GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 11:40 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement Parts List

Planning to do the timing belt and water pump within the next couple of months and I intend to order the parts from Sewell.

Is there anything I am missing from my parts list?

DRIVE BELT (FOR FAN & ALTERNATOR) L:2245
Part #: 9091602586 (Ships within 24-48 hours)
$39.69

GX470 Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit-
Part #: GXTB03 (In Stock)
$333.47

Tensioner - Drive Belt-Drive Belt Tensioner
Part #: 166200W101 (In Stock)
$58.00

CHAIN TENSIONER ASSEMBLY NO.1
Part #: 1354050030 (In Stock)
$45.58

Last edited by cssnms; 01-07-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 11:58 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a newbie to GX, I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer this question on GX site but I just did my timing belt done on my 1997 4Runner with an Aisin kit from Amazon, I was told that it is all OEM belt, water pump, bearings etc. I saved myself quite a bit vs dealers and outside suppliers. Again, I'm not sure if Aisin is OEM for the GX but here's the similar kit I got for our GX on amazon, bit cheaper than you listed. Only other thing I needed was a Toyota brand sealant.

OEM Aisin TKT-001 Complete Water Pump Kit-Timing Belt : Amazon.com : Automotive OEM Aisin TKT-001 Complete Water Pump Kit-Timing Belt : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by Lmcqueen; 01-07-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 12:02 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
Being a newbie to GX, I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer this question on GX site but I just did my timing belt done with an Aisin kit from Amazon, I was told that it is all OEM belt, water pump, bearings etc. I saved myself quite a bit vs dealers and outside suppliers. Again, I'm not sure if Aisin is OEM for the GX but here's the similar kit I got for our GX on amazon, bit cheaper than you listed.

OEM Aisin TKT-001 Complete Water Pump Kit-Timing Belt : Amazon.com : Automotive
Funny I was just about to post this same kit.

The cost difference between the one Sewell sells and this one is $319 vs $333 - correction - the Amazon kit includes the drive-belt so add another $39 to the difference. although I noticed that the t-stat was included with the kit on Amazon, which begs the question,,,

Is it recommended to repalce the t-stat when doing the timing belt and water pump and what about the timing belt tensioner that I included in the list above?

Last edited by cssnms; 01-07-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 12:05 PM
cssnms
Racer

The Sewell Kit includes the following.....

•Timing Belt
•Water Pump w/Gasket
•2 Idler Pulleys
•2 O-Rings
•Coolant

The Amazon kit includes the following....

Water pump,
O-rings and gasket,
Timing belt,
Both Idlers,
Camshaft Seals,
Crankshaft seal,
Thermostat and gasket,
Drive belt and Tensioner.

So it would seem the kit from Amazon is a bit more comprehensive. Also are the crankshaft seals necessary/recommended to be replaced when doing this job?
Old 01-07-14, 12:08 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Chris,

Thermostat replacement (with the O ring) takes about 20 seconds with everything out. I'm not sure if it's recommended or required, but since it's right there with water pump out, I decided to do it. For my 4Runner, I didn't get the crank/cam seals. I was told that they're fine.

BTW, I'm making it look like I did everything, which is not true. I have an ASE mechanic buddy, that builds racecars as hobby that did all of it. (I paid him 150$ for the job) I could have done it, but I'm not a professional, and I always decide that spending time with my kids is time better spent.

Last edited by Lmcqueen; 01-07-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 12:13 PM
cssnms
Racer

Chris,

Thermostat replacement (with the O ring) takes about 20 seconds with everything out. I'm not sure if it's recommended or required, but since it's right there with water pump out, I decided to do it.

BTW, I'm making it look like I did everything, which is not true. I have an ASE mechanic buddy, that builds racecars as hobby that did all of it. (I paid him 150$ for the job) I could have done it, but I'm not a professional, and I always decide that spending time with my kids is time better spent.
That is kind of what I was thinking too re the t-stat.

While I realize Toyota outscources the manufacturing of their vehicle parts, did you get a chance to verify what the seller claims - that all of these parts are made by the same company that makes them for Toyota and are virtually identical?

Ps: I agree with the philosophy that time is better spent with the kids/fam!
Old 01-07-14, 12:26 PM
cssnms
Racer

It seems a similar discussion was had over on Tundra Solutions.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...kit-vs-toyota/

The more comprehensive Amazon kit it is!
Old 01-07-14, 12:29 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

I have a national parts guy that's actually local to me that does a lot of Supra OEM parts (he works out of Toyota Dealer) I asked him for a quote, and the OEM stuff was exactly same as the Amazon, down to the part number. (everything except the belt) I think the brands of the timing belt were different, (one was mitsubishi, one was something else, I can't remember) but the old belt matched the one I was putting in from Amazon. (again, I can't remember which was which) The 4runner did have belt changed once, prior to my ownership, so not sure if the one there was OEM. I also had all the V-belts changed, while everything was being done. The V-belts, I picked up from local Toyota.
Old 01-07-14, 12:30 PM
cssnms
Racer

I have a national parts guy that's actually local to me that does a lot of Supra OEM parts (he works out of Toyota Dealer) I asked him for a quote, and the OEM stuff was exactly same as the Amazon, down to the part number. (everything except the belt) I think the brands of the timing belt were different, (one was mitsubishi, one was something else, I can't remember) but the old belt matched the one I was putting in from Amazon. (again, I can't remember which was which) The 4runner did have belt changed once, prior to my ownership, so not sure if the one there was OEM. I also had all the V-belts changed, while everything was being done. The V-belts, I picked up from local Toyota.
Good intel - thanks
Old 01-07-14, 01:08 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Don't forget to pick up FIPG sealer 00295-00103 (toyota part number).

I'm not sure exactly where it was used, as there are conflicting stories everywhere about if it should be used on the metal gaskets, but i think my mechanic used it on cam covers on the 4Runner.