GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How is the GX in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 06:59 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How is the GX in the snow?

Ok all you folks in the Northeast with your new GX 470s, how is the car in the snow??
Old 02-17-03, 08:22 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the Maine/New Hampshire border on the Seacoast.

The treads (mine are Bridgestone) are more for highway than anyform of "off road" & snow terrain.

With these even fourwheel drive is not perfect.

Additionally the running boards definetly crunch if you traverse any size snow bank!

My suggestion would be to have a second set of snow tires just for the winter & remember to raise the height if negotiating snowbanks!.
Old 02-17-03, 12:45 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been lookn for snow.. cant find any in texas ... i really want to drive it in snow... hehe i'd be fun
Old 02-17-03, 01:12 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I'll let you know Tues

The snow is finally slowing here in NYC. Its hard to tell how much we got - looks like between 12-18". I have watched many non-AWD or 4WD vehicles struggle going up my block so far.

I hope/expect to get out Tuesday and see what the GX can do.
Old 02-17-03, 01:57 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by major1
I'm on the Maine/New Hampshire border on the Seacoast.

The treads (mine are Bridgestone) are more for highway than anyform of "off road" & snow terrain.

With these even fourwheel drive is not perfect.

Additionally the running boards definetly crunch if you traverse any size snow bank!

My suggestion would be to have a second set of snow tires just for the winter & remember to raise the height if negotiating snowbanks!.
I know that 4 wheel drive is not perfect in snow, but after spending all this money on a SUV that should get you through the snow, it seems like a waste of time to spend the time to switch out to snow tires every winter season for a SUV, when this should be done mostly for rear-wheel drive cars with summer tires. Maybe the GX is truly a luxury SUV and only good for show.

Maybe this is why people also use and secondary older model SUV to get through these snow storms, so they don't beat up their luxury SUVs.

Maybe a new 2003 Toyota 4runner will be the perfect compromise?
Old 02-17-03, 02:06 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I test drove it in snow

Although my GX will get a real test tomorrow...I did drive it in snow both at the dealer (happened to snow right before my test drive) and since I have owned it - about 6 weeks.

It performed flawlessly in up to 6 inches of snow - as good as any vehicle I have owned.

We shall see about 12"+
Old 02-17-03, 05:11 PM
major1
Driver School Candidate

In my area Maine/NH we have had snow (lots of it) for many weeks. The GX is good but it would greatly benefit from a more aggresive tread pattern. I'd like the ability to choose a cross terrain tire in colder climes!

That's a trade off because then it's noisy on the highway!

I had a Tahoe Z71 with a great tread pattern but it was noisy 90% of the time.

The GX overall is excellent but depending on where you live & conditions may benefit from a slightly more aggresive tread!

Downhill & Uphill assist is great but in extreme snow without a good tread pattern then it's like being on "slicks"

It's all subjective and this winter is unbelievably atrocious!

Try -13 Def F and 40 mph winds!

The heated seats are great!

Last edited by major1; 02-17-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 07:24 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have travelled heavily through storms throughout this winter. The latest one took us through the slammer that hit the DC area and travelled up the coast. We drove from Vermont which has around 30" of snow on the ground, but roads are fairly clear, through NY-84, to 81 south into PA and stopped last night in Chambersburg, PA. We woke up early in the AM with around 26" of snow on the ground, and around 3-4' snow drifts. The GX was always confident. Throughout our travels, SUV's like, Jeep Grand Cherokee, MDX, Montero, Ford Bronco. All of these vehicles were stuck along the side of the road. Working to either shovel, or flag down assistance. One truck tried to make the ramp behind us, and ended up backwards after having the front right wheel catch a bit too much brake through the snow bank.

Just today we went to someone's house, in northern VA, where the roads still are not plowed. Traversing 25" snowed roads where drifts are higher. The GX has been cranking through it all. The traction control makes a huge difference in all of this.

When you think of traditional 4 wheel drive vehicles, most of them, when pushed, are only getting power to two wheels. Typically the two wheels are diagonal to each other. The GX and many of the more advanced All Wheel Drive Systems, can provide power to the wheels that need it.

The GX actually has a center differential lock button which ensures the front and rear wheels are tied together and that the Torsen Differential is no longer automatically distributing the power from front to rear continuously as traction is needed. The problem with this button is you loose vehicle skid control/traction control. While the button is advertised as what to use when in extreme conditions, I feel the skid control, and traction control are definitely better suited for the least traction situations. One exception, power. Traction control will suck the power down to nothing if it detects lack of traction. If the system is wrong, you'll definitely want to turnj on the cent diff lock button to get the unrestricted power back online.
Old 02-18-03, 05:19 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

lexguynj,

First of, the GX and 4Runner has the SAME powertrain and, in most cases, tires. Therefore, the 4runner is no better than GX in the snow. In heavy snow, as in mud, traction is everything. Traction = good tires. If you don't have good tires, there is NO 4wd system in the world that can help. What keeps your truck sticking to the road??? Tires! If you have no traction, how do you expect the 4wd system to work????

A 4runner Ltd 4wd with all options will costs nearly $42K or more...that is not cheap.

Looknow12, in snow, i would NOT recommend locking the center differential. The Torsen center diff is ALREADY full-time...you are NEVER caught with one axle getting all the power. In addition, since you will be traveling more than 10 mph, you need VSC (stability control) to be ON to help out. The only time that you would need the center diff lock is when you need to POWER OUT of something, like in deep snow/mud, in which case locking the center diff will disable the dethrottling function (and VSC).

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-18-03 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-18-03, 03:23 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I completely agree! The only reason I mention it is Lexus kind of mentions that as a feature for extreme conditions. I was hoping to dispell that. :-)
Old 02-18-03, 08:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I have a 4Runner, basically the same powertrain as the GX

I drove around all day Monday on unplowed roads that had at least 24 inches of snow the truck did fabuloso the only problem that hinders it ability is the VSC, push the button in and shut it off I got caught in a snow back that was left by a plow truck the VSC kept kicking on and braking the wheels and I could not get through without back up and driving forward again and again, after turnin the VSC off the truck plowed through like nothin.

I drove up a hill that was unplowed made it all the way to the top and parked in the driveway, my friend in his V8 Explorer could not even remotely make it a quarter way up the hill.

major1
for most people the tires already on the truck are more than enough to suit their needs, but I understand exactly what where you are coming from cause I had a Pathfinder with an aggressive AT tread and damn now when I drive the 4Runner I can really feel the difference in the traction

I went through the same conditions I would have with my Pathfinder and had no problem.

looknow12
you only loose VSC "vehicle skid control" with the VSC off you can fishtail, do donuts and J-turns, get through deeper snow easier you still have Traction Control, just go out and stomp on the gas and the dash will buzz mine did, the traction control keeps the wheels in contact with the ground, several times I came around a corner and gunned it and the tires spun and the dash light blinked and buzzed.

Im pretty sure you have Traction Control with VSC off I did.

Last thing I will say is this truck both the 4Runner and GX are awesome, I was in 6 inches of snow and floored it and the truck took off with very slight wheel slip but pulled up to 50 like it was dry

You won't get stuck unless you drive through snow in a parking lot that the plow truck left behind that is something like 6 feet high after stomping on it in reverse it pulled right out the Passport that tried the same thing the guy eventually started digging out the wheels
Old 02-19-03, 03:54 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
I have a 4Runner, basically the same powertrain as the GX

looknow12
you only loose VSC "vehicle skid control" with the VSC off you can fishtail, do donuts and J-turns, get through deeper snow easier you still have Traction Control, just go out and stomp on the gas and the dash will buzz mine did, the traction control keeps the wheels in contact with the ground, several times I came around a corner and gunned it and the tires spun and the dash light blinked and buzzed.

Im pretty sure you have Traction Control with VSC off I did.

I thought the center differential lock disables VSC which includes traction control. I will have to confirm this, but I am almost positive.
Old 02-19-03, 05:14 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

VSC/dethrottling and 4-wheel traction control are SEPARATE entities! Center diff lock will shut off VSC/dethrottle, but it has NO effect on traction control. Therefore, you will still hear the ABS working and the "wavy slipping" light still comes on when you lock the center diff.

Traction control is NEVER off...it is always ON.
Old 02-19-03, 05:49 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Tigm

Last edited by looknow12; 02-19-03 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 10:06 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default What about reverse?

Many 4wd SUV's lose their 4wd when you shift into reverse. Does the GX?

Quick Reply: How is the GX in the snow?