GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement of Trans oil on GX

Old 08-15-14, 01:15 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
the at-temp check is for when you dont measure accurately or some oil spills and cannot be recovered (its a method to get around sloppy techs, etc). if you recover everything and can measure it, then simply put back what you took out, no need for the fancy at-temp method, etc.

the only concern i think may be there when using a non at-temp method is possibly a density diff between the old and new oil. but from what i can see, very insignificant diff (if any at all).

Toyota would be wise to add a sight glass to the pan, then checking the level would be so much easier vs having to watch fluid fall out of a riser tube.
I dunno about that. The level check is done via the overflow tube, so whether you measured accurately or not, it's full when you get a dribble from the overflow tube (at the correct fluid temp). The fluid expands and contracts with temp, so getting the level exactly correct, DOES require the fluid be at the right temp IMO. They say these tranny's are sensitive to fluid level, so it's something I'd want to know was done right.
Old 08-15-14, 07:28 PM
MishaGX92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are only two things you can do.

1) have a dealer do a complete flush, this is like a dialysis procedure for the trans.
2) drain pan, then drop pan, save every drop so you can measure (by volume). replace filter and pan gasket, put pan back on. then you pump in new oil into the oil check port in the pan, pump in same amount that you took out. this will get you about 5 new qts of oil in the system.

#1 will not get you a new filter, ............ you should get a new filter in there.

now, you have to be creative to pump in the oil, look around for the pumps that go onto the qt bottles, you need a fill hose that will fit snug into the check port, etc. you should plan to pump in 2-3 oz more than what you took out to account for minor spillage and not being able to get every drop out of the bottles, etc.

i have a thread somewhere with some pics, search for my posts, you should be able to find it.
appreciate the answer, but i wasn't asking about the engine oil change, i asked about changing the transmission oil!

thank you again for your time guys!
Old 08-21-14, 10:26 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

with gravity feed method how does eevry drop you put into hose make the turn under the pan and up into the trans?

i dont even bring it to temp, i just drain and drop pan, measure what i have, and then put back the exact same amount. i used one of those transfer hand pumps from HF and this allowed me to turn bottle upside down so every drop got into the pump.
To get every last drop of fluid in the line into the transmission, I simply blew into the hose on the other end. Very scientific.
Old 10-04-14, 12:25 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this the last last weekend and just want to say thank you to everyone who made this a diy thread. I dropped the pan and changed the filter/screen, cleaned the magnets and got about 5.5 quarts total with draining and dropping the pan. I did x2 more drain and fills which yielded about 3 quarts each. So, roughly 12 quarts total. Dropping the pan was a little more involved and required taking part of the exhaust off that crossed the pan. One question: does anyone know the percentage of new fluid is in there now? Thanks.
Old 10-05-14, 06:10 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Just like to share a trick for tranny fluid refilling. I accidentally lost some tranny fluid when doing a radiator replacement work. This thread has good ideas of how to refill the tranny fluid. However, access to the tranny fill hole under the truck is tough. I just used this little trick to add tranny fluid. I removed the returning hose (the top one) of the tranny Oil Cooler in front of the GX. Pour the fluid into the hose. The fluid will return to the tranny through the cooling path. It slowly drains with gravity and needs patient. But it works.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement of Trans oil on GX-gx_1.jpg  

Last edited by tz693; 10-05-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 10:14 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

^My thoughts on what taco said
Old 10-14-14, 05:48 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

tz693,
getting oil back in isnt the hard part, its knowing exactly how much.

how do you know how much you lost?
I lost about a quart. I did not check the exact refill. I guess to add oil from the refill hole, you need to use a pump. You can use this method to be accurate.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement of Trans oil on GX-oil1.jpg  

Last edited by tz693; 10-14-14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 06:10 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

yeah, but car has to be at operating temp which is like 104 to 113 degrees before you do that top off.. The fluid expands as heated so this is a critical step
Old 10-20-14, 10:46 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

what if it wont full up to begin with
Old 10-24-14, 03:31 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about using a temperature gun to check trans temp? I saw a guy do this on a hyndai.
Old 10-25-14, 08:07 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

This is copied and pasted from the instructions.........."Connect terminals between CG (4) and TC (13) of
the DLC3 using SST (09843−18040)"

Do you just use a jumper wire connected to these terminals?
Old 10-26-14, 05:33 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

yes and then go through series of shifts , etc, watch for blinding light once at operating temp, which is when you top off. Once light is solid, it is above top off temp. Instructions are on this forum that go step by step. The fluid expands when heated and this is why this step is critical.
Old 10-26-14, 06:43 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by burny
yes and then go through series of shifts , etc, watch for blinding light once at operating temp, which is when you top off. Once light is solid, it is above top off temp. Instructions are on this forum that go step by step. The fluid expands when heated and this is why this step is critical.
Blinding light?Where will I see that?Coming from the dash? Do you mean that the 'D" will become very bright?
Old 10-26-14, 04:56 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

blinking, lol sorry
Old 10-26-14, 05:55 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by burny
blinking, lol sorry
LOL,ok,thank you.

Taday I did an oil change and was scoping out the transmission .I took some pics to make sure I have everything in order before I tackle this. The drain plug is easy,can you or someone else confirm the fill port and the over flow plug. I am confused because what I think is the over flow plug(its a hex fitting facing the ground,I thought it would be on the side of the pan).Its not much higher than the drain plug,is,that right? See pics below.

I see what I think is a fill plug on the side of the transmissin above the rear of the transmission pan. I put a socket on it and its 24mm,is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails Replacement of Trans oil on GX-fill-plu.jpg   Replacement of Trans oil on GX-overflow-plug.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement of Trans oil on GX