GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

08 GX470 AUX input - how to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 02:19 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 GX470 AUX input - how to use?

Hi, GX people! I apologize in advance, but I actually have searched the owner's manual AND used the advanced search on this 1st Gen GX470 forum, but have not been successful in finding the answer.
How do you activate the AUX input? I tried pressing the DISC-AUX button, but there was no way to select the AUX jack itself. I speculated that you might have to plug a device into the AUX jack to disable DISC (something like plugging a set of headphones into an output jack disables internal speakers), but my son says that he tried it and it did not work. What is the secret formula? I know that someone here has figured it out.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-14, 02:54 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a 2004, so no aux jack here. I'm thinking that aux jack on yours is actually a 3.5 mm audio/video jack. Not just audio. You'd need an adapter to put the audio on the correct sections of the plug. Maybe Radio Shack has an adapter? Of course, I may be totally wrong on this...

Red to Red
White to White
Yellow not used

One of these

and one of these

Last edited by 470reasons; 04-21-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 02:54 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
Hi, GX people! I apologize in advance, but I actually have searched the owner's manual AND used the advanced search on this 1st Gen GX470 forum, but have not been successful in finding the answer.
How do you activate the AUX input? I tried pressing the DISC-AUX button, but there was no way to select the AUX jack itself. I speculated that you might have to plug a device into the AUX jack to disable DISC (something like plugging a set of headphones into an output jack disables internal speakers), but my son says that he tried it and it did not work. What is the secret formula? I know that someone here has figured it out.
Thanks.
What you described is exactly how it works on my IS350. Alas, my GX is an '05 and does not have aux input. Try it for yourself and see if your son is pulling your leg.
Old 04-21-14, 04:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

only if the AUX is plugged in, then when you press the DISC-AUX, you can go into AUX. the button will toggle between DVD changer and the AUX input
The following users liked this post:
MDSteamer (02-18-22)
Old 04-21-14, 05:45 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, everyone. It does not recognize the stereo audio plug (with tip, ring, and sleeve connections).
I would expect that at least it would disable the DVD playback just by plugging it in (mechanical switch in the jack).
We will try it with an A/V plug having 4 connections.
Old 04-21-14, 06:43 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

We got an audio/video cable and plugged it into the AUX jack, then started the engine.
Pressed the Disc-Aux selector button, and the DVD movie was displayed. Tried pressing Disc-Aux several times with no effect.
Also tried several times plugging/unplugging the cable, but no change, not even the click or pop I would have expected. The movie kept on playing.
I guess the next step is to check if the jack has a broken wire or something. Any further ideas?
Also, my son said that it did work at some time in the past.

Last edited by Gene01; 04-21-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 08:18 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

This is from a 4runner thread, but it could be why your jack isn't working. Seems to be a common problem on 4runners.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26840

This is the 2007 4runner jack (with flip-up cover. Does your aux jack look like this?

Name:  jack_zpsca14ced9.jpg
Views: 7177
Size:  12.1 KB

EDIT: I can answer that. Yes it does!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2007.html

150 bucks before the discount. I'll bet there are other circuit board mount audio jacks that would work (for around 5 bucks).

Also, I've read that some Lexus owners complain about the low volume from the aux jack. They have to turn the aux device volume all the way up to get a usable signal.
Have you tried that?

Good luck!

Last edited by 470reasons; 04-21-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 08:20 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gene01
We got an audio/video cable and plugged it into the AUX jack, then started the engine.
Pressed the Disc-Aux selector button, and the DVD movie was displayed. Tried pressing Disc-Aux several times with no effect.
Also tried several times plugging/unplugging the cable, but no change, not even the click or pop I would have expected. The movie kept on playing.
I guess the next step is to check if the jack has a broken wire or something. Any further ideas?
Also, my son said that it did work at some time in the past.
Did some more reading on this. I don't think it is an av type input. Go back to the standard 3.5 mm stereo jack.

Then again, the GX wiring diagram shows what could be a video signal. Nah, those three line are probably the control lines to route audio from CD or Aux. I'm going to bed. You figure it out Gene.
Name:  aaa_zpsc2b5cd1d.jpg
Views: 7541
Size:  39.2 KB

Last edited by 470reasons; 04-21-14 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 07:04 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Because those three are the ones with the shield, my guess is they're the ones carrying the audio signal. Some investigation may be necessary...

Chip H.
Old 04-22-14, 08:03 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
Because those three are the ones with the shield, my guess is they're the ones carrying the audio signal. Some investigation may be necessary...

Chip H.
Good point chip. Why shield control signals and not the audio?
Here's what may have happened. There's a TSB to replace the original jack and wiring harness because of noise issues on the aux input. The parts diagram shows the original jack wiring and the new jack and harness corrected for the unshielded audio lines. I'm full of theories! Or full of something!!! TSB doesn't mention the GX???

Originally Posted by chiph9
Some investigation may be necessary...
Old 04-22-14, 04:18 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

470Reasons - That looks like the GX470 AUX jack, except that the GX has the rectangle's long edges pointing fore and aft (parallel to the longitudinal axis of the car), so "AUX" is printed across the cover parallel to the short edges. the forward (short) edge of the cover has the hinge so it opens exposing the jack to the driver's sight.
In other words, the white "AUX" is oriented 90 deg from what your picture shows.

A thousand thanks for posting the circuit diagram! I don't (yet) have the service library for the GX470.
It looks very much like a standard stereo audio + video jack, with the addition of a sense circuit to detect when a plug is inserted. Scientific guess: shorting the AUXG to the AUX0/1 line activates the AUX input.
Do you happen to know if Lexus included a special cable for its AUX in jack when originally delivered?
(I don't want to experiment with my daughter-in-law's expensive car :-)
Again, thanks to all who posted with ideas - you guys are great!
Old 04-23-14, 06:11 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is like my 2007 GX470, it is audio (no video) and it does have a small bit of circuitry included (I pulled my aux plug adapter out to look). It probably is noise shielding in the adapter. A standard 3.5mm stereo cable connected to my iPhone works just fine but does require volume set to max on the iPhone and, at least, 40 on the car (have gone to max car volume level frequently). Various EQ settings work better on the phone than others - play around till your happy. I plugged a Blackberry Music Gateway (wireless adapter) into my car AUX to create wireless connection. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-14, 10:39 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Mparent - Thanks! That is definitely going above and beyond the call of duty (pulling your adapter out). Did it just come out of the dash by prying under the bezel?
Old 02-02-22, 07:02 PM
Shalmanese
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 GX470 NAV infotainment. I have what appears to be a 3.5" socket next to cigarette lighter and car seat heater rollers. What is it? Will android 3.5" output work?
Old 02-03-22, 05:41 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

yup will play music from phone through system..just plug in a bluetooth adapter or direct from phone to jack
The following users liked this post:
Shalmanese (02-04-22)

Quick Reply: 08 GX470 AUX input - how to use?