GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Scangauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 09:35 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scangauge Install

I know yall are probably sick of me by now...but I just completed another project.

I had a Scanguage II that I bought several years back and I thought I lost it but found in the bottom of one of my tool chest drawers so I thought I'd mount it in the GX. There's a company, Blendmount, that sells a mount for it to mount to your rear view mirror. I bought the Blendmount for my Tundra but there's not enough room from the top of the auto dimming mirror to the headliner (GX is the same way) so you'd have to mount it underneath the mirror. I don't want anything hanging down from the mirror so I made a bracket out of some Kydex I had left over from an RC buggy project.

Here's the bracket

You can use 3M dual lock but I chose to use a couple of screws to make it more secure

Little heat from the heat gun and bend to whatever angle you want

Here's how to make it.....

Since you'll be removing the "A" pillar (side curtain airbag is behind it) and to be on the safe side, remove the negative terminal from your battery and wait 1 min. While you're waiting do step 1 & 2.

1.) Remove the drivers side door sill trim

2.) Un-clip the drivers side kick panel

3.) Remove the drivers side "A" pillar grab handles, then remove the "A" pillar trim.

4.) Mount the Scanguage bracket behind the headliner, then push it all the way.

5.) Run the Scanguage cord down the "A" pillar and behind the dash

6.) Run the Scangauge cord behind the felt trim and behind the drivers side kick panel

7.) Plug the Scangauge into the OBDII port

8.) Check the Scangauge to make sure it's powered on

9.) Install the trim back and you're done.
**Before installing the "A" pillar trim make sure the slack from the cord is tucked behind the trim

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-31-14 at 12:37 PM. Reason: pic added...
Old 01-31-14, 12:15 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Very cool toy . I am on line looking but I will want to do an easier install . Maybe on top of steering column so I can see it better. If its small enough.

Thanks
Old 01-31-14, 12:22 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
Very cool toy . I am on line looking but I will want to do an easier install . Maybe on top of steering column so I can see it better. If its small enough.

Thanks
They now sell a smaller Scangauge E so if the Scangauge II is too wide check that out...but I've seen plenty of people installing the II on top of steering columns.
Old 01-31-14, 12:46 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I know yall are probably sick of me by now...but I just completed another project.
Damn right we're sick or you! The posts NEVER stop!

Why don't you buy a Range Rover? Go bother those RR forums for awhile?
Lord knows, those folks need tips on how to keep a Range Rover running between flatbed trips to the dealership.

But, as long as you're here - How many functions do you get on the Scangauge when it's installed in a GX470? Could you list them?
Nice installation! BTW.
Old 01-31-14, 02:38 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Damn right we're sick or you! The posts NEVER stop!

Why don't you buy a Range Rover? Go bother those RR forums for awhile?
Lord knows, those folks need tips on how to keep a Range Rover running between flatbed trips to the dealership.

But, as long as you're here - How many functions do you get on the Scangauge when it's installed in a GX470? Could you list them?
Nice installation! BTW.

Over on tthe 4th gen 4Runner forums, they're super active. There's often new posts daily on page 1 and 2. On here we're lucky to get 5-10 new posts weekly let alone daily. If it weren't for the suspension thread(s), this GX forum would be .

I think for the most part GX owners are happy with their stock ride and don't want to mess with it. I'm the opposite...you can give me a stock Bentley, Ferrari etc., even still under warranty, and I'll always find something to do with it...I like to make my vehicles mine. But don't worry there are no more projects in the works for me any time soon.

But to learn more about the Scangauge, click on the following link:
http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/
-Scroll down about half way and click on the "Scan Tool", "Digital Gauges", "Trip Computers", "Performance Monitor". It'll list in detail all of the different commands.

Click this link to view the custom X-gauges:
http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...ansf-vehicles/

Click this link for Toyota specific X-gauges:
http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...yota-specific/

-*On the newer firmware versions, 4.0+, they finally added a transmission temp x-gauge for Toyotas. I need to send mine in to get re-flashed, I'm still on ver. 3.
Old 01-31-14, 02:58 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

That turned out really nice! Does it read tranny temp? I'm on the fence about getting an iphone app as there is now (finally!!!) an app with customizable PID's, and it will work with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter but you need to jailbreak your phone, it's a lot more complicated than this unit, and it ties up your phone, I can't decice which is the way to go. I'll have to check out the Scanguage E, I wasn't aware there was a new version.

There's some info on the iphone app in this thread, if anyone wants more info:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...rans-temp.html

And I'd like to add, I appreciate the activity you generate in this forum, keep it up!
Old 01-31-14, 03:13 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the additional info on the Scangauge RCxGX.

Should be great fun on road trips.
Added to shopping list.
Old 01-31-14, 03:43 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IanB2
That turned out really nice! Does it read tranny temp?
Thanks!

Yes it should read the trans temp. I'm not sure when they updated to the ver. 4 firmware, I think sometime in 2011. As long as it's new stock it should at the very least have ver. 4, if not ver.4.02 their newest firmware.

It sucks that you can't connect it to a laptop and update the firmware yourself.

I'm on the fence about getting an iphone app as there is now (finally!!!) an app with customizable PID's, and it will work with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter but you need to jailbreak your phone, it's a lot more complicated than this unit, and it ties up your phone, I can't decice which is the way to go. I'll have to check out the Scanguage E, I wasn't aware there was a new version.
I've seen those bluetooth adapters before...they look pretty cool. I was always scared to jailbreak my iPhone in fear I would brick it.

Here's a size comparison of the II vs the E. From the looks of it the E is about a 1/4" shorter. The E only shows 2 gauges while the II shows 4. So if you want to see more than 2 gauges get the II.

And I'd like to add, I appreciate the activity you generate in this forum, keep it up!
I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Thanks for the additional info on the Scangauge RCxGX.

Should be great fun on road trips.
Added to shopping list.
No problem.