GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus CPO GX470 & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 10:33 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus CPO GX470 & Warranty

According to Lexus, a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle comes with a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty which they say is actually better than some new-vehicle warranties. It's an extensive limited warranty, technically known as an "exclusionary warranty" according to Lexus.

Has anyone purchased a CPO vehicle and used the warranty? Does anyone know if the warranty covers the suspension. I read what it doesn't cover. It shows what it does cover on their website, but it doesn't say anything about the specifically about the suspension unless it is covered under "Final Drive and Axles".

Just curious.
Old 03-03-14, 11:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't let the warranty sell you on the car, as these are pretty reliable and you'll likely be paying far more to the dealership for that warranty and CPO designation than whatever actual repair costs you'll be making. I could honestly see a dealer CPO GX470 being $10k+ more out the door than buying a similar one from a private party. There's no way you're going to spend that in repairs over 3-5 years of ownership. And the extended warranty also not likely going to pay for most maintenance on the car.

If the dealership is really making you a smoking deal on it, I can understand, but I know when I was looking it wasn't even close.

I would imagine the CPO covers things on the suspension system like the level sensors and compressor (which rarely have issues) but probably not the actual shocks, struts, and rear air coils since those are "wear items" by most anyone's definition, but that's just a guess. Definitely get this answered before you buy as this will be the repair that is going to be needed.

I've had extended factory warranties and aftermarket warranties, and in almost all cases, you're better off just setting that money aside for possible repairs than giving it to the dealership upfront. There's usually all sorts of arguments about what is covered and you usually end up disappointed.
Old 03-03-14, 12:27 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most don't include shocks but some do...you have to read the fine print.
Old 03-03-14, 12:27 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

+1 for looking at what is covered by the exclusionary CPO. If it doesn't include the air bags, the level sensors, the transfer case actuator (and leaks thereof), then it's not worth the money. Ask for a price on the truck without the CPO.

Chip H.
Old 03-03-14, 12:39 PM
fantic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got a alternator replaced under the CPO. That was it. Everything else was " Normal wear and tear ".
Old 03-03-14, 01:04 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate hearing from everyone and those that have used the CPO warranty.
Old 03-03-14, 08:26 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

Used it several times. Several heat shields, alternator and a leak at a transmission seal. I bet all combined it was worth the ~2k$ that was added on the purchase price. Oddly enough we have had zero problems since it expired 8 months ago. 100k miles and runs like a top. Visited Cleveland auto show last weekend to feel out new one (GX 460) and really liked ours more. Decided that the likely $4K to create a new purchase or lease would be better served keeping ours going another 50K miles. (have to assume that air shocks etc will go soon).

Good luck, it really is a wonderful truck.

Joe 2007 w/100K miles.
Old 03-14-14, 11:13 AM
jvangun
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CPO Warranty

I worry and like lots of folks on this board, let all the little creeks and rattles really get to me. I've had my CPO for almost a year. Got the drive shaft clunk fixed, a power mirror motor, and a shock or strut... can't remember for sure. My understanding is that it covers virtually anything mechanical. Cosmetic issues (corrosion on badging) and normal wear and tear on break pads, tires, wipers, ect. are not covered. I have an 07 Sport that was one owner meticulously maintained, 65k miles, brand new tires, and it was about $29k if memory serves me right. I found that to be extremely comparable to a non CPO vehicle.
Old 04-03-14, 04:41 AM
dandg
Driver

I had my first use of the CPO yesterday,had the check engine light,VSC,VSC Off lights go on-then off then on again. They scanned it and replaced the gas cap-no big deal but covered,Talking with the asst service manger she claimed the GX's rarely have issues- suspension senors and boots on the cv joints but that it.

I went with the CPO for a couple reasons but mostly because those were the best of the used ones out there,the Lexus dealers keep the off lease and highest quality trades for CPO's.Mine was bought- 08 with 26k miles,and serviced at that dealer,had 4 new tires,pads,rotors,battery and all the filters just done.Figured it was worth the extra money (1-2k)for the CPO.
Old 04-03-14, 08:32 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had two Lexus CPO vehicles (RX330 & current GX47) and it's well worth it. It does NOT add $10+ more to the price of the vehicle. Sure, you might be able to get a great deal from a private buyer, but you also assume the risks of potential repair costs. The CPO warranty clearly states that normal wear and tear items are not covered. Here are some of the major items that were replaced on my GX470, under the CPO warranty: water pump, alternator, both height sensors, 1 brake caliper,and four rims (rust). A Lexus is not bulletproof and neither is it's reliability.
Old 07-21-14, 07:51 PM
nike23
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 gx470

I recently purchased a 2003 GX470 and turned down the dealer offer to purchase an extended warranty - I was thinking that I'd go off on my own and purchase something for less cost. Well it's 5 months later and I got caught up in the pleasure of driving the GX...but I still would like to have a warranty, for the air ride system alone. Does anyone know where I can get coverage from a reputable company and one that won't rip me off? I know that AAA offers coverage for my vehicle but I have read mixed reviews about their warranties. My GX only has 78k original miles if this will make a difference. The dealer that I purchased it from said that it was a one time offer and once I turned it down I couldn't come back later to purchase. Does this make sense? I would think that he was pressuring me to adding an additional $2500 to the deal but I'm not sure. Either way he is jeopardizing the potential sale of the warranty as I would buy now in a heartbeat.
Any advice?
Old 07-21-14, 09:38 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, my '02 GS was Lexus CPO and it covered shocks all around. Don't know about the GX.

Check this out: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

I stressed about buying an extended warranty directly from Lexus / Toyota for my GX. There are well-stated pro's and con's (here and other threads), but decided I bought the GX in the first place in large part due to it's stellar reliability reputation. Turns out it was a good decision in my case, as the timeframe that would've been covered by the extended warranty from Lexus / Toyota has come and gone - I didn't need it.
Old 07-22-14, 10:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
FWIW, my '02 GS was Lexus CPO and it covered shocks all around. Don't know about the GX.

Check this out: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

I stressed about buying an extended warranty directly from Lexus / Toyota for my GX. There are well-stated pro's and con's (here and other threads), but decided I bought the GX in the first place in large part due to it's stellar reliability reputation. Turns out it was a good decision in my case, as the timeframe that would've been covered by the extended warranty from Lexus / Toyota has come and gone - I didn't need it.
I bought a 2004 in july of 2013 with extended warranty. purchase included timing belt alighnment brakes

I have used warranty 4 times .

both cv boots
trans cooler line
new seat heater
new seat lower frame
new radiator
new height control reservoir
gauge cluster [ led were burned out they put in whole new gauge
both front aprons inside wheel wells
both hood supports

I have 95.500 miles and the items done on warranty total almost 7000.00 I still have 2 years left or
29,991 miles which ever comes sooner. nI am averaging 6500.00 miles per year so I am sure I will go the two years of continued warranty
Old 07-23-14, 05:13 PM
ST2Alpha
Driver School Candidate

If I buy a new vehicle, I'll get the biggest warranty they'll let me put on it and tell the dealer I'll pay $100.00 over invoice for it. All dealers will do this if it means making a sale or not. If I buy a used premium car (ie: Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc), I let them keep their warranty.

Alpha