GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Michelin Latitude & Bridgestone Dueler

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 12:46 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Michelin Latitude & Bridgestone Dueler

Hi guys ! My truck needs a new set of tires soon . By the way i'm gonna get the new wheels and tires so right now i'm in between Michelin Latitude Tour HP & Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, i do not know which ones to go with that Bridgestone slightly is higher in tread wear warranty 80,000 miles
Do you guys have any ideas on these tires ?
Thanks!
Old 04-15-14, 05:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The HP tour are great tires but your paying for the HP. bought the lattitude tours not the HP tour. The P tours are rated HIGH Performance Higher speed and temp. I dont know if there is a benefit vs cost. I bought a set of take offs that had 8 miles on them. I had bought a set of chrome rims from a gx460. The rim size is 18 " so i used Michelin 265 x 60 x 18 . I paid 535.00 f0r the set shipped
Old 04-18-14, 06:30 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a good luck with Michelin Cross Terran from Costco, it very quiet and good wear. I had problem before with Bridgestones Dueler. The Bridgestones came with the car were excellent, the the one I replaced was very bad, worn out in just 30K miles and no warranty even at Costco.
Old 04-19-14, 01:04 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I was talking to the tire center guy at Costco today. He says Michelin may offer a $70 rebate sometime in May.

Chip H.
Old 04-21-14, 01:14 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys for your inputs. Maybe i will go with the stock Michelin Cross Terran again, it has very good tread wear.
Old 04-30-14, 05:21 PM
dkhighperf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You get what you pay for

Even though I am new to this site I belong to a few others and IMHO when it comes to tires you get what you pay for. Michelins are pricey but tough to beat. They always seem to last longer then their treadwear would make you think and the set I have on my recently acquired GX seem remarkably quite considering the tread pattern on them.

My .02c

DK
Old 05-01-14, 09:11 AM
bhesse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin LTX M/S2 are what I just exchanged my cross terrains for and extremely happy with them, have Michelin on all my vehicles now and nothing bad to say except high price but it is worth the extra over the life of the tires
Old 05-01-14, 12:16 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

We know the tires aren't actually going to last 80k miles, and I honestly don't think the warranty is worth the paper it's written on. Have you ever tried to collect on those types of warranties? It's a crap shoot at best, you might get lucky and have a retailer that will bend over backwards, but in my experience, they usually weasel their way out to something like giving you a small discount on a new set of tires.

I would lean towards the Michelin tires. Every set of Michelins I've owned Ive been happy with. I had a set of Bridgestones that were absolute junk, although it wasn't a set for the GX.
Old 05-01-14, 03:46 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
We know the tires aren't actually going to last 80k miles, and I honestly don't think the warranty is worth the paper it's written on. Have you ever tried to collect on those types of warranties? It's a crap shoot at best, you might get lucky and have a retailer that will bend over backwards, but in my experience, they usually weasel their way out to something like giving you a small discount on a new set of tires.

I would lean towards the Michelin tires. Every set of Michelins I've owned Ive been happy with. I had a set of Bridgestones that were absolute junk, although it wasn't a set for the GX.
I've actually great and not so great experience with the tread life of Michelins. The LTXs on my father's Tundra are at about 20% tread left (not down to the wear indicators yet) and have clocked over 100,000 miles.

On my IS350, I had an assymetric setup of directional all seasons that were warrantied for 45,000 miles. They lasted only 30,000 because they cannot be rotated yet Discount Tire still prorated 33% of my purchase of a new pair. The manager said that he wanted to honor the warranty on the Michelins (even though it was void by not rotating) anyway because he wanted return business and wanted to sell the better quality product.
Old 05-01-14, 06:18 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothnghead
I've actually great and not so great experience with the tread life of Michelins. The LTXs on my father's Tundra are at about 20% tread left (not down to the wear indicators yet) and have clocked over 100,000 miles.

On my IS350, I had an assymetric setup of directional all seasons that were warrantied for 45,000 miles. They lasted only 30,000 because they cannot be rotated yet Discount Tire still prorated 33% of my purchase of a new pair. The manager said that he wanted to honor the warranty on the Michelins (even though it was void by not rotating) anyway because he wanted return business and wanted to sell the better quality product.
Similar situation, I have a brother with an IS300 and it absolutely eats up tires. The problem is Lexus set up the alignment to be extremely aggressive from the factory, sounds like they may do the same with the IS250/350. It doesn't matter how often you rotate or if the factory alignment is perfect, it just chews up tires. So he now just buys cheap tires.

Really bad decision on Lexus part, the few people that want to road race on the weekends can adjust their alignment accordingly, 99% of consumers would take that small hit in handling to have tires that actually last.

If you can find an "old school" place that knows what they're doing, you can have them adjust the alignment so it's more suited for longer tire life.