GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Heater not working

Old 12-16-13, 03:34 PM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater not working

Hi,

My heater in my GX470 2003 is not working! I am freezing. i have coolant. What else could be wrong and before I change any parts, I would like to test/verify if that part is broken.

HELP!!!
Old 12-16-13, 05:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by anon1m0us
Hi,

My heater in my GX470 2003 is not working! I am freezing. i have coolant. What else could be wrong and before I change any parts, I would like to test/verify if that part is broken.

HELP!!!
The obvious would be a fuse or relay. Do you have any function of the controls. Do you have navigation?
If yes does that work. Need more information !!
Old 12-16-13, 05:25 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bad thermostat? Is your GX temp gauge in the middle?
Old 12-16-13, 09:38 PM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

I have Nav. and all my controls work.
Old 12-16-13, 09:40 PM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

"Bad thermostat? Is your GX temp gauge in the middle?"

How do I know if it is a bad thermostat? My temp gauge is in middle and it does not overheat or stay cold. After 10 minutes of driving it is in middle.
Old 12-17-13, 05:59 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I have Nav. and all my controls work.
So recap. Your climate controls work blower speeds operate and temp button allows you to raise or ;lower the heater temp. But you get no heat at all just cold air blowing. If the temp gauge on the dash is half way up you should be able to generate heat. If you drive the car for 30 min does the heater put out any heat? If not you may have a stuck open thermostat that is not allowing enough heated coolant to flow to the heater core, There also could be blockage somewhere else. Most of the time it winds up being a thermostat Keep us informed.
Old 12-17-13, 06:07 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a great write-up about heating systems. This might help with a diagnosis.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/239
Old 12-17-13, 06:15 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roemer7
Here's a great write-up about heating systems. This might help with a diagnosis.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/239
Good read. Lots of things to check before going to a dealer
Old 12-17-13, 06:35 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Is your problem getting and keeping the engine up to temp, or with getting the heat into the cab? You say the HVAC controls work, so it blows air, but the air is cold instead of hot?

Take a second and explain exactly what the problem is.
Old 12-17-13, 08:17 AM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
So recap. Your climate controls work blower speeds operate and temp button allows you to raise or ;lower the heater temp. But you get no heat at all just cold air blowing. If the temp gauge on the dash is half way up you should be able to generate heat. If you drive the car for 30 min does the heater put out any heat? If not you may have a stuck open thermostat that is not allowing enough heated coolant to flow to the heater core, There also could be blockage somewhere else. Most of the time it winds up being a thermostat Keep us informed.
Yes, by blower speeds work, I am able to raise and lower temp, but only cold air blows. I can drive the car for 30 hours, no heat is blowing. The Car temp gauge is in middle and still no heat.

My question is, how do I know it is the thermostate without taking apart my whole car?
Old 12-17-13, 08:22 AM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Is your problem getting and keeping the engine up to temp, or with getting the heat into the cab? You say the HVAC controls work, so it blows air, but the air is cold instead of hot?

Take a second and explain exactly what the problem is.

My enginer temp is fine, it is in middle of the gauge. The issue is my car only blows cold air. No hot air blows, no matter how long I drive and even when the Enginer temp is in middle.
Old 12-17-13, 08:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if this applies to our GX or not....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sn-t-work.html

Another way to enter diagnostic mode:
Originally Posted by yaro1
A. From almost any screen, press the "Display" button. A new frame pops up with settings.

B. Touch the top-left of the screen just below the frame, bottom left just above the frame. (repeat B two more times) Check out my stinky text-drawing interpretation below.

THE END

IE.
If this is the screen and the extra lines in the middle represent the framing, you would press where the numbers are in that order (except always touch where he numeber 1 is and 2 is, don't press out further to the right how it is show[ALWAYS STAY IN THE CORNER]).
|
|246__________________________________
|______________________________________

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-17-13 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 08:54 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Not sure if this applies to our GX or not....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sn-t-work.html
You can enter the diagnostic mode by holding climate button and recirculate at same time then turn ignition switch to on [ do not start the engine ]

1) Simultaneously press and hold AUTO and recirculated air
switches. 2. Turn ignition on. All indicators will flash 4
times, at one-second intervals. Tone will sound when indicators flash.
2) A/C system will enter self-diagnostic mode. To end
indicator check, press and release OFF switch. Read codes at
temperature display.

The diagnostic will test all of your actuators that open or close for various heat & air controls.

I recently ran mine 2004 gx470 and I got two codes that were # 21 # 24 These are sensor errors you will always get those. ** especially in low light if you run test and its dark in bright sun light it may not give you those codes

You can also after its run through its diagnostic sequence press the temp button up and you can then repeat the test one at a time for every press of the temp button it will advance from 0 to 9

Last edited by mrblister; 12-17-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 10:38 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

My enginer temp is fine, it is in middle of the gauge. The issue is my car only blows cold air. No hot air blows, no matter how long I drive and even when the Enginer temp is in middle.
I'm guessing you have a blockage in the heater core, might be fixable via flushing theheater core, I'd flush you're entire coolant system at that point though to get all the old stuff out, so it doesn't happen again.
Old 12-17-13, 10:41 AM
anon1m0us
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
You can enter the diagnostic mode by holding climate button and recirculate at same time then turn ignition switch to on [ do not start the engine ]

1) Simultaneously press and hold AUTO and recirculated air
switches. 2. Turn ignition on. All indicators will flash 4
times, at one-second intervals. Tone will sound when indicators flash.
2) A/C system will enter self-diagnostic mode. To end
indicator check, press and release OFF switch. Read codes at
temperature display.

The diagnostic will test all of your actuators that open or close for various heat & air controls.

I recently ran mine 2004 gx470 and I got two codes that were # 21 # 24 These are sensor errors you will always get those. ** especially in low light if you run test and its dark in bright sun light it may not give you those codes

You can also after its run through its diagnostic sequence press the temp button up and you can then repeat the test one at a time for every press of the temp button it will advance from 0 to 9

I ran the DIAG, and it says 00--which is normal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater not working