GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Power Steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 02:34 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Power Steering fluid?

The more I read threads on here the more confused I get. Do you use PS fluid or ATF in the GX for Power steering? I use T-IV when I flush my GS300 and had planned to use it in the GX, but there are a lot of conflicting posts concerning what to use. I read one post where a Lexus tech stated it comes from the factory with PS Fluid in it. Any opinions appreciated.
Old 02-07-14, 03:44 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2004 GX takes Dextron II or III ATF fluid for the PS. ( Per owner's manual)
Newer models may be different.
Old 02-07-14, 03:57 PM
ERG80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Ive read is that Toyota's come from the factory with power steering fluid and they recommend atf as a fill.
ATF is fully compatible with the power steering system and its easier to find when its time to flush.

A quote from a very knowledgeable member over on IH8MUD:
Tools R Us;5946520The "ATF "Label" is molded into the cap on mine, I doubt it's going to fall off! ATF is the Toyota recommended refill fluid, but the 80 along with most of it's era and older Toyotas come from the factory with hydraulic oil in it.

ATF is hydraulic oil with additives, most to deal with the clutches in the trany, these additives would be considered contaminates in a pure hydraulic system, which a power steering system is. My take is that Toyota specs ATF for refills for convenience reasons, it's readily available at all shops and will work if not pushed hard.

A lot of simple hydraulic systems allow for ATF as a fill fluid, more precision, higher pressure systems warn against it due to cavitation and varnishing problems. The groaning, whining sound from the pump is from cavitation, tiny bubbles form on the vacuum side of the pump vanes and implode on the pressure side. This implosion is very small, but has high heat and burns a tiny amount of fluid, converting it to varnish, it can pit the pump vanes and cylinder.

Ether fluid will work, but hydraulic oil is a higher performance fluid for this application, it takes more temp, pressure before it cavitates.
"

I have a five speed manual truck so i use mobil DTE like Tools R Us. If I drove an auto I would probably use ATF to Keep the amount of different fluids to a minimum. Its more important to replace the fluid when needed than anything.

A good quality ATF is perfectly fine to use so don't worry.

Last edited by ERG80; 02-07-14 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 05:31 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

When I pull the covers off tomorrow I will see how it looks and if it is clear or cherry red or dodo brown if it is dirty
Old 02-07-14, 06:02 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The following users liked this post:
jbtvt (07-04-21)
Old 02-12-14, 03:16 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello everybody!
I just checked the PS reservoir and saw it a little bit low, like you guys stated above that can use ATF DEXRON III to fill up the reservoir so i still have the Pennzoil ATF Dexron III left in my house , just the regular not the synthetic, so is it safe to fill up the PS reservoir for my truck ?
Thanks in advance !
Old 02-12-14, 04:19 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

As long as it's Dexron II or III you're fine.
Old 02-12-14, 06:56 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

HI

Could you please tell me if this will work on my GX, the fluid is brown and looks dirty, looks like never changed. Also, if I do use this method, what is your recommendation on the fluid for a complete flush.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ing-flush.html

Thanks
Old 02-12-14, 10:04 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gxman1
HI

Could you please tell me if this will work on my GX, the fluid is brown and looks dirty, looks like never changed. Also, if I do use this method, what is your recommendation on the fluid for a complete flush.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ing-flush.html

Thanks
Yep that DIY will work just fine on our GX.

The brand of fluid is up to you. A lot like to use Mobil 1....I have a few bottles of Amsoil in my garage for when the time comes.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ATFQT-EA
Old 02-13-14, 08:58 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Thanks RC,

Since this method will be a complete flush, I read here Lexus ship the trucks with steering fluid and for top up trans fluid. Your link is for tran fluid, is it ok if i put trans fluid for complete flush?

I know amsoil is the best. If If I have to put Trans Fluid, do you know which Mobil 1 would work if choose over amsoil and what does the manual says about the quantity I need to buy?

QUOTE=RCsGX;8378144]Yep that DIY will work just fine on our GX.

The brand of fluid is up to you. A lot like to use Mobil 1....I have a few bottles of Amsoil in my garage for when the time comes.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ATFQT-EA[/QUOTE]
Old 02-13-14, 12:57 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks RC,

Since this method will be a complete flush, I read here Lexus ship the trucks with steering fluid and for top up trans fluid. Your link is for tran fluid, is it ok if i put trans fluid for complete flush?

I know amsoil is the best. If If I have to put Trans Fluid, do you know which Mobil 1 would work if choose over amsoil and what does the manual says about the quantity I need to buy?
The manual states Dexron II or III and the cap on the PS reservoir says to use Dexron fluid so you'll be fine using it for topping off or as a complete flush / refill and you'll need 2qts. to do it.

If you want to use a full synthetic use this one:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

Under the specs / approval tab you'll see letters after the II or III, those are just updated versions.
Old 02-13-14, 01:47 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Thanks,

Hope I dont get air in the system.

Originally Posted by RCsGX
The manual states Dexron II or III and the cap on the PS reservoir says to use Dexron fluid so you'll be fine using it for topping off or as a complete flush / refill and you'll need 2qts. to do it.

If you want to use a full synthetic use this one:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

Under the specs / approval tab you'll see letters after the II or III, those are just updated versions.
Old 02-13-14, 02:01 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks,

Hope I dont get air in the system.
Just make sure you keep the reservoir filled up as you're flushing the old fluid out and you should be fine.
Old 02-22-14, 03:57 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I finally got the engine covers off and got a first look at what was under there. I had a lot of dusting to do to get it like I like it. PS fluid was nasty so will get after that tomorrow along with new brake pads all the way around. I changed oil today and filter. Pretty easy job. Did break off one of the 10mm bolts on the skid plate. Drilled it out and replaced all the bolts with new ones along with anti-seize on each one. Also replaced cabin filter that was just disgusting. No doubt it was the factory one. Air filter was brand new. Only down the road item I want to do is bleed my brake fluid. It looks good right now, but will do it in the fall.
Old 02-22-14, 04:45 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I finally got the engine covers off and got a first look at what was under there. I had a lot of dusting to do to get it like I like it. PS fluid was nasty so will get after that tomorrow along with new brake pads all the way around. I changed oil today and filter. Pretty easy job. Did break off one of the 10mm bolts on the skid plate. Drilled it out and replaced all the bolts with new ones along with anti-seize on each one. Also replaced cabin filter that was just disgusting. No doubt it was the factory one. Air filter was brand new. Only down the road item I want to do is bleed my brake fluid. It looks good right now, but will do it in the fall.

I often wonder if those engine covers should just be left off - maybe make just the center one a keeper. hmm.

Apparently, bleeding the brakes is a breeze with the Techstream software. Have you looked into that?

Quick Reply: Power Steering fluid?