Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Installing the pt228-60540 hitch

Old 04-12-14, 04:56 PM   #1
shadowmite
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Installing the pt228-60540 hitch

So I found one of the 6500lb class 4 lexus hitches on the local craigslist for $50. Needless to say I bought it and plan to install next weekend maybe. It's missing the hardware and frame spacers. I figure the hardware bolts etc are easy enough to get at Home Depot but am worried about the frame spacers. Anyway know if those are really needed? Does something not clear without a bit of space? I figured I could try washers?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-f...th-photos.html

the plates seen in those pics in the middle between the bracket and the hitch are what I'm referring to.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by shadowmite; 04-12-14 at 05:18 PM..
shadowmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 05:25 PM   #2
chiph9
Pole Position

You really want the spacers. There are two for the sides that let the hitch clear the frame welds. They prevent the welds from cracking from the stress of the flat hitch on them. And the two spacers that go under the center portion are needed to get the height & alignment right. Without them the hitch will put stress on the frame when you tighten the bolts. You might even warp the frame or hitch when you tighten them.

So far as fasteners - you want grade 8 for a 6500 lb hitch (they're also used in automotive suspensions). Look for 6 radial lines on the bolt heads. Pretty sure you won't find them at Home Depot or Lowes and will need to order them online. Grainger or Fastenal are good vendors.

The center bolts are the most important, as they support the tongue weight on their threads. Then the rear-most side bolts, and then the front-most side bolts (they undergo shear load when you pull the trailer, and don't have much vertical load to them).

The bolt sizes and torque specs are on the instructions from Sewell Lexus.

Hint: Use some dish soap on the exhaust hanger to lubricate the rubber, so it slides off easier.

Chip H.
Old 04-12-14, 07:38 PM   #3
shadowmite
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps that's why it was so cheap then, wonder if I can get a shop to fab some spacers for me.
Old 04-14-14, 08:10 AM   #4
shadowmite
Driver School Candidate

If anyone happens to have this hitch and the frame spacers laying around not installed, I'd love to have a set of measurements on the spacers. Otherwise I'll get creative in a couple weeks.
Old 04-14-14, 10:08 AM   #5
chiph9
Pole Position

The shape and hole positions are pretty important, but I think the metal thickness is actually the critical dimension.

Chip H.
Old 04-14-14, 10:08 AM