GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cost of Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 04:27 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cost of Brake Job

I usually take my GX to a local Toyota dealer for routine maintenance.

The car has 108k miles and based on my last visit to the dealer, it is time to get the brakes replaced. I'd like to get an idea on how much I can expect to pay for getting brake pads replaced on all 4 wheels. They are currently having a $99 front or rear brake special, but not sure if it will apply to my car?

So based on your experience, what is the average cost of a complete brake job? If the rotors haven't been replaced so far, would you suggest getting those replaced as well? At 108k miles, I'm thinking it is better to pay extra to get them replaced than just resurface? So if I get both the brakes and rotors replaced - how much should I expect to pay (parts & labor)?

Also, how much does it cost on average to replace the brake fluid?

From looking at Sewell's website, just the brakes & rotors are costing around $600. On top of that, if you buy the shim kits etc. it would add around $100 more.

On one hand I'd like to spend the minimum and replace what's necessary. But on the other hand I'm thinking to get everything done now and not have to worry about it for a while.

I know our calipers have tendency to freeze. Should I ask them to to lube them or anything for preventive maintenance?
Old 12-16-13, 05:52 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui

From looking at Sewell's website, just the brakes & rotors are costing around $600. On top of that, if you buy the shim kits etc. it would add around $100 more.
If you sign in and give them your CL user name the price is $532 shipped ($59 of that price is s/h) for:
  • 2x front rotors
  • 1x front brake pads w/ shim kit
  • 2x rear rotors
  • 1x rear brake pads w/ shim kit

Honestly if you can remove your tires you can replace the rotors and pads.
All you need is basic hand tools. Just a thought. I'm sure w/ labor + the cost of parts it would be close to if not a little more than $1000.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rotor-fix.html

Doing it yourself would save you quite a bit of money to put towards more Christmas presents. There's only 9 more days as my daughter so graciously reminded me the second she woke for school this morning.
Old 12-16-13, 06:51 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If you sign in and give them your CL user name the price is $532 shipped ($59 of that price is s/h) for:
  • 2x front rotors
  • 1x front brake pads w/ shim kit
  • 2x rear rotors
  • 1x rear brake pads w/ shim kit

Honestly if you can remove your tires you can replace the rotors and pads.
All you need is basic hand tools. Just a thought. I'm sure w/ labor + the cost of parts it would be close to if not a little more than $1000.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rotor-fix.html

Doing it yourself would save you quite a bit of money to put towards more Christmas presents. There's only 9 more days as my daughter so graciously reminded me the second she woke for school this morning.
Thanks for looking this up. Maybe this time when I go in for regular maintenance I can just get a quote from them so I have some time to think about it.

I would really love to do it myself and save money but my confidence level is very low. If only I knew someone who has done a brake job before and can provide extra set of eyes incase I get stuck somewhere. Would have been great if you were in Annandale
Old 12-16-13, 07:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks for looking this up. Maybe this time when I go in for regular maintenance I can just get a quote from them so I have some time to think about it.

I would really love to do it myself and save money but my confidence level is very low. If only I knew someone who has done a brake job before and can provide extra set of eyes incase I get stuck somewhere. Would have been great if you were in Annandale
I wish I was up there too, I would've been more than happy to help you out. I miss VA so much but my job is down here so I'm stuck....for now.

I'm no mechanic but changing the pads and rotors isn't hard at all, trust me. If you feel comfortable using a lug nut wrench to remove your tires and are comfortable using a ratchet that's all there is to it! It's just removing bolts, nothing at all technical like a timing belt change! I know how you feel though, it's intimidating if you've never done it before but once you do it you'll think why didn't I do this before!??
Old 12-16-13, 09:08 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Where is the write up for the rear pads? LOL
Old 12-16-13, 09:59 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

$1000 is what I'm guessing for pads & rotors replaced. This is a lot of money but the savings with doing it on my own won't be worth the risk especially with family.
Old 12-16-13, 11:43 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Where is the write up for the rear pads? LOL
Same exact way.

$1000 is what I'm guessing for pads & rotors replaced. This is a lot of money but the savings with doing it on my own won't be worth the risk especially with family.
It really is fool proof but if it makes you feel better definitely have a shop do it for you.