GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

replacement keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 11:15 PM
weyless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement keys

Hello. I recently lost my only set of keys to my 06 GX470 and now all I have is the valet key. Can i get a new buttoned key made through lexus dealership without the master key? How much is this typically and also is there a less expensive way to get new key made. any help would be great. thanks.
Old 02-09-14, 05:22 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You need a key with a chip in it to make a duplicate without reflashing the ECU. Do you have the little wallet key with the chip? Mine was in the leather owners manual pouch in the glove box. That will work.
Old 02-14-14, 05:59 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Related issue here. We have only one set of keys to my '03. I'd like to have a second set made now that we seem to have misplaced the valet key. Any recommendations on how to go about that, approx price, etc? I know that this isn't going to be cheap, which is why I've been procrastinating doing it.
Old 02-14-14, 06:35 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ebradford
Related issue here. We have only one set of keys to my '03. I'd like to have a second set made now that we seem to have misplaced the valet key. Any recommendations on how to go about that, approx price, etc? I know that this isn't going to be cheap, which is why I've been procrastinating doing it.
Purchase & have your key cut by these guys:
Originally Posted by MyLparts
MyLparts.com
$97.34 for that fob
Genuine Lexus part
We can cut at no extra charge
Shipping would be just $5
Use CL5 to get that price
Thanks

Then take the key somewhere to get it programmed or buy a techstream and program it yourself.
Originally Posted by 470reasons
New key arrived today (2 day delivery again). It is OEM and it was cut perfectly. I didn't mess with programming. Took it to ACE Hardware and had them do the programming. Works Great!
Programming was $79.11 with the tax. A little steep, but my closest Lexus dealer is 40 miles away. Figuring in gas, time and tolls, not tooo bad a deal. Total cost was $187.27
Techstream:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...echstream.html
Old 02-14-14, 10:48 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

I just got my key in the mail from those guys. I hope to program it when I get home tonight or tomorrow sometime. It is a quality Lexus key.
Old 02-14-14, 11:14 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I just got my key in the mail from those guys. I hope to program it when I get home tonight or tomorrow sometime. It is a quality Lexus key.
Ace charged 24.99 to program the lock/window/ functions. I watched them do that. It looked like the same procedure described somewhere in this forum. (Open-closing door-lock-unlock-insert key etc.) He did it in one try. He used a laptop with an interface box to program ignition immobilizer. ($49.99). Took less than 10 minutes to do all.
I've got a Techstream but no compatible computer to use the software!
I was under the impression that ALL the key functions could be programed via the computer. Maybe the dealer can do it that way.
Old 02-14-14, 02:33 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

max key limit reached. What does it cost to reflash an ECU? Are there any concerns in doing this?
Old 02-14-14, 06:01 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Confused,

I used techstream without flashing the ECU, I erased all of the keys except the one in the ignition and programmed other 2 keys. Total of 3 keys.

I did this, in case previous owner had a key.

I did this few times, there is a an option for it without flashing ECU.

I used Techstream with Windows 7 and 64bit machine and posted instructions on this board. You dont need XP and 32 bit.

max key limit reached. What does it cost to reflash an ECU? Are there any concerns in doing this?
Old 02-14-14, 07:32 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Techstream told me there were no more keys available! All were used. When I bought the GX, no master was available so they had one made. I do not know how many were made with the original owner. Somewher along the way 5 keys were burned. I just need to be darn careful with the one master I have, I also have the wallet key and chip and valet key.Wife will have to use my key and won't have her own.
Old 02-14-14, 07:34 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

GXman, did you see on there where it told you how many keys you had remaining to be programmed? Mine was 0
Old 02-14-14, 08:20 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

When I first connected with Techstream it said I have 4 keys in the system or 1 left. something along those line.
However, I only had 1 key on hand.
I bought 2 keys and erased and programmed to open the doors and START.

Please see this video and pay attention at 2:46 time

GXman, did you see on there where it told you how many keys you had remaining to be programmed? Mine was 0
Old 02-15-14, 04:22 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Thanks GX, I should have looked for some tutorials before I tried to fly by seat of my pants. So this process will not harm the key in the ignition and the wallet key and valet key will be fine also? It just erases all the other smart keys in the system?
Old 02-15-14, 06:15 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

It will erase ALL keys except the one in ignition. It will not harm the key in ignition.

You have to reprogram wallet key and other keys.

When you program wallet keys make sure the chip part is connected to the metal ring around the keyhole AND within specified time, you have to be quick.

Just remember to be fast when programming key and have them in front of you. You will get it. I kept getting timed out first few times.

The first time I did this I was scared also, and when I keep getting timed out when programming, I was getting worried, and to top all of this, wallet key (2 parts chip and key) chip part has to be touching the ring where the key goes AND you have to use the wallet key to turn the ignition when programming. the trick is to once hand touches the key cylinder ring with the chip and another hand turning the key cylinder hole with the wallet key to program. ALL of this while techstream counter timer is running, you will figure it out.

TIP, shave few seconds off the timer and perform the step sooner than timer allows,

Last edited by gxman1; 02-15-14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-18-14, 07:41 PM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread but my key just broke off in the ignition. I was able to get it out. The metal key broke off the plastic fob. I still have it all. Do I need to get everything replaced,or can I get a new key only have it cut and put the old guts back in it? Let me know if anybody's got some advice. Thanks
Old 02-18-14, 07:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelD86
Sorry to hijack the thread but my key just broke off in the ignition. I was able to get it out. The metal key broke off the plastic fob. I still have it all. Do I need to get everything replaced,or can I get a new key only have it cut and put the old guts back in it? Let me know if anybody's got some advice. Thanks
Yes you can buy a new shell from sewel lexus then get the key cut and swap your guts out from the old key into the new key I just had to do the same thing.

I used another vendor other then sewel it was easier to do and i think it was less money I emailed the following guy gave him my key code you can get your lexus dealer to give it to you or you can just supply the VIN to the vendor . My truck is a 2004 gx you can email the vendor and see if its the same shell the cost shipped was $ 60.00 new shell cut and shipped and is OEM lexus part

Hayden <soarer1975@yahoo.com

Tell him Buddy Bear recommended you to him

Quick Reply: replacement keys