GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension solutions (?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 03:37 PM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension solutions (?)

So I think I've got this figured out but just wanted to run it by some of the experts here...

I have an '07 with approximately 90,000 miles (150,000kms) and I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I will be going off road with it (not quite Rubicon Trail but enough for me to want to have more capability than less). As part of that I want a better on-road performance as well - firmer, tighter, better in corners, less body roll etc. I have opted to not do the rear coil replacement at metal tech http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...-tech-4x4.html and don't want expen$ive OEM parts.

So, I can buy a set of Bilstein 5100's for all four corners (stock height). This will not affect the ride height/air bags etc but will render the sport/comfort function useless (of which there may be a fuse I need to pull). They are superior to OEM and substantially cheaper while providing a ride as firm as the 'sport setting'. I can use 2007 4Runner Limited shocks on my GX470. And our friends at Shockwarehouse show it as ( front part # 24-186711 and rear part # 33-187174) for a total of $382.52. They will not cause any 'issues' and may be better value that Arnott's, which are twice as much (but still much cheaper than OEM). I am choosing the 5100s as I may want to lift the vehicle at some point in the future and the 4600 shocks don't allow you to do that.

In terms of coils (as I want a firmer/most composed ride) the 2007 FJ Cruiser OEM Coils would do that for me and fit without issue. A set of 4 at Autoparts warehouse would cost $180.22.

As well RCsGX has suggested that in terms of improving body lean that Energy Suspension has poly sway bar bushings (Front 8.5135G and Rear 8.5136R) would help with that as no anti-sway bar is available.

Did I miss anything/parts? I appreciate your insights and expertise.

Thanks
Old 02-28-14, 07:58 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you aware that the 5100s have adjustability in the front? You can raise the front by moving the circlip between 4? settings which raises the spring perch. you could achieve a subtle lift w/these in front & some tweaking of the height sensors in the rear. Just FWIW.
Old 03-01-14, 05:40 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Although many have talked about it, I don't believe anyone has used FJ coils. Several 4Runner guys have used them in the rear and they got a slight lift. Since our GX is taller than the 4Runner it will be slightly heavier in the rear but if it's enough to make it sit level is anyones guess. Same goes for the 4Runner springs, nobody knows how it will sit. By the time you add people, stuff, trailer etc. you could be nose high using those springs so that's why most go w/ a lift in the rear using OME springs since they have a higher spring rating than OEM springs.

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Are you aware that the 5100s have adjustability in the front? You can raise the front by moving the circlip between 4? settings which raises the spring perch. you could achieve a subtle lift w/these in front & some tweaking of the height sensors in the rear. Just FWIW.
Originally Posted by Hill60
I am choosing the 5100s as I may want to lift the vehicle at some point in the future and the 4600 shocks don't allow you to do that.
Old 03-02-14, 09:15 AM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RCsGX and Stile_s. Sounds like Old Man Emu springs could be the way to go, hopefully I can find something that's an no more than an inch lift. I assume I would use an OME coil spring that would fit a 4th Generation 4runner, limited.
Old 03-02-14, 10:02 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Hill60, I'm unclear: do you want to do the rear coil conversion @ this point or no?

If you don't want to do the rear coils right now and are most interested in a lift, then the 5100s will allow you to lift the front, and you can compensate w/the rear air bags to level it out.

If you're more interested in stiffer springs for better control, then disregard. IMO I'd go with a matched F&R set which would obviously necessitate a rear airbag conversion. Again, the 5100s will allow you to fiddle with front height to level things out.

Good luck
Old 03-03-14, 08:11 AM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

Hi, glad to see I'm the only one who's not confused

My ideal would be to have a slight lift (< 1 inch) with better performing shock & springs w/ better on-road and off-road capability, a firmer, more controlled ride than OEM. However, given my vehicle has 90,000+ miles, I'm not sure how good OEM shocks/springs were, particularly off-road. I was thinking I might be able to get this with replacing F&R shocks w/ Bilstein 5100's and changing the coil springs in F&R (sounds Old Man Emu coil springs might work). I thought I might be able to get away without the rear coil spring conversion kit from Metaltech. I had an OME setup on a previous Tacoma and it was great, just don't want that much lift.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-03-14, 08:56 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Just a couple more comments...
- Are you having problems w/your rear airbags?
- If you want coils in the rear, then I'd highly, highly recommend the metaltech kit to mount them. It's super cheap insurance.
- Just IMHO, if you're going coils in the rear (as well as front, I'd be safe and go aftermarket w/a coil designed for at least a small lift. Why? Nobody knows the rear ride height of an FJ cruiser rear coil mounted in a GX. You could be low enough to spend a bunch of time on the bump-stops, which would suck. The rear airbags get to cheat and ride fairly low because they can control rear ride height independent of rear load.
- And, if you go coils in the rear, I'd recommend going w/the 5100s F&R because the fronts have height adjustability and will allow you to fine tune the front height to match the rears. Again, nobody's done this (that we know of) w/the GX and you could end up with a funky front-rear height imbalance w/springs engineered for the 4runner. *probably not*, given the weights are so similar, but nobody really knows.
- Whatever you do, keep us posted. More data is goodness here.
Old 03-03-14, 09:27 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

If you want a small lift go w/ 5100s all around and go w/ OME 895E springs in the rear. They have the same spring rating as the 895 but they're are not as tall.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ngs-gx470.html
Old 03-03-14, 07:45 PM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

I'm currently not having any air bag issues. I like the idea of 4 Bilstien 5100s and the OME895e springs for the rear.

Any thoughts on front springs to accompany the 5100s? I can see some wisdom in getting both shocks and springs from OME as a kit (May work better together, but probably cost more). And I don't mind paying for some 'tougher' suspension when I forget I'm not in the Baja going down a goat path of a road.

This will take a while to come together but I will report back for sure.

Thanks

Hill60
Old 03-03-14, 09:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I'm currently not having any air bag issues. I like the idea of 4 Bilstien 5100s and the OME895e springs for the rear.

Any thoughts on front springs to accompany the 5100s? I can see some wisdom in getting both shocks and springs from OME as a kit (May work better together, but probably cost more). And I don't mind paying for some 'tougher' suspension when I forget I'm not in the Baja going down a goat path of a road.

This will take a while to come together but I will report back for sure.

Thanks

Hill60
Unless you're bottoming out in the front I don't think you need new springs. Springs do sag overtime but there's guys running Tundras w/ over 200K miles on stock springs w/ 5100s. Most do the spring swap because they're adding bumpers and winches, which the stock springs can't handle, so they use taller aftermarket springs w/ a higher spring rating.
Old 03-04-14, 11:30 AM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

I am always happy to hear a comment that could save me $ Following a similar logic I may be able to keep the current rear coils as well as I don't think this vehicle has seen much gravel/off-road. Or if I don't want an inch and a half lift w FJ cruiser OME, just buy some OEM, if needed.
Old 03-04-14, 06:33 PM
wademracer
Driver School Candidate

I'll chime in with my results. I went with the old man emu 895e springs and this resulted in a lift of 1 inch. I used bilstein 5100 shocks with the front on 2nd notch from the bottom. This resulted in a 1 inch lift on the front. This was exactly what I wanted as I wanted to keep some rake to it since I tow my boat with my GX. I have had this setup sice last August and love the ride and handling.
Old 03-05-14, 09:00 AM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Wademracer, good to hear. Do I take it you used the OME 895e on the rear, but either didn't change the front ones or used something else?
Old 03-05-14, 09:44 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks Wademracer, good to hear. Do I take it you used the OME 895e on the rear, but either didn't change the front ones or used something else?
He's the same member who's ih8mud link I posted in #8 above...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ngs-gx470.html
Old 03-05-14, 09:53 PM
Hill60
Driver School Candidate

Cheers RCsGX. Any more word on going over to the 'dark' side? (GM) Hope that it would be an addition to the fleet as I would hate to see you leave this forum.

Quick Reply: Suspension solutions (?)