Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Replacement of Trans oil on GX

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-14, 07:52 AM   #46
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
I have a pump like you mentioned but i'd advise against using it in this case. It's much easier to just run a hose from the transmission fill hole up through the engine bay and connected to a funnel. Of course, this makes it a 2 man job as you will need someone to pour the fluid and another one watch the fill hole and overflow hole.

I just did the transmission fluid and filter change again (2nd time) last weekend. I did it initially at 50k miles and now again at ~100k miles. I got a little over 5 quarts in and out. Everything went smoothly except for the fact that when I put the car into "temp. check mode", the car immediately said the fluid was already warm enough as opposed to having to idle for a bit to get it up to temp. I don't really see a problem with this, although the manual mentions the fluid should be less than 86 F before beginning the temp. check mode. That is a bit tough to accomplish in South Florida in the middle of the summer.
with gravity feed method how does eevry drop you put into hose make the turn under the pan and up into the trans?

i dont even bring it to temp, i just drain and drop pan, measure what i have, and then put back the exact same amount. i used one of those transfer hand pumps from HF and this allowed me to turn bottle upside down so every drop got into the pump.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 08:57 AM   #47
IanB2
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
IanB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WPG, MB
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
I have a pump like you mentioned but i'd advise against using it in this case. It's much easier to just run a hose from the transmission fill hole up through the engine bay and connected to a funnel. Of course, this makes it a 2 man job as you will need someone to pour the fluid and another one watch the fill hole and overflow hole.

I just did the transmission fluid and filter change again (2nd time) last weekend. I did it initially at 50k miles and now again at ~100k miles. I got a little over 5 quarts in and out. Everything went smoothly except for the fact that when I put the car into "temp. check mode", the car immediately said the fluid was already warm enough as opposed to having to idle for a bit to get it up to temp. I don't really see a problem with this, although the manual mentions the fluid should be less than 86 F before beginning the temp. check mode. That is a bit tough to accomplish in South Florida in the middle of the summer.
I'd argue that the fluid transfer pump is the way to go for this job as well, but to each their own.

I had the same issue with the fluid being overtemp when I tried to do the temp check and final level check. It was a real hot day (maybe not Florida hot though, lol), and I had to set a fan up blowing air under the truck for 3/4 hour to get it cooled off so I could finish the job.
__________________
'04 GX470 - ML audio w/ RSES, 4300k HID, GROM USB2 w/BT, FJ Cruiser 6-spokes w/ Lexus centercaps, 265/70/17C Duratracs, TPMS disabled, weathertech mats & cargo mat
'93 Land Cruiser HDJ81 - 3X diff locks, winch, center console fridge, 285/75/16E Duratracs, HID retrofit, IPF SuperRally aux lights, Aussie front bumper - My Baby
'99 MB E55t AMG - 354hp/390ft/lb torque Daily Driver
IanB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 12:56 PM   #48
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 315
Default

the at-temp check is for when you dont measure accurately or some oil spills and cannot be recovered (its a method to get around sloppy techs, etc). if you recover everything and can measure it, then simply put back what you took out, no need for the fancy at-temp method, etc.

the only concern i think may be there when using a non at-temp method is possibly a density diff between the old and new oil. but from what i can see, very insignificant diff (if any at all).

Toyota would be wise to add a sight glass to the pan, then checking the level would be so much easier vs having to watch fluid fall out of a riser tube.
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 02:15 PM   #49
IanB2
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
IanB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WPG, MB
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
the at-temp check is for when you dont measure accurately or some oil spills and cannot be recovered (its a method to get around sloppy techs, etc). if you recover everything and can measure it, then simply put back what you took out, no need for the fancy at-temp method, etc.

the only concern i think may be there when using a non at-temp method is possibly a density diff between the old and new oil. but from what i can see, very insignificant diff (if any at all).

Toyota would be wise to add a sight glass to the pan, then checking the level would be so much easier vs having to watch fluid fall out of a riser tube.
I dunno about that. The level check is done via the overflow tube, so whether you measured accurately or not, it's full when you get a dribble from the overflow tube (at the correct fluid temp). The fluid expands and contracts with temp, so getting the level exactly correct, DOES require the fluid be at the right temp IMO. They say these tranny's are sensitive to fluid level, so it's something I'd want to know was done right.
__________________
'04 GX470 - ML audio w/ RSES, 4300k HID, GROM USB2 w/BT, FJ Cruiser 6-spokes w/ Lexus centercaps, 265/70/17C Duratracs, TPMS disabled, weathertech mats & cargo mat
'93 Land Cruiser HDJ81 - 3X diff locks, winch, center console fridge, 285/75/16E Duratracs, HID retrofit, IPF SuperRally aux lights, Aussie front bumper - My Baby
'99 MB E55t AMG - 354hp/390ft/lb torque Daily Driver
IanB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 04:00 PM   #50
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB2 View Post
I dunno about that. The level check is done via the overflow tube, so whether you measured accurately or not, it's full when you get a dribble from the overflow tube (at the correct fluid temp). The fluid expands and contracts with temp, so getting the level exactly correct, DOES require the fluid be at the right temp IMO. They say these tranny's are sensitive to fluid level, so it's something I'd want to know was done right.
if you take 5qts out @ 72F and put back 5qts @ 72F, should be good to go? the oil in and out is at same temp so technically the volume is the same (not 100% true, density does change due to in-service damage to the oil molecules, but wont make a diff here).

the overflow tube method is a more exacting method but i didnt feel it was required for me to drop the pan, replace filter, and refill.

i think at-temp has to do more with internal parts expanding than it does with the oil changing density. in other words, if you use the overflow tube method when the trans is cold you may be putting in too much, etc.
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 08:28 PM   #51
MishaGX92
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
MishaGX92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: mississippi
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
there are only two things you can do.

1) have a dealer do a complete flush, this is like a dialysis procedure for the trans.
2) drain pan, then drop pan, save every drop so you can measure (by volume). replace filter and pan gasket, put pan back on. then you pump in new oil into the oil check port in the pan, pump in same amount that you took out. this will get you about 5 new qts of oil in the system.

#1 will not get you a new filter, ............ you should get a new filter in there.

now, you have to be creative to pump in the oil, look around for the pumps that go onto the qt bottles, you need a fill hose that will fit snug into the check port, etc. you should plan to pump in 2-3 oz more than what you took out to account for minor spillage and not being able to get every drop out of the bottles, etc.

i have a thread somewhere with some pics, search for my posts, you should be able to find it.
appreciate the answer, but i wasn't asking about the engine oil change, i asked about changing the transmission oil!

thank you again for your time guys!
MishaGX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 11:03 PM   #52
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaGX92 View Post
appreciate the answer, but i wasn't asking about the engine oil change, i asked about changing the transmission oil!

thank you again for your time guys!
yep, i was talking about ATF, those are your two options, these trans are sealed units, you do know there's a filter to change? if not then i recommend you have someone else do the work.

and oddly the navi system has a reminder for ATF... whaaaaaat, its WS fluid, doesnt need a reminder.

anyways, good luck with it.
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 11:26 AM   #53
FlzRider
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
with gravity feed method how does eevry drop you put into hose make the turn under the pan and up into the trans?

i dont even bring it to temp, i just drain and drop pan, measure what i have, and then put back the exact same amount. i used one of those transfer hand pumps from HF and this allowed me to turn bottle upside down so every drop got into the pump.
To get every last drop of fluid in the line into the transmission, I simply blew into the hose on the other end. Very scientific.
FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 01:25 PM   #54
Barnesie
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17
Default

I did this the last last weekend and just want to say thank you to everyone who made this a diy thread. I dropped the pan and changed the filter/screen, cleaned the magnets and got about 5.5 quarts total with draining and dropping the pan. I did x2 more drain and fills which yielded about 3 quarts each. So, roughly 12 quarts total. Dropping the pan was a little more involved and required taking part of the exhaust off that crossed the pan. One question: does anyone know the percentage of new fluid is in there now? Thanks.
Barnesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 07:10 PM   #55
tz693
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 104
Default

Just like to share a trick for tranny fluid refilling. I accidentally lost some tranny fluid when doing a radiator replacement work. This thread has good ideas of how to refill the tranny fluid. However, access to the tranny fill hole under the truck is tough. I just used this little trick to add tranny fluid. I removed the returning hose (the top one) of the tranny Oil Cooler in front of the GX. Pour the fluid into the hose. The fluid will return to the tranny through the cooling path. It slowly drains with gravity and needs patient. But it works.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2004 GX Blizzard Pearl
HID Headlight

Last edited by tz693; 10-05-14 at 07:42 PM..
tz693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 09:05 AM   #56
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 315
Default

tz693,
getting oil back in isnt the hard part, its knowing exactly how much.

how do you know how much you lost?
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 11:14 AM   #57
burny
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,061
Default

^My thoughts on what taco said
__________________
2009 GX470
2007 GS350
2002 GS300
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 06:48 PM   #58
tz693
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
tz693,
getting oil back in isnt the hard part, its knowing exactly how much.

how do you know how much you lost?
I lost about a quart. I did not check the exact refill. I guess to add oil from the refill hole, you need to use a pump. You can use this method to be accurate.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2004 GX Blizzard Pearl
HID Headlight

Last edited by tz693; 10-14-14 at 06:52 PM..
tz693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 07:10 PM   #59
burny
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,061
Default

yeah, but car has to be at operating temp which is like 104 to 113 degrees before you do that top off.. The fluid expands as heated so this is a critical step
__________________
2009 GX470
2007 GS350
2002 GS300
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 08:00 AM   #60
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burny View Post
yeah, but car has to be at operating temp which is like 104 to 113 degrees before you do that top off.. The fluid expands as heated so this is a critical step
it doesnt matter if you know how much was lost, you put back exact same amount, etc.

if you use the overflow tube method then temp matters.
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 08:00 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GX470 2004/Catalytic Converter 04GX470PW GX - First Generation 1 01-22-09 03:07 PM
/// Brembo Kit For GX470 \\\ cknjohnny GX - First Generation 1 09-15-08 12:46 PM
Changing the Height of the GX petsb10 GX - First Generation 3 12-11-05 09:41 PM
Supercharger for GX 470 Capirato GX - First Generation 12 11-24-04 11:34 PM
Is the GX470 made in Japan? sleepybobcat GX - First Generation 20 11-19-02 06:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info