GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Navigation map color....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 12:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Navigation map color....

....What's it for? I've pressed 1-4 during the day and at night and I don't notice any change in color vs the normal button. Am I missing something? The map background stays white during the day and black at night. The Navigation manual isn't any help since it doesn't say what that function actually does.

Old 11-18-13, 05:05 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
....What's it for? I've pressed 1-4 during the day and at night and I don't notice any change in color vs the normal button. Am I missing something? The map background stays white during the day and black at night. The Navigation manual isn't any help since it doesn't say what that function actually does.

This is a question I also would like the answer. I dont see any differance
Old 11-18-13, 06:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblister
This is a question I also would like the answer. I dont see any differance
I thought I was doing something wrong, glad I'm not the only one.
Old 12-03-13, 08:31 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Anyone?? It has to do something.....
Old 12-04-13, 06:27 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Convoluted fix

Yup had the same problem but figured it out a couple months ago

Start the car
Headlights in Auto-mode
Be in a dark space so the headlights turn on
Press Display button on console
At the top you will see a button appear called "Day mode" press to turn it off.
I have my map colors in AUTO

The Day mode only appears if the headlights are on via Auto lamp.

2003 GX470
Old 12-04-13, 06:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gzorn

Start the car
Headlights in Auto-mode

2003 GX470
That still does not explain why there are 4 different color choices for day and four different color
for night. ??":? And the color never seems to change
Old 12-04-13, 09:55 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gzorn

Start the car
Headlights in Auto-mode

2003 GX470
That's not what I'm talking about.

Pressing the day mode will just turn the navi into a brighter mode at night. What I'm asking about is the 4 different color options in day and night mode. And FYI the day time button appears anytime the lights are on (parking lights only, lights on, AUTO) not just in AUTO mode.

Funny you brought that up though because I just helped another GX owner figure out how to put his display in night mode because his day mode button was pressed.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ml#post8949740

That still does not explain why there are 4 different color choices for day and four different color
for night. ??":? And the color never seems to change
I guess it's a mystery.
Old 12-07-13, 10:09 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe Try to diagnose your color bar check within the Nav unit
1. Start the "Diagnosis System"
2. Select "Menu"( pressing this switch activates the Display check)
3. Select "Display Check"
4. Select "Color Bar Check"
5. Make sure that each color name is corresponding to each color on the bar.
Hint Select Black, Red, Green,Blue ,White and stripe to display selected colors and stripe on the entire screen.
6. Compare with the Color Bar Check in the Navigation Check and make sure no difference is found.
Old 12-07-13, 11:50 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Colors are perfectly fine. I'm able to change the color background of menus (gray, blue, green etc) but nothing changes under map colors?

Old 12-07-13, 12:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Colors are perfectly fine. I'm able to change the color background of menus (gray, blue, green etc) but nothing changes under map colors?

When you say the colors change for the menus do you mean that if I select climate control and I have changed the color in the menu that allows us to choose between 4 different modes that now the background color for the climate control will say now be a different color from what it was. As well as any other menu I select like audio or menu etc.

Perhaps your not supposed to be able to change the color of the maps. I never looked at the menus when I changed the color in the settings I was looking for a color change in the maps.
I will ty and change the colors again and look at the other menus to see if in fact I do get different colors. They don't label the colors they just allow for 4 different settings . Do I have this right
Old 12-07-13, 12:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

When you say the colors change for the menus do you mean that if I select climate control and I have changed the color in the menu that allows us to choose between 4 different modes that now the background color for the climate control will say now be a different color from what it was. As well as any other menu I select like audio or menu etc.

Perhaps your not supposed to be able to change the color of the maps. I never looked at the menus when I changed the color in the settings I was looking for a color change in the maps.
I will ty and change the colors again and look at the other menus to see if in fact I do get different colors. They don't label the colors they just allow for 4 different settings . Do I have this right

Yes. If you press "INFO" button, then "Screen Setting", you have the option of changing background colors (Menu, Display, Info etc) from green, blue, gray, beige. It doesn't change the map color though. Pressing 1-4 in the map color does not change the background color above. Since it says day / night it's supposed to change the actual navigation map color but nothing happens.
Old 12-07-13, 12:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I think that what you are saying is correct. On both my 2005 GX and on my previously-owned 2006 ES with the same generation navigation system, selecting a different color in the settings has changed the background color for things like the climate control settings, audio settings, etc., but it has not changed anything in the look of the actual navigation system maps.
Old 12-07-13, 12:38 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Disregard what I said in my previous post. After posting, I went out and tried changing the colors. Doing so did nothing that I could see. After poking around more, I see that you can change the background color for the climate control, audio system, etc., but that is done by going to the "info" screen. Thus, like the others, I'm not seeing any change that results from changing the "map color" setting.

Last edited by lesz; 12-07-13 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 11:44 AM
domcmcal1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving the thread.....

Just picked up a used 2005 LX with enough miles to circle the globe 10 times (or at least well on it's way).

I have been researching this topic as well, thought my map colors were doing nothing too, and found out they actually ARE. It is an extremely subtle change when going through the numbers, from Green (1), Browns, and even Gray (3). I couldn't see the change at first, but while the car was in the garage with dim lighting saw the subtle difference.

It does work (barely), give it a try and you'll find NONE of the colors are pleasing, so just pick one.

Last edited by domcmcal1; 09-23-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-23-20, 02:16 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 107 Posts

Probably a menu feature that had no real coding behind it.

Last edited by Lexus4321; 09-23-20 at 02:21 PM.