GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Injection Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 06:50 AM
spetter01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Injection Pump Issue

I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 with 86k miles, that was diagnosed with an air pump failure about a month ago. I was in shock to get a repair order cost of $4100. Knowing I was heading out of town, I limped my GX home and started to research the issues and what was being done to assist Lexus owners with the inherent problem.
After many hours of bouncing around from forum to forum and manufacturer bulletins, I came across a Webpage that mentioned Toyota Tundra 4.7 motor emissions warranty extensions to 10yr/150k! Turns out the 4.7ltr Tundra motor is the same motor used in the 2005 model GX's. It's a second generation motor with Intelligent VVT (VVT-i). I looked for any Lexus Bulletins for the same issue and or any warranty extensions.
As I work in the automotive industry and ran several hi-line dealerships, I started networking with my colleagues who ran Lexus dealerships and toyota dealerships to see if they could reach a regional service rep. Turns out that Toyota and Lexus do not communicate at all between eac other although they share the same technologies. It was confirmed by the Toyota rep that they did extend the emissions warranty for 2007 Tundra 4.7 owners to the 10yr/150k. The Lexus rep knew nothing about emissions issues or extended warranties on emissions. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota had to cover this expensive claim under a warranty because they sell a lot more Toyota's than they do the Lexus GX....and quite frankly Lexus owners should be able to afford it!!

After I gathered the pile of information I contacted Lexus North America in California. Upon several minutes of conversation with a customer service agent, My concerns were sent to the chief service manager. I referenced my research and questioned why Lexus has failed to cover (by warranty) due to the inherent problems with the motors emissions as they correlated with the 4.7 VVT-i. I was informed at the end of the conversation that he would look into it and pass it up for review.

3 days later, I received a call from the initial customer service rep, who made my day!!! She said they had already contacted my Lexus service manager and that they would cover the parts. Not to mention, the original labor quote was about $1200, and had been reduced to $671.00! I am greatly appreciative and then understood why I bought a Lexus! They stand behind their product! I just wish I didn't have to do all the necessary research and that Lexus would communicate more with Toyota in order to stay on top of repetitive issues between shared technologies.
Old 03-01-14, 06:58 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spetter01
I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 with 86k miles, that was diagnosed with an air pump failure about a month ago. I was in shock to get a repair order cost of $4100. Knowing I was heading out of town, I limped my GX home and started to research the issues and what was being done to assist Lexus owners with the inherent problem.
After many hours of bouncing around from forum to forum and manufacturer bulletins, I came across a Webpage that mentioned Toyota Tundra 4.7 motor emissions warranty extensions to 10yr/150k! Turns out the 4.7ltr Tundra motor is the same motor used in the 2005 model GX's. It's a second generation motor with Intelligent VVT (VVT-i). I looked for any Lexus Bulletins for the same issue and or any warranty extensions.
As I work in the automotive industry and ran several hi-line dealerships, I started networking with my colleagues who ran Lexus dealerships and toyota dealerships to see if they could reach a regional service rep. Turns out that Toyota and Lexus do not communicate at all between eac other although they share the same technologies. It was confirmed by the Toyota rep that they did extend the emissions warranty for 2007 Tundra 4.7 owners to the 10yr/150k. The Lexus rep knew nothing about emissions issues or extended warranties on emissions. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota had to cover this expensive claim under a warranty because they sell a lot more Toyota's than they do the Lexus GX....and quite frankly Lexus owners should be able to afford it!!

After I gathered the pile of information I contacted Lexus North America in California. Upon several minutes of conversation with a customer service agent, My concerns were sent to the chief service manager. I referenced my research and questioned why Lexus has failed to cover (by warranty) due to the inherent problems with the motors emissions as they correlated with the 4.7 VVT-i. I was informed at the end of the conversation that he would look into it and pass it up for review.

3 days later, I received a call from the initial customer service rep, who made my day!!! She said they had already contacted my Lexus service manager and that they would cover the parts. Not to mention, the original labor quote was about $1200, and had been reduced to $671.00! I am greatly appreciative and then understood why I bought a Lexus! They stand behind their product! I just wish I didn't have to do all the necessary research and that Lexus would communicate more with Toyota in order to stay on top of repetitive issues between shared technologies.
Not sure why you posted this in this thread would be better suited in a suspension thread.
Old 03-01-14, 08:04 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

yes, a suspension thread for future issues we have down the road and can search on it. Will never find it buried in here.
Old 03-01-14, 08:28 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

spetter01 is talking about the air injection pump under the intake manifold.
Old 03-03-14, 09:21 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

spetter01, thanks for posting this, it is good that you were able to get Lexus to cover this. Hopefully when this happens to the rest of us, and it is only a matter of time, we will be able to get lexus to cover ours as well.

Kinda stupid they put a failure prone part under the intake manifold!

Is this the customer service number you called?

The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
Lexus is committed to providing the highest level of customer satisfaction. We look forward to assisting you.

Phone: 1-800-255-3987
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., PT
Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., PT
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Address:
P.O. Box 2991 - Mail Drop L202
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
Additional Lexus Support
Old 01-09-15, 01:54 PM
sue1900
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for posting. I have the same problem with my 2005 GX470, bad air injection pump.It's about a $2000 repair. I just called Lexus customer service at 1-800-25LEXUS. Hopefully, I'll have the same resolution as you did.
Old 01-09-15, 02:25 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

OP stated warranty extended to 10years then said to include 2007. Shouldnt this apply to 05 and 06 too?
Old 01-20-15, 12:39 PM
sue1900
Driver School Candidate

Lexus customer service go back to me. They will cover $500 of the total cost to replace the air injection pump on my 2005 GX470. They stated that even though Toyota chose to extend the warranty for their Toyota Tundra, which uses the same part, it's a different division from Lexus. They are not obligated to do anything for me but as a courtesy will cover $500. I guess $500 is better than nothing.