GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking @ '08 - '09 GX 470s

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 09:33 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking @ '08 - '09 GX 470s

We're finally getting out of an XC90 and trying to get into a GX 470. I've poured over various forums and come up with this list of things to go over when inspecting a used GX. My main question is how to check the ride height, do I just have my wife sit in the running GX and have her move the ride height switch and make sure the SUV raises and lowers on all four corners ? How can I tell if it had KDSS ?

If I've missed anything major or minor please add to the checklist.

• How Many Keys ?
• Dash Cracks
• Radiator Leaks (pink gunk on radiator)
• Check Suspension (ride- height adjustments/ KDSS ?)
• Driveline cluck stopping and right after releasing the brake
• VIN Lexus Service History
• Owners Manual
• Wheel Lock Key (stored with jack)
• Tool Kit Complete
• First Aid Kit
• Spare Tire (underneath)
• Rear Seat Entertainment REMOTE
• Rear Cargo Net
• 3rd Row center headrest (stored in zippered compartment)
• Cargo Cover
Old 04-02-14, 09:58 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

List looks good but FYI only the rear will raise on our GX, we don't have airbags in the front.

As far as how you can tell if it has KDSS, someone asked the same question a few posts down from yours:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-470-a.html
Old 04-02-14, 10:09 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

One addition: If the truck is over (or close to) 90,000 miles (possible for a well-driven '08), verify the timing belt has been changed.

This should show up in the service history if it were done at a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Chip H.
Old 04-02-14, 12:44 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BossGS4
We're finally getting out of an XC90 and trying to get into a GX 470. I've poured over various forums and come up with this list of things to go over when inspecting a used GX. My main question is how to check the ride height, do I just have my wife sit in the running GX and have her move the ride height switch and make sure the SUV raises and lowers on all four corners ? How can I tell if it had KDSS ?

If I've missed anything major or minor please add to the checklist.

• How Many Keys ?
• Dash Cracks
• Radiator Leaks (pink gunk on radiator)
• Check Suspension (ride- height adjustments/ KDSS ?)
• Driveline cluck stopping and right after releasing the brake
• VIN Lexus Service History
• Owners Manual
• Wheel Lock Key (stored with jack)
• Tool Kit Complete
• First Aid Kit
• Spare Tire (underneath)
• Rear Seat Entertainment REMOTE
• Rear Cargo Net
• 3rd Row center headrest (stored in zippered compartment)
• Cargo Cover
I don't believe the Cargo Cover comes with those w/3 rows ... its one or the other. I could be wrong, someone chime in if I'm incorrect here. But makes sense to me since I'm not sure how/where it would hook up with the 3rd row up or down.
Old 04-02-14, 12:45 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chiph9
One addition: If the truck is over (or close to) 90,000 miles (possible for a well-driven '08), verify the timing belt has been changed.

This should show up in the service history if it were done at a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Chip H.
I was told a sticker is placed (somewhere) on the engine when the belt is replaced; if the owner does not know, then a Toyota or Lexus dealer may be able to determine if inspected.
Old 04-02-14, 03:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fluid
I don't believe the Cargo Cover comes with those w/3 rows ... its one or the other. I could be wrong, someone chime in if I'm incorrect here. But makes sense to me since I'm not sure how/where it would hook up with the 3rd row up or down.
It's either or (3rd row / cargo cover), you can't have both since the trim panels are different.
Old 04-03-14, 07:58 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

We're going to look at the GX tonight ! Thanks for clearing up the 3rd row/cover item on the list it has 3rd row so no cover. The mileage is under 70K so no timing belt (and it's not in the Toy/Lex history either)

If everything works out I'll focus on getting the 2GS up to par again.

Thanks again !
Old 04-03-14, 10:56 AM
colink1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the battery! Test drove the vehicle twice last week. Took delivery of our 08 GX on Monday, and it wouldn't start on Tuesday morning. Come to find out it was already on its second battery (Battery Plus). My Toyo mechanic dropped in an Interstate (27F) and I was back on the road. Swung by Lexus (where we purchased, and they wrote me a check for my troubles. Besides that, we are happy with our purchase. We traded in an 07 FJ Cruiser.
Old 04-03-14, 11:50 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a used nautical blue exterior/gray interior GX 470 with 18,600 miles on it on March 1, so I just went through this process. To check the ride height, just look in the side view mirrors as you adjust the height settings. You will see stuff move as you change setting.

If the GX 470 has KDSS, there will be a KDSS switch on the center console, right next to the ride height switch. The KDSS switch will have 2 comfort settings and 2 sport settings.

My new (used) GX 470 only came with 2 of the original 4 keys (only one of the original 2 master electronic keys). I am still researching how to purchase a new master electronic key as inexpensively as possible.
Old 04-03-14, 03:16 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

WKOS, did you see my post in your new 2009 thread? I posted a place where you can get the key for a little over a hundred.
Old 04-05-14, 02:29 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Se we ended up buying the GX (66K miles non-KDSS) on April 3rd ... after going through the checklist I got the Used Sales Manager to bring the price down $300 for a missing key, $400 for a cracked door mirror housing and $100 for a cracked back up light lens and $300 for the clunk.

• Took the GX to the dealer for the clunk, test drove it with a tech, replaced rear propeller shaft under warranty.
• Ordering "Transmitter GX470" 8907060801 $97.35 + TechStream from Amazon $27.35 = New Master for $125
• Back Up light lens $61.49
• Nigel JDM LED signal mirror housings (color matched) $259
Old 04-05-14, 03:11 AM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Boss - congratulations, I recently picked up a GX also and am very happy with it.

We also had an XC90 in the past, very different vehicles. It was my wife's but I drive whenever we're together so I was very familiar with it. We never had problems with it but I can't really say anything positive about it. It was soft and I disliked the head rests that seemed to angle forward. I guess the 3rd row design/functionality was better than the GX but that's it.
Old 04-05-14, 08:52 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Our XC90 drove well and tore up snow here in the DC area in 2010 and this past winter. It got great mileage for an SUV with that beast of a 4.4L Yamaha. What killed me was the damn crapbox of a transmission. Whenever the outside temp would get about 70° it would "miss" the 2-3 shift and SLAM into gear. Especially when in stop and go traffic. Had the ECU re-flashed, changed the ATF with Redline D4 twice but that slam-shift always came back. I was also annoyed that the Volvo decided everything for you, the driver couldn't determine any aspect of the driving experience.. The damn non-upgradable fiberoptic stereo didn't come with anything and you could NOT add anything (bluetooth, iPod) and you couldn't replace it b/c the security system was integrated into it,The icing on the cake was all the little things in that car that started to fail, the seat control housings broke, the center console cup holder lid got stuck in the open position, the sunroof shade crapped all it's plastic guides off the spring tensioners, a taillight mysteriously got moisture in it and clouded up, hazing bi-Xenon lenses .... aaaaaargh so glad that thing is gone.
Old 04-05-14, 10:34 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wkosmann
If the GX 470 has KDSS, there will be a KDSS switch on the center console, right next to the ride height switch. The KDSS switch will have 2 comfort settings and 2 sport settings.
Just an FYI, the sport / comfort settings have nothing to do with the KDSS system...ALL GXs have the adjustable shock settings.
Old 04-05-14, 11:01 PM
Sethro
Rookie

Where do you get the Nigel JDM LED signal mirror housings (color matched) $259 ?

Seth

Quick Reply: Looking @ '08 - '09 GX 470s