GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is this the one? hope to buy this week...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 03:16 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the one? hope to buy this week...

Hello all,

I hope to purchase this 2003 GX with (73000 miles) this week from a private owner and was hoping I could get some feedback from experienced owners. I've seen quite a few of these type post and you all have been generous with your knowledge. Please take a look at this craigslist ad and accompanying pictures. I understand that the 03 is the first year for this model... is this an undesirable year given it is the first model year? Any particular issues I should look for when looking it over?

Thanks for any feedback!

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4525597965.html
Old 07-19-14, 03:21 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks nice! Buy it.

GX470s generally had very few changes from 2003-2009. The tail lights, the position of some of the interior buttons, the higher resolution GPS screen and adding VVT-i to the engine later on are all that come to mind. There is nothing wrong with the early models.
Old 07-19-14, 03:25 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

YoshiMan. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-19-14, 03:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

From the mileage and from the pictures, the vehicle looks like it is in great condition.

The one thing that I don't see in any of the pictures is a picture of the dashboard. Since dashboard cracking is an issue that some GX owners have experienced, the absence of dash pictures makes me wonder if it could have a cracking dash, but, if it does and if you haven't already seen the vehicle in person, that should be easy for you to spot when you are checking out the vehicle.
Old 07-19-14, 04:00 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

good heads up on the dash. I'll be sure to check. If dashboard is cracked, is that likely too cost prohibitive to fix?
Old 07-19-14, 04:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by abatodu
good heads up on the dash. I'll be sure to check. If dashboard is cracked, is that likely too cost prohibitive to fix?
I'm sure that you can find more information about the cost of replacing a cracked dash in the thread about dash cracks that is stuck to the top of this board, but my recollection is that replacing the dash comes with a price somewhere around $2000. Also, if you read through all of the posts in that thread, you will see that there is a high correlation between those who have had the problem and those who live in locations where hot temperatures are common, such as Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc.
Old 07-19-14, 04:24 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lesz!
Old 07-19-14, 04:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ran the VIN through Lexus.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

I didn't see any mention of a timing belt and the last service though Lexus was back in Nov. '12. I guess there's no good Lexus dealers in Tennessee. I would definitely change the timing belt if they don't show proof of it already being changed. At 11 years old it's time to change it mileage reached or not.
Old 07-19-14, 05:19 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

RCsGX- awesome! good looking out! I will be sure to ask the owner tomorrow when we meet.
Old 07-19-14, 09:05 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

RCsGX- awesome! good looking out! I will be sure to ask the owner tomorrow when we meet.
Good luck, I hope it's what you're looking for!
Old 07-20-14, 01:10 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

so I checked the vehicle out today. It's a no go. First off, large crack in dash around instrument panel and the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. Thanks for all the input. The search continues...
Old 07-20-14, 02:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

so I checked the vehicle out today. It's a no go. First off, large crack in dash around instrument panel and the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. Thanks for all the input. The search continues...
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out.

Like I said in an earlier post, it struck me as a red flag that the seller posted lots of pictures showing virtually all of the exterior and interior of the vehicle, but there were no close-up pictures of the dash.
Old 07-20-14, 04:10 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Just as well, smoker and damaged dash, YUCK!!
Old 07-21-14, 06:08 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

As I continue to look for a clean gx 470, do you guys have any thoughts on purchasing a vehicle with 100k+. I am budgeting between 15k to 20k. The recent birth of my son has changed my priorities and budget. I am in the process of selling my Cooper S and my Tacoma. Painful... lol.
Old 07-21-14, 09:43 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Search is your friend. Try these on for size...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-20-000-a.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ge-advice.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-reliable.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...003-gx470.html

Quick Reply: Is this the one? hope to buy this week...