Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Is this the one? hope to buy this week...

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-14, 08:23 AM   #16
abatodu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
abatodu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tn
Posts: 14
Default

Thanks J Rad! Plethora of good info on these links. Just what I was looking for.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
abatodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 04:54 PM   #17
RCsGX
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
RCsGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ★ᚱᚱ★
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abatodu View Post
As I continue to look for a clean gx 470, do you guys have any thoughts on purchasing a vehicle with 100k+. I am budgeting between 15k to 20k. The recent birth of my son has changed my priorities and budget. I am in the process of selling my Cooper S and my Tacoma. Painful... lol.
There's a 1st gen Tundra owner (Same engine as our GX) with 800K+ miles on the original engine and several others with well over 500K miles. These 2uz-fe engines will last a loooong time as long as you keep up w/ the maintenance.
__________________

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:20 PM   #18
abatodu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
abatodu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tn
Posts: 14
Default

Thoughts? RCsGX can you check this vin #? JTJBT20X840048163 Thanks!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4583143982.html

Last edited by abatodu; 07-23-14 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: vin #
abatodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 07:44 PM   #19
ST2Alpha
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
ST2Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 21
Default

Best of luck with your search. Be patient and you'll find one.

I tend to try and find individuals that are very meticulous with the upkeep of their vehicles. The kind of people that go in to a dealership to purchase a new vehicle and are insulted by the dealers wholesale trade-in offer. This is where you can pick up a really clean vehicle that's more expensive than what the dealer was willing to pay, but much cheaper than what the dealer would have turned around and re-sold it for.

Keep in mind, a dealer will lead you to believe that they put all kinds of work and money into a car before they resell it. Usually it works like this, pull out the CPO (certified pre-owned) checklist. If it passes, it goes to detail and back out on the lot with a minimal warranty. If it doesn't, it goes straight to auction, unless the check-list fails are minor and relatively inexpensive to repair. Then it's to detail and out on the sale's lot.

Alpha
ST2Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 10:52 PM   #20
RCsGX
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
RCsGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ★ᚱᚱ★
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abatodu View Post
Thoughts? RCsGX can you check this vin #? JTJBT20X840048163 Thanks!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4583143982.html
Not much dealer service from this owner.

Dealer Reported 12/19/2013 87830 0012189 OIL CHANGE
Dealer Reported 12/19/2013 87830 0012189 TIRE ROTATION
Dealer Reported 12/19/2013 87830 0012189 27 POINT INSPECTION
Dealer Reported 02/13/2012 71384 0036733 LUBE, OIL, FILTER
Dealer Reported 02/13/2012 71384 0036733 WORLD CLASS MULTIPOINT INSPECTIO
Dealer Reported 10/11/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 38151 0623307 OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (REMOTE CONTROL TYPE)
Dealer Reported 10/11/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 38151 0623307 OTHERS R&R*
Dealer Reported 08/07/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 35437 0621483 35000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 08/07/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 35437 0621483 OTHERS
Dealer Reported 11/17/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 31751 0613850 30000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY
Dealer Reported 07/27/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 26520 0610663 25000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 01/17/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 22163 0605531 20000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 01/17/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 22163 0605531 TIRE ROTATION
Dealer Reported 08/23/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 17757 0601587 15000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY
Dealer Reported 05/12/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 13073 0113535 EXT TRIM CONCERN
Dealer Reported 02/18/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 11552 0103836 10000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 02/18/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 11552 0103836 TIRE ROTATION
Dealer Reported 08/19/2004 Kenny Kent Lexus 5893 0083223 5,000 MILE SERVICE
Dealer Reported 05/06/2004 Lexus of Nashville 6 0054652 PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE FOR USA ALL ALTITUDES


FYI you can run any Lexus VIN. Sign up for a free account and enter the VIN.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
__________________

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 04:33 AM   #21
abatodu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
abatodu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tn
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST2Alpha View Post
Best of luck with your search. Be patient and you'll find one.

I tend to try and find individuals that are very meticulous with the upkeep of their vehicles. The kind of people that go in to a dealership to purchase a new vehicle and are insulted by the dealers wholesale trade-in offer. This is where you can pick up a really clean vehicle that's more expensive than what the dealer was willing to pay, but much cheaper than what the dealer would have turned around and re-sold it for.

Keep in mind, a dealer will lead you to believe that they put all kinds of work and money into a car before they resell it. Usually it works like this, pull out the CPO (certified pre-owned) checklist. If it passes, it goes to detail and back out on the lot with a minimal warranty. If it doesn't, it goes straight to auction, unless the check-list fails are minor and relatively inexpensive to repair. Then it's to detail and out on the sale's lot.

Alpha
Thanks Alpha! Great insight... I think you're right. Patience is key.
abatodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 04:38 AM   #22
abatodu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
abatodu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tn
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCsGX View Post
Not much dealer service from this owner.

Dealer Reported 12/19/2013 87830 0012189 OIL CHANGE
Dealer Reported 12/19/2013 87830 0012189 TIRE ROTATION
Dealer Reported 12/19/2013 87830 0012189 27 POINT INSPECTION
Dealer Reported 02/13/2012 71384 0036733 LUBE, OIL, FILTER
Dealer Reported 02/13/2012 71384 0036733 WORLD CLASS MULTIPOINT INSPECTIO
Dealer Reported 10/11/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 38151 0623307 OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (REMOTE CONTROL TYPE)
Dealer Reported 10/11/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 38151 0623307 OTHERS R&R*
Dealer Reported 08/07/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 35437 0621483 35000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 08/07/2007 Kenny Kent Lexus 35437 0621483 OTHERS
Dealer Reported 11/17/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 31751 0613850 30000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY
Dealer Reported 07/27/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 26520 0610663 25000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 01/17/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 22163 0605531 20000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 01/17/2006 Kenny Kent Lexus 22163 0605531 TIRE ROTATION
Dealer Reported 08/23/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 17757 0601587 15000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY
Dealer Reported 05/12/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 13073 0113535 EXT TRIM CONCERN
Dealer Reported 02/18/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 11552 0103836 10000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
Dealer Reported 02/18/2005 Kenny Kent Lexus 11552 0103836 TIRE ROTATION
Dealer Reported 08/19/2004 Kenny Kent Lexus 5893 0083223 5,000 MILE SERVICE
Dealer Reported 05/06/2004 Lexus of Nashville 6 0054652 PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE FOR USA ALL ALTITUDES


FYI you can run any Lexus VIN. Sign up for a free account and enter the VIN.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Thanks for looking that up RX. I'll get an account! By the way, this seller claims to have had the timing belt changed at 93000 at the dealer though there is no record of this being done within this service report. hmmm...
abatodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:37 AM   #23
RCsGX
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
RCsGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ★ᚱᚱ★
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abatodu View Post
Thanks for looking that up RX. I'll get an account! By the way, this seller claims to have had the timing belt changed at 93000 at the dealer though there is no record of this being done within this service report. hmmm...
That's a red flag.Toyota will also update on Lexus so had it been done at a Toyota dealer it would've been updated on drivers.lexus as well.

If possible it wasn't updated but highly unlikely, Lexus will update every little thing. I have 8 pages of detailed things the previous owner did on my GX. If they do provide a receipt call the dealer and verify it.

Good luck!
__________________

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:42 AM   #24
470SNC
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
470SNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 88
Default

Also for timing belt, look in the engine bay for marks on bolts on equipment required to be removed for access to the timing belt, this would be evident, also when the timing belt service is done, there is usually a sticker noting this.
470SNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 01:16 PM   #25
chiph9
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 241
Default

Mine had no documentation either. Pre-sales inspection guy said there were tool marks on belt covers. Dealer said no tool marks on crankshaft bolt, and that the water pump was weeping.

Went ahead and paid for it to be done. Cheaper than a new engine.

Chip H.
__________________
chiph9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 01:16 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to purchase 95 LS400 need advice. eastwick LS400 13 06-20-14 06:55 AM
Coming out of an Audi, looking at Lexus alternative... :) 98b5 LS400 32 05-03-14 06:27 PM
Nice 5 Speed on Craigslist vintagelex ES300 and ES330 6 11-25-13 04:45 PM
What to look out for. Chaoticjew IS - Second Generation 10 08-19-13 01:31 PM
★★★★★ This Feedback Forum is CLOSED. Please use iTrader ★★★★★ DaveGS4 Buyer / Seller Feedback Forum 0 04-10-09 12:34 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info