GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Assist in purchase of GX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 11:45 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks AMC for the detailed feedback. I understand better now why the dealer informed me on getting a 2007 or newer due to the Navigation System alone. Also sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your GX.

I realize with any real SUV, weight is an issue and over the years and miles, the suspension is often needed to be addressed. I understand cost is different per car but in the end it still needs to be addressed after awhile. It does stink that the bags cost much to replace. Wrenching is not an issue for me, but as I am getting older, I find myself more reluctant to work on the concrete. Maybe I am spoiled by having a motorcycle lift in my garage.

I don't think I will find many newer vehicles as reliable as my '98 4Runner. I have often thought of finding an '01-'02 4Runner with less miles but that is a hard task to do. Along with the fact I know long term I want something nicer than the old 4Runner. Maybe its an age thing as I get older, I mean wiser.

For the last 20 years I have had either a truck or SUV. If there was a car in the family it was the significant other. Sometimes I think of buying a 4 door sedan, like the GS 460. Yet, I don't know if I can really do that and adjust to full time being in a car. Maybe some people are just meant to own a body on frame vehicle. LOL
Old 02-28-14, 01:03 PM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will you be using the vehicle for? That might determine what type of options are important to you.

I purchased my 2006 with 60k miles last year for the purpose of expedition/camping. I specifically sought after KDSS because of the claim it provides more wheel articulation during off-roading.

After my purchase, the first thing I did was replace the P-tires with LT and replaced the shocks with coil-over system. The car is raised about 2".

My personal thoughts and suggestions....

1) KDSS is not as important as I initially thought. If you find a great model without one, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it. If it ever goes out on mine, I plan to rip it out and just replace it with regular sway bars.

2) If you want to use the NAV, seek out a 2007 model. 2006 Nav is junk. I don't mind because I use my iPad for off-road GPS. What I really wanted was a non-Nav unit since there are so many great aftermarket products. But you can always purchase a separate NAV unit.

3) Alternators on our cars have tendency to fail. Mine failed about a month after the purchase. I replaced it myself for $250 and 3 hours of labor. The dealer will charge you close to $750.

4) I wouldn't worry about the engine. The V8 is know to be a bulletproof engine.

5) When I replaced the shocks, one of the front ones had a leak. I don't think these shocks last very long. I didn't mind since I was replacing them with aftermarket products. The rear ones cost way too much to replace due the complex ride comfort setting. If that is important to you, you can just replace the shocks with manual setting. I never found myself fiddling around with the comfort setting anyways.

6) The rear airbags are nice because it levels the truck when you load the back. However, it's not as nice as a Range Rover system because the ride height adjustment is only for loading and unloading. If the they go out, I will just replace them with springs. Since I changed my ride height, I will probably go with ARB's OME springs.

Our trucks are heavy. Be ready for a shock on MPG. After raising mine and replacing the tires, I typically get 11-12 in city and 14-15 on highways.

Pick a color you want in a good condition and you will be happy. Good luck hunting!
Old 02-28-14, 02:06 PM
greekguy66
Driver

I'm no mud runner on four wheels. I do the camping and light off road driving into unpaved parking lots, fire trails, and dirt roads to get to camp grounds. I also pack gear and a wheel chair for a limited edition 12 year old boy everywhere. A truck is not feesible for not being to keep dry a wheel chair unless I put a cover on a bed of a truck and I don't like covers on truck beds. Occasionally I tow a small trailer. So an SUV is a definite need in my life.

As long as I don't have to pull an engine or swap a transmission out in the driveway (or garage) I consider most other tasks are just time consuming for me. I enjoy have a wrench in my hand and getting some tool time in.

A few days ago I decided to just find a good GX470 regardless of KDSS. If it comes with it, great. If not, so be it. For me it won't be a deal breaker. Figuring on finding a good unit with lower miles even if I have to pay a little more so I can enjoy it for at least a year before having to start swapping parts out.
Old 02-28-14, 02:11 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Man reading all these problems makes my stomach hurt. Hope mine ain't the jalopy you guys got.
Old 02-28-14, 02:21 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Well Burny I think it all depends if the vehicle rolls off the assembly line around 5pm on a Friday. LOL

Overall I have always felt Toyota cars have a higher percentage overall for reliability than other cars manufacturers. Not to say Toyota cars don't or can't have their issues at times. We also have a 2004 Scion xB that we bought brand new with less than a mile on it. The body is in great condition and runs great other than eating a little oil now after 260K miles on the original engine. Its the little car that can.
Old 03-12-14, 09:20 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2007 Sports Package GX back in September. I specifically bought this one because it has the KDSS and I do quite a bit of off-roading, mostly in Moab, Utah. It's an amazing system for that type of driving. The truck was in great shape with about 89k miles on it when I bought it. The Dealership did the timing belt, water pump, replaced all filters AND put a new set of tires on it before I bought it for $24.5k. So far, zero issues except replacing the windshield, which is common where I live in Colorado. Lots of small rocks on the road that get kicked up. That ran me about $400 for aftermarket glass. An OEM windshield would have been at least twice that and since I am anticipating that I will probably go through at least a couple more while I own this GX, it didn't seem worth the extra money. I have a sweet set of Cooper A/T Pluses on it, which have been great both on and off road. I will definitely be buying another set when these run down. My GX is silver with every option except LexusLink and the Rear Entertainment Package (the latter I didn't want anyway). It's been a dream truck so far, no complaints. I think the pre-2010 470's are really sharp looking trucks and I am looking forward to owning mine for years to come. It is perfect for me and my family both around town and far into the backcountry. Lexus=luxury, GX=reliability, reliability, performance. (I had a third gen 4Runner Limited before this and the GX is far superior in every way, especially off-road).
Old 03-17-14, 09:44 AM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GX470Fan, Not to hijack this thread but since you take yours off-roading, I wanted to ask you if you have installed rock sliders. Looks like I can use 4-runner bolt on sliders on the passenger side but the driver side with KDSS system is a challenge. I was planning to visit several fabrication shops to get a quote on custom sliders but wanted to see if you had any luck on your end. Thanks.