GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Member - 2007 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 10:18 AM
jvangun
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Member - 2007 GX470

After more than five months of searching (the best part by the way) I finally made a decision to trade in my 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser. I opted to go with a Certified 2007 Lexus GX470. 1 owner w/ 64k miles and meticulous maintenance every 5k at the dealer. Sport package, NAV, DVD, and very clean interior/exterior. Not looking to do much in terms of modifications but do like watching what others are doing as well as to have a resource for questions.

To do list:
Figure out what options I have for a hitch (already pre-wired)
Get front two windows tinted

Old 04-09-13, 11:10 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That's a sweet and indeed hard to find ride. I've come across dozens of posts on this site and others saying you can't tow with KDSS. Not sure what you have in mind with your hitch, but you may want to search out the limitations to be sure.
Old 04-09-13, 11:30 AM
jvangun
Driver School Candidate

rj4510 - can you elaborate on "KDSS"? I've seen everything from full bar trailer hitches to what looks like a small hitch adapter that mounts to an existing plate. Not looking to tow a boat or anything but possibly a bike rack and possibly something like a small utility trailer. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-13, 11:56 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Apperently the hitches were completely different, because of ??? can't exactly remember I don't think you'll have an issue with the smaller hidden stock hitch. that'll tow a bike rach and small trailer fine. The frame mounted one that was supposed to tow heavy loads was the issue, if I remember correctly. I haven't seen anything on it for a while. Things change a lot with KDSS, so it's just something to be aware of and research
Old 04-10-13, 10:36 AM
BFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking with black maple trimmed interior only for KDSS equiped GX! maybe consider adding a rear spoiler? Congrats!
Old 04-10-13, 12:35 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the color options you got. We had to settle with the Gold / beige interior not a huge fan of it but its really the only thing i would LOVE to have different.

I agree with the above post. Think of adding a spolier? It really adds to the overall look of the truck.
Old 04-10-13, 01:04 PM
jvangun
Driver School Candidate

re: Spoiler.... Yes, I really like the look w/ the spoiler. That said I'm also wanting to add a hitch, updated NAV DVD, and tinted windows. Probably an ongoing project
Old 04-10-13, 09:41 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to CL . Congrats on your purchase.
Old 04-11-13, 06:40 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Keep a look out for the DVDs on the sponsor websites. I don't recall exactly when, but seem to remember sometime in July or August they sell off the existing stock for the newer DVDs and you can get them for a good price.
Old 04-11-13, 08:58 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Welcome to the forum. That's a sweet and indeed hard to find ride. I've come across dozens of posts on this site and others saying you can't tow with KDSS. Not sure what you have in mind with your hitch, but you may want to search out the limitations to be sure.
Not true re: KDSS & towing.. I have the exact twin of this truck, with one exception: I have the tow package. Full-on frame-mounted. I'm the first owner with 77k miles.

I've towed frequently and heavily with it. I'd be shocked if KDSS didn't help significantly with keeping sway under control while towing.

Congrats. Would you mind sharing what you paid? Just curious what my rig's worth
Old 04-11-13, 09:15 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Good to know. From what I've been reading since my first post the first models didn't have the full hitch option. Don't know. There's a Tom of conflicting info out there and a KDSS owner would know best.
Old 04-12-13, 08:47 AM
jvangun
Driver School Candidate

Far from an expert on the subject after only having owned a week but agree on towing ability with KDSS. Mine came w/ factory installed towing set up (no full hitch but included ebrake wiring). Hard to belive they would devlier w/ that set up if it wasnt designed for towing. As far as price, take into account what I negotiated on the trade offer I paid about $28.5 for this certified GX470.
Old 01-09-14, 09:21 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought an '07 GX Sport Edition, similar to yours. Mine, though, has a spoiler on it, which I really like and also has the chrome exhaust tip (which I can't tell if you have or not). Mine has every option except the Rear Entertainment System and the Lexus Link. I bought it with 89k miles on it and paid $24.5 for it. I thought I got a great deal. It is a one owner truck, all records and is in perfect condition. I traded up from a 4Runner Limited and there are no comparisons between the two. The GX is the pinnacle of luxury in an SUV. I do a lot of off-roading and with the KDSS on the GX, it is an amazingly capable vehicle off-road. Luxury with capability = Lexus GX!! I'm driving my GX until 400k miles or the wheels fall off! I Love my GX!!
Old 01-09-14, 10:27 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GX470Fan
and also has the chrome exhaust tip (which I can't tell if you have or not).
All sport packages came with the chrome tip, see pic #3. The factory non-sport tip has an angled cut, while the chrome tip is a straight cut.
Old 01-09-14, 08:24 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to the club. I have had my 07 for about a year now (traded my FJ) and love it! I found the Gen 5 Navi update and it removed the "I agree" button which was the most significant difference.

Only thing I had to fix was the "clunk" every time I stopped. Much like yours it was CPO so the warranty covered the fix but if that comes up make sure you get that taken care of. Others may have some feedback on that.

Quick Reply: New Member - 2007 GX470