GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 04:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rsjasonp
Hi guys I just joined this site a couple of days ago. I have a 2003 GX470 that is in near perfect condition.
I would love to upgrade to the LED lights and will be doing so soon....
Can you put LED lights behind the instrument cluster to make it brighter too? Thanks for the input.
Jason P.
Our cluster already uses LEDs. If you need them brighter at night just turn the illumination dial up and it'll be as bright as day time.
Old 11-21-13, 04:49 PM
rsjasonp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Our cluster already uses LEDs. If you need them brighter at night just turn the illumination dial up and it'll be as bright as day time.
10-4 on the cluster......who put in your LED lights?
Old 11-21-13, 05:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rsjasonp
10-4 on the cluster......who put in your LED lights?
I did. You just unplug your stock bulbs and plug the LED bulbs in.
Old 03-04-14, 04:34 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That's weird that both bulbs are out but it is possible.

It's easy to remove the fogs. There's only 1 bolt holding them in from the back then you push it out from the back and pull it out from the front.

See attached PDF and start w/ # 6. I don't know why Lexus says to remove the fender liners and bumper cover. It literally takes 10-20 secs. to remove them. No wonder they like going by the book hours!!

I use standard H3 bulbs from Autozone, O'Reilys etc. I've always liked yellow fogs so I installed some Lexus yellow glass capsules. Now I can run a standard bulb instead of the more expensive yellow bulbs.

Do you have more info on these capsules? It appears that you have to take the lens cover off to put them in, right? Do you have the Toyota part number?
Old 03-04-14, 05:15 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I've always bought them in the classifieds over at hidplanet.com. Here's the link of the guys that's selling them. I've bought several sets from him in the past and if he doesn't have any for sale he can get them for you.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-lenses/page2

And yes to install them you have to remove the front plastic lens. Don't have a part number, sorry.
Old 03-04-14, 06:16 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always bought them in the classifieds over at hidplanet.com. Here's the link of the guys that's selling them. I've bought several sets from him in the past and if he doesn't have any for sale he can get them for you.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-lenses/page2

And yes to install them you have to remove the front plastic lens. Don't have a part number, sorry.
Thanks a lot!
Old 03-05-14, 08:14 PM
MichaelD86
Rookie

I actually just replaced the running boards and door panel LEDs today. I was going to do the license plate bulbs but didn't see how. Do you have to remove the rear door panel?
Old 03-05-14, 10:47 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Post #27 back on page 2:

Originally Posted by amccaulx
Did you have to remove the interior panel from the "Barn Door" to replace these?
No, just use your finger or a flat head screwdriver and slide the light housing to the side and pull down.

Old 03-07-14, 01:39 PM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Cool, Thank you. One last question. How do you replace the front two dome lights? Does that whole panel with the homelink and sunglasses holder need to come off or does just the lens come off?
Old 03-07-14, 05:50 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MichaelD86
Cool, Thank you. One last question. How do you replace the front two dome lights? Does that whole panel with the homelink and sunglasses holder need to come off or does just the lens come off?
I just removed the lens. Be careful though, it's help in by 2 plastic side "C" clips that are molded into the light cover. Hard to explain but you'll see once you remove them.
Old 07-18-14, 01:39 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Yeah they make a huge difference.

So far they cost about $60. I haven't done all of the interior lights but the ones I did are the only ones I needed to be brighter.

You don't remove the lens. Look underneath of the boards and you'll see the sockets. You change them out just like you would a normal 194 bulb, twist the socket remove / replace the bulb and twist back. You'll probably need a shop light because it's a tight fit to get your hand in here. You can pull back some on the running board cover to make it easier to see the socket.

Very nice RCs ! Your LEDs rock man!!!
Now you got me want to do the entire car. I started a couple of years ago I did the front doors and license plate. When I got to the side step, I came to a screeching halt. ------- Not sure what year is your vehicle , but I owned a 2008 GX. I'm having the hardest time
figuring out how to get my hands under the running board to change these bulbs. the space to fit my hand is just so extra tight. I may have to remove the entire board.
What do you mean by pull back some on the running board ? Did you mean to loosen the hex bolts ?

Thanks!
rbx10
Old 07-29-14, 02:20 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

What about the turn indicators? Do we need to add anything else to make them work with LEDs?

Thanks for the thread. Good stuff.
Old 03-30-15, 07:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just installed the LED's in my running boards. A word of advice, make sure the bulb is strongly secured in the bulb-holder prior to trying to screw it in. 2 trips to the store, torn up forearms and a patient girlfriend and I finally retrieved the bulb from inside the lens

What a huge difference they make!
Old 03-31-15, 07:57 PM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dx3
Just installed the LED's in my running boards. A word of advice, make sure the bulb is strongly secured in the bulb-holder prior to trying to screw it in. 2 trips to the store, torn up forearms and a patient girlfriend and I finally retrieved the bulb from inside the lens

What a huge difference they make!
Welllllll, since we are on this now...How did you get your bulb out?
Old 04-06-15, 11:36 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by new2012jee
Welllllll, since we are on this now...How did you get your bulb out?
Tweezers and double sided tape

Quick Reply: LEDs