GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New 2009 GX470 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-14, 05:56 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next on my major price saving tour is finding a 2013 Navigation update DVD, for what I consider to be a reasonable price. Best price I have found so far is $150. Anybody know of a better price?

I checked, and the Navigation DVD currently in the GX 470 is 8.1, from 2008. Apparently its the original Navigation DVD placed in the SUV. Certainly time to upgrade.
Old 04-12-14, 06:58 PM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Back to my original list of intended upgrades. The topic is getting the GX 470 ready to tow stuff. I get the impression that my GX 470 is most of the way there. It already has the 7 pin power connector installed. It came with a small towing related wiring harness, with a 7 pin connector on one end and a 4 pin connector on the other end, in the glove box. Also installed is the rear bumper insert, color matched to the Nautical Blue of the rest of the bumper and SUV. Missing is the part that bolts to the frame, and accepts the rectangular towing piece that has the towing ball on it. My question is, how do I determine exactly what I need to buy to complete the GX 470 for towing stuff?
Old 04-13-14, 07:49 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wkosmann<

I'm not to far from you in the Fairfax/Centreville area. My GX has the 6500lb tow package option. If you wanted to come by ad take a look at the underpinnings to see what yours will need ... be my guest.
Old 04-13-14, 08:46 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wkosmann
Back to my original list of intended upgrades. The topic is getting the GX 470 ready to tow stuff. I get the impression that my GX 470 is most of the way there. It already has the 7 pin power connector installed. It came with a small towing related wiring harness, with a 7 pin connector on one end and a 4 pin connector on the other end, in the glove box. Also installed is the rear bumper insert, color matched to the Nautical Blue of the rest of the bumper and SUV. Missing is the part that bolts to the frame, and accepts the rectangular towing piece that has the towing ball on it. My question is, how do I determine exactly what I need to buy to complete the GX 470 for towing stuff?
Hitch kit is available from Lexus. What are you going to tow? This might work....

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/3825.html
Old 04-14-14, 07:35 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

wkosmann<

I'm not to far from you in the Fairfax/Centreville area. My GX has the 6500lb tow package option. If you wanted to come by ad take a look at the underpinnings to see what yours will need ... be my guest.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...#ixzz2ys4ot1uj

Dear BossGS4;

Yes, I would like to inspect your GX 470 6500 towing package. I drive right through Centreville as I take Rt. 50 in to DC every Tuesday and Wednesday on my way to GWU to teach. Please PM me with directions to your home, and suggested times we could meet. I would typically be in the Centreville area around 4 PM on my way in, and around 9:30 PM on my way out.
Old 04-15-14, 06:54 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Burny:

In another thread, you asked if someone who has a 2009 GX 470, with mileage less than yours, had any sand in the radiator overflow tank. I replied to you in that thread that I was driving on the way to Iowa (not in the GX 470) but that I would check for you when I got back. My GX470 has just over 19k miles on it.

I'm now back, and I'm too lazy to find the other tread you originally posted in, so I'm answering your question in my thread. Yesterday I checked my radiator overflow tank, and there was no sand in it.

I also checked the lower driver's side corner of my radiator, and there were no signs of pink radiator fluid ever having been outside the radiator.

Last edited by wkosmann; 04-15-14 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 06:55 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

A new question:

I just received my new Mini Vic cable (from China). I currently have one electronic master's key, and one valet key. I will use the electronic master key to first, delete all the other keys that have been programmed for my car, then program my 2 new electronic master keys. My question is, to reprogram my valet key, do I select "non smart key" in the techstream software, or do I select "smart key"?

Last edited by wkosmann; 04-15-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 07:01 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Another new question:

Related to towing, my 2009 GX 470 has the towing (prep) package installed. Yesterday I checked and it has the transmission oil cooler installed, in front of the radiator. I also checked the small relay boxes in the engine compartment, next to the large fuse box. One of them has the "tow rear light" relay installed. In fact, both relays are installed in that 2 relay box. The other small relay box has one of two relays installed. The "DIM" relay is missing. Do I need the "DIM" relay installed for towing?
Old 04-15-14, 07:13 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wkosmann
Another new question:

Related to towing, my 2009 GX 470 has the towing (prep) package installed. Yesterday I checked and it has the transmission oil cooler installed, in front of the radiator. I also checked the small relay boxes in the engine compartment, next to the large fuse box. One of them has the "tow rear light" relay installed. In fact, both relays are installed in that 2 relay box. The other small relay box has one of two relays installed. The "DIM" relay is missing. Do I need the "DIM" relay installed for towing?
Recently, I was trying to find out what the "DIM" relay was for. Couldn't find it on any of the electrical diagrams. I don't think it is used for anything on the GX. I also have the towing package and the "DIM" relay socket is empty.
Old 04-17-14, 05:57 AM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

I just received my new Mini Vic cable (from China). I currently have one electronic master's key, and one valet key. I will use the electronic master key to first, delete all the other keys that have been programmed for my car, then program my 2 new electronic master keys. My question is, to reprogram my valet key, do I select "non smart key" in the techstream software, or do I select "smart key"?
Anybody have any insight into this?
Old 04-17-14, 07:45 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

smart key sir
Old 04-17-14, 10:52 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Recently, I was trying to find out what the "DIM" relay was for. Couldn't find it on any of the electrical diagrams. I don't think it is used for anything on the GX. I also have the towing package and the "DIM" relay socket is empty.
I have a 2004 gx470 also had the tow connector the trans cooler but no tow hitch. I also had 2 relays in the one small rectangular box. The other box had one relay in and was missing the DIM relay. The correct part number for my relay was 909877022025 sewel lexus cost was $ 54.50
Once I put in that relay the electrical connector for the tow hitch was activated and works perfect.

Last edited by mrblister; 04-17-14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-17-14, 04:15 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have a 2004 gx470 also had the tow connector the trans cooler but no tow hitch. I also had 2 relays in the one small rectangular box. The other box had one relay in and was missing the DIM relay. The correct part number for my relay was 909877022025 sewel lexus cost was $ 54.50
Once I put in that relay the electrical connector for the two hitch was activated and works perfect.
I stand corrected. Thanks for posting!
$ 54.50 !!!! Must be a VERY special relay! That's crazy.

Last edited by 470reasons; 04-19-14 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-18-14, 06:13 PM
wkosmann
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. Soon on my major price decrease train is gonna be finding that DIM relay for a whole lot less than $54.50

I think that all I need to fully enable towing on my GX 470 is a hitch, and the DIM relay. I will probably add the 7 connector to 4 connector adapter accessory as well. Next week, I am going to take my SUV to the local Lexus dealer, and have them look at it, and tell me what I need. I will also get a price quote from them to have the work done there.
Old 04-19-14, 06:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Install hitch

The 7 connector to 4 connector should cost you maybe 6.00 to 8.00 The retail on the relay was around $ 75.00 sewell with CL discount reduces it to $54.00 You might try etrailer.com see if they have relay. I know they have the adapter 7 to 4.

When you go to the dealer I will bet you they quote you 300.00 or more on the install they have it in there book for three hours regardless if it takes the mechanic 1 hour. I know I asked my dealer and he wanted $ 350.00. I just bought a brand new draw tite trailer hitch for 120.00 shipped and I did the install. It was quite easy [ See video link ]

The relay I bought from sewell

Quick Reply: New 2009 GX470 Owner