING FIX FOR THIS FROM LEXUS, NO SOLUTION HAS YET TO BE RELEASED”

I kinda have confidence in Lexus. My wife’s 99 RX was also a first year car, actually, it was a first week car. It had some rattles and electrical problems but Lexus was able to pinpoint the causes and solve problems right away. If I don’t hear any updates from the dealer in two weeks, I will call the service manager and see what options I have.

I think it’s important for us to keep a service record about the vibration issue.
Old 03-11-03, 06:35 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

keep us posted on the fix as I also have an unexplained drooning noise around 2,000 RPM in all gears on pull, coasting it is fine. Actually sounds like a rear whel brg.

Quick Reply: Anyone notice vibration?