GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Power Steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 05:12 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Burny,

Worked! All air out no bubbles and/or foam.

Originally Posted by burny
First, turn ignition to on but dont start. turn steering wheel all way to left and hold 3 seconds, then do same for right. Repeat this 5 times and see if that helps. If not, then do below procedure.

Let everything cool down and do the procedure again. have about 3 quarts of fluid on hand. Have your wife or friend turn the wheel left and hold then right and hold while you pour it in, run enough through there so you go through at least 2 more quarts, then top it off to appropriate level. That should get the air out of there.
Old 04-20-14, 07:03 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
Thanks Burny,

Worked! All air out no bubbles and/or foam.
For future reference, did you have to do both procedures or just the first?
Old 04-21-14, 04:41 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

should have just been the first.
Old 04-21-14, 09:11 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
Screwed up a simple procedure

Here is what I did, I thought my reservoir was full, however it wasn't. Since there is a buildup, it appeared to be full, due to inside being dirty.

I drained it with 2 quarts, and saw the old fluid come out and stopped eventually when cherry color fluid start dripping from the tube.

When I started the engine I saw foaming, lots of it. Looks like I need to bleed it, I have no idea how to bleed it.... Please help.

Would this work? Ignition on position (not start), off ground, turn wheel around 20 times L to R, and add fluid to the line?
This is why I think most DIY'ers are better just draining a bit out the reservoir with a syringe/baster and topping it off a few times than trying to flush.

Hopefully, it didn't do much damage as it was quickly spotted, but a pump running dry will fry it and possibly ruin the rack far more quickly than whatever you gain by getting out all the old fluid.
Old 04-22-14, 07:58 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 470reasons
For future reference, did you have to do both procedures or just the first?
1. I jacked the car up, turn the key to free the steering (NOT START), open the reservoir, and slowly turn the steering L to R lock to lock 20 times. made sure the fluid was at full mark.

2. Saw few minor bubble and than start the car for 1 second, and off immediately.

3. Went back to the reservoir and check the level, it was OK, and no bubble and no foam.

4. started the car and let it run, while I checked the reservoir again, no problem, no foam no bubble and the fluid level was good. I let it run for few minutes turned the steering and checked again for fluid level and bubbles.

All was perfect!
Old 04-22-14, 08:03 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
This is why I think most DIY'ers are better just draining a bit out the reservoir with a syringe/baster and topping it off a few times than trying to flush.

Hopefully, it didn't do much damage as it was quickly spotted, but a pump running dry will fry it and possibly ruin the rack far more quickly than whatever you gain by getting out all the old fluid.
True, pump running dry will damage it, I never started the car, I had it on a jack, I noticed while the wheels were turning by hand, sucking air noise and right away I added the Fluid. It didn't damage anything, because I added immediately and the car was not running.

The whole thing threw me off was the dirty reservoir tank buildup showing full.

Also, if it was damaged or I still had air in the system, it would stutter when turning the wheel.