GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement of Trans oil on GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 12:11 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

You're going to want to use the factory Toyota World Standard fluid, unless you're willing to do a 3x full change to ensure that all the old fluid is out when you change out to the Royal Purple. Which could get expensive...

Frankly, for something as amazingly expensive as a transmission, I wouldn't take the chance with aftermarket fluids.

Chip H.
Old 06-23-15, 04:46 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Yes, they have good prices. Not sure if they are best, but they help support the site and everything I ordered from them came promptly.

Below is everything you need to complete the job.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL PAN GASKET
$16.29 1 $16.29

VALVE BODY OIL STRAINER ASSEMBLY
$41.27 1 $41.27

O-RING (FOR OIL STRAINER)

****YOU NEED TWO OF THESE*****GASKET, DRAIN PLUG (ATM - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION)
$1.74 2 $3.48

HOLE SNAP (FOR TRANSFER ADAPTER)
$1.60 1 $1.60
Out of this list, what parts would you suggest are highly recommended to replace? Would you suggest replacing the VALVE BODY OIL STRAINER ASSEMBLY?

Anyone find a good prince on Toyota ATF in MD/DC/VA area? I'm planning to start calling all the local Toyota dearlers to find out.
Old 06-25-15, 05:32 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
Out of this list, what parts would you suggest are highly recommended to replace? Would you suggest replacing the VALVE BODY OIL STRAINER ASSEMBLY?

Anyone find a good prince on Toyota ATF in MD/DC/VA area? I'm planning to start calling all the local Toyota dearlers to find out.
I've always bought parts at Carmax Toyota in Laurel. Good prices compared to other local ones.
Old 06-25-15, 09:58 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose you don't NEED to change the strainer assembly but if you are dropping the pan then why not would be my question. All other parts you need as they are washers and I would not re use the old ones unless of course you want some transmission fluid leaking. I got my WS ATF fluid from ebay....a case of 12 quarts about 100 bucks or so....I think.

Originally Posted by Matsui

Old 06-26-15, 03:30 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
I suppose you don't NEED to change the strainer assembly but if you are dropping the pan then why not would be my question. All other parts you need as they are washers and I would not re use the old ones unless of course you want some transmission fluid leaking. I got my WS ATF fluid from ebay....a case of 12 quarts about 100 bucks or so....I think.
I think you are right. It is a small investment to get everything replaced for such an important part of the car.
Old 07-13-15, 05:11 PM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Transmission Service

So my truck has about 117000 miles on it, I occasionally tow a boat trailer or my ATV trailer with it, and I'd like to get the trans fluid flushed and replaced along with a new filter. You would think I'm looking for a magic unicorn that squirts beer from its horn!

I've called 3 different Lexus dealers and spoken with the service advisors and gotten 3 different answers and completely different prices for this service. Prices ranged from $199.95 to close to $500. Here's the kicker - all 3 dealers said that the filter would not be changed. They all stated that the transmission is sealed, so it doesn't get a filter change?!

What exactly is the big mystery with this transmission? You would think that a large Lexus dealer would have a service department that somewhat knew the correct procedure for this. Hell, two of the service managers didn't even know how many quarts of WS fluid the trans needed!

Does anyone on here know of an independent mechanic in Chicagoland/ northern Illinois that they can recommend to service my transmission?
Old 07-14-15, 08:34 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

my lexus dealer just flushed the entire system and refilled, did not drop pan or change filter. new bosch trans oil change machine....they were excited about finally using it...LOL.
Old 09-21-15, 10:45 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
my lexus dealer just flushed the entire system and refilled, did not drop pan or change filter. new bosch trans oil change machine....they were excited about finally using it...LOL.
How much they charge you Alan ??
Old 09-21-15, 10:48 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TWillz
So my truck has about 117000 miles on it, I occasionally tow a boat trailer or my ATV trailer with it, and I'd like to get the trans fluid flushed and replaced along with a new filter. You would think I'm looking for a magic unicorn that squirts beer from its horn!

I've called 3 different Lexus dealers and spoken with the service advisors and gotten 3 different answers and completely different prices for this service. Prices ranged from $199.95 to close to $500. Here's the kicker - all 3 dealers said that the filter would not be changed. They all stated that the transmission is sealed, so it doesn't get a filter change?!

What exactly is the big mystery with this transmission? You would think that a large Lexus dealer would have a service department that somewhat knew the correct procedure for this. Hell, two of the service managers didn't even know how many quarts of WS fluid the trans needed!

Does anyone on here know of an independent mechanic in Chicagoland/ northern Illinois that they can recommend to service my transmission?
It is a sealed unit and does not require a filter change... Read your owners manual..
Old 09-21-15, 11:55 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by techrep
How much they charge you Alan ??
Geez, I forget...about 125 labor and whatever the coast of 15 qts of fluid. It was done in March. I have since traded it in for. An 09
Old 09-21-15, 07:32 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techrep
It is a sealed unit and does not require a filter change... Read your owners manual..
The owners manual also says that the transmission fluid does not need to be changed at all...LOL. I plan on keeping my GX for a long time, so dropped the pan and changed the screen / filter. This way you also can clean the bottom of the pan and magnets. Very easy to do....
Old 09-22-15, 11:34 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Sweet... If you feel you need to do that ... the book tell's you its not required was all I was getting at... I had a 4runner with same tranny with over 200K miles on her...not one problem with her tranny.
Old 09-24-15, 09:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

$125 is worth it, I did it myself its a pain without a lift the way you have to fill it I felt like I had popeye forearms by the end of pumping over 12 quarts through the system the manual way.
Old 09-24-15, 07:28 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
$125 is worth it, I did it myself its a pain without a lift the way you have to fill it I felt like I had popeye forearms by the end of pumping over 12 quarts through the system the manual way.
My dealer had some machine made by Bosch that get hooked up to the trans cooling lines, sucks out old and leaves new in. Did not drop pan or change "filter". Supposedly this flush cleans the filter. I think places like aamco use the same procedure.
Old 09-25-15, 08:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah those machines can make it a piece of cake but have a slight risk of over pressurizing some things.
still better than manual, you still ust the cooler lines to drain 3 quarts, then go under vehicle and pump in 3 quarts, and repeat until it looks clear, I went through 14 quarts before it looked red enough and man I was beat and tired, and has a couple burn marks on my arm reaching the filler bolt = not a fun job. will get the machine used on the other GX.

Quick Reply: Replacement of Trans oil on GX