GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brake Pad Buying Advice

Old 03-31-14, 04:58 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake Pad Buying Advice

I'm planning to order brakes from Sewell and take it to my mechanic for replacement.

I have couple of questions:
1. Is it necessary to order the shim kit and fit kit? I'm considering buying them to avoid any issues down the line. Just want to make sure that it is not a waste of money.
2. Their brake pads are listed as "MARK SUMITOMO" - I assume that it is some brand name and these are not factory pads? Would you recommend these?

Also would you recommend getting a brake flush with replacement? If so, should I stick with Toyota brand brake fluid or what ever the indy has that meets the "DOT" requirement?

Based on your experience should I consider going with some other brand that is better? - don't want to pay too much higher. Just looking for something with good stopping power and no issues with vibrations and squeaks. After searching the forum it seems that some have recommended Akebonos - but these are twice the cost as what Sewell is selling - not sure if they are worth it..

Thanks.
Old 03-31-14, 05:42 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sir, I have an 09 as well and just put the pads on all 4 corners myself. I reused the hardware. I just regreased the shims really well and everything is perfect. I would recommend Toyota pads and would recommend not replacing the hardware until next brake change. The fluid should also be changed with Toyota fluid if it is still the factory fill in your truck. how many miles do you have on it?
Old 03-31-14, 09:48 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by burny
Sir, I have an 09 as well and just put the pads on all 4 corners myself. I reused the hardware. I just regreased the shims really well and everything is perfect. I would recommend Toyota pads and would recommend not replacing the hardware until next brake change. The fluid should also be changed with Toyota fluid if it is still the factory fill in your truck. how many miles do you have on it?
I have almost 110k miles. To avoid any risk, I'm considering getting the kits.

Will it be an issue if the brake fluid in not a Toyota brand?

Has anyone ordered brake pads from Sewell and can share their experience?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-14, 10:33 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui

Will it be an issue if the brake fluid in not a Toyota brand?
Of course not. As long as it's DOT3/4 you're fine using any brand. I'm using Amsoil.
Old 03-31-14, 10:42 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

You can use what RC said. At 110k i would replace the hardware. I only have 29k on mine so didn't bother with it this time.
Old 03-31-14, 10:53 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I would definitely bleed/flush the brakes after changing the pads, no brainer.
Old 03-31-14, 12:16 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Of course not. As long as it's DOT3/4 you're fine using any brand. I'm using Amsoil.
Cool. What brakes are you using on your GX?
Old 03-31-14, 12:19 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by burny
You can use what RC said. At 110k i would replace the hardware. I only have 29k on mine so didn't bother with it this time.
Yeah I got a lot more miles on mine. The good thing is that I feel no vibrations or hear any sound which is great. I hope this continues after the brake replacement so I'll do whatever it takes to avoid any issues afterwards.
Old 03-31-14, 12:20 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IanB2
I would definitely bleed/flush the brakes after changing the pads, no brainer.
Thanks for confirming. Does $100 sound like a fair price for brake fluid change?
Old 03-31-14, 12:33 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Cool. What brakes are you using on your GX?
Raybestos R300 front rotors / Raybestos advanced technology rear rotors and Akebono ceramic pads front and rear.
Old 03-31-14, 01:03 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Thanks for confirming. Does $100 sound like a fair price for brake fluid change?
My dealer charges $150. For something that only has to be done every 3 years (2 if you live near the ocean), that's not too bad.

Chip H.
Old 03-31-14, 01:30 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

$100 is good for what is involved. No more than an hour total.
Old 03-31-14, 01:59 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Sounds good. Look forward to getting this done.

RCsGX - where did you buy the brake pads from and how much did you pay? Did you also buy the shim/fit kit or left those parts as is?
Old 03-31-14, 02:03 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

RCsGX - where did you buy the brake pads from and how much did you pay? Did you also buy the shim/fit kit or left those parts as is?
I bought them from Amazon (Prime ). The shims come pre-installed on the Akebono pads.

Front:
Amazon.com: Akebono ACT976 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Akebono ACT976 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive

Rear:
Amazon.com: Akebono ACT606 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Akebono ACT606 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive
Old 03-31-14, 04:20 PM
msn619
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was up to me I'll change the shims also just peace of mind specially someone els is doing the brake job, bleed the brakes every brake service and every year, when I first had my GX brand new I was pretty disappointed on the oem it squeaks not a lot but on heavy traffic and when I was towing. right now my brake system is the only non oem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pad Buying Advice