GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for the latest and greatest Navi Headunits - Audiophiles enter here

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 10:13 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the latest and greatest Navi Headunits - Audiophiles enter here

Looking for a replacement on my non-navi non ML. I currently have the non-navi headunit. BUDGET is $600 I'm not really uptodate on what's out there. I do know that I want it to have:

Bluetooth
Navigation
Rear Cam capability (also please recommend kits)
Android compatible
Be able to retain lexus factory steering settings

What does everyone suggest? Looking at this *8" monster rite now not sure if it will fit/compatible http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-z928hd there going for about $1000 on the bay...but i'd stretch the budget if it was worth it. Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Last edited by zeeshan66; 10-31-13 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-31-13, 10:00 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

almost 70 views and no replies? Somone's gotta bite. I've done the background research and know that i'm going to need the beatsonic kit. Now i'm more concerned with which navi/rear camera unit to go with.

If the 8" is to big and won't fit then i'm thinking the Pioneer AVIC Z150BH is my go to...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z150BH

anyone feel free to chime in opinions and comments needed
Old 10-31-13, 10:09 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Stick a iPad in there for that price and call it a day..
Old 10-31-13, 10:28 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

def not an apple fan lol
Old 10-31-13, 10:35 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There's only a few on here that have done HU swaps so you're pretty much on your own. I'm sure you've read the non-navi to navi threads already to get an idea of what others have gone with.

I can't really help since my GX came w/ the stock navi ML system so I'm stuck and can't upgrade. But on my Tundra I installed a Kenwood navi / dvd unit in and used a Boyo camera so I recommend those to use as cameras. I first tried the VTK-100. I made a custom "U" shaped bracket and mounted it in the hitch receiver but the day came where I needed the hitch so I went w/ the VTL-375. I didn't like the angle of the license plate mount and I ended up removing the camera portion from the frame and made some adjustable brackets and mounted it on top of the hitch receiver opening. Boyos are very good cameras and work really well even at night / low light conditions.

Here's both of the Boyos.
Old 10-31-13, 10:50 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

i really appreciate the reply. I did notice that there was one or two threads about replacements. Not sure if it was a impossible undertaking or a NO NO in the lexus world. Thanks for the suggestions. What model kenwood did you go with?
Old 10-31-13, 11:14 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zeeshan66
i really appreciate the reply. I did notice that there was one or two threads about replacements. Not sure if it was a impossible undertaking or a NO NO in the lexus world. Thanks for the suggestions. What model kenwood did you go with?
DNX-5140. I wanted the large buttons and a volume **** as opposed to those little 2-3 buttons / no volume **** they use on the larger screen models.

Old 10-31-13, 02:41 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Pioneer AVIC Z130BT seems to get consistent good reviews.

I had a Kenwood, Model (something or other) and was not thrilled with it. Kind of clunky and the Nav lost signal on occasion and needed to be powered down and back up again to get it working. It also had issues with my iPhone when apple updated the iOs.

I'm looking at buying an 08 Tundra in the next couple of weeks and will probably put in the Pioneer... unless you find a better one first
Old 10-31-13, 03:41 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
I had a Kenwood, Model (something or other) and was not thrilled with it. Kind of clunky and the Nav lost signal on occasion and needed to be powered down and back up again to get it working. It also had issues with my iPhone when apple updated the iOs.
My Kenwood worked great and it was one of their cheaper models...go figure. I mounted the GPS antenna under the dash and never had any reception issues.

For my iPhone I used the Kenwood KCA-iP301V cable and it worked flawlessly, too bad I can't say the same about the VaisTech SL2i-up.

I hate seeing these threads. I wish I didn't have the factory navigation so I can install a different HU.

I'm looking at buying an 08 Tundra in the next couple of weeks and will probably put in the Pioneer... unless you find a better one first
NICE! Are you keeping the GX?
Old 10-31-13, 03:55 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Nice... I mounted mine under the dash as well. It seemed to get full signal all the time but just shut down randomly. I assumed it was a software thing as the minute you powered back up, it was full steam ahead

As for the Tundra and the GX, the GX is for sale. I travel a ton and I've just had too many problems with the GX and it's turned me off of the vehicle completely. It's not rational and it's usually nothing big, but just something to fix every time I come home. I've probably got everything fixed now and the next owner will never have to do anything

My buddy has an 08 Tundra and it's been bulletproof for him so I'm hoping I'll have the same luck. Additionally, I'll be able to put my sled on the back vs hauling my snowmobile trailer around when it's just one sled.

This is the Tundra I'm hoping to secure...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Crispy3M; 10-31-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-01-13, 06:36 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Pioneer AVIC Z130BT seems to get consistent good reviews.

I have never owned a Kenwood product so i'll have to do some more investigating into their quality.

Nice... I mounted mine under the dash as well. It seemed to get full signal all the time but just shut down randomly. I assumed it was a software thing as the minute you powered back up, it was full steam ahead

As for the Tundra and the GX, the GX is for sale. I travel a ton and I've just had too many problems with the GX and it's turned me off of the vehicle completely. It's not rational and it's usually nothing big, but just something to fix every time I come home. I've probably got everything fixed now and the next owner will never have to do anything

My buddy has an 08 Tundra and it's been bulletproof for him so I'm hoping I'll have the same luck. Additionally, I'll be able to put my sled on the back vs hauling my snowmobile trailer around when it's just one sled.

[IMG][/IMG]
sorry to hear about the issues you had with the GX good luck on the new purchase bud.

Originally Posted by RCsGX
DNX-5140. I wanted the large buttons and a volume **** as opposed to those little 2-3 buttons / no volume **** they use on the larger screen models.

I would LOVE larger buttons and a real volume ****..that's a huge selling point.

The Z130BT is where I’d want to be price wise. I may hold off to see what deals I can get on black Friday. So will my upgrade be a plug and play?
Old 11-01-13, 09:11 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

[IMG][/IMG]
Damn that is sweet looking!! I hope things work out for you and you end up getting it!

I had an '06 Tundra DC. I hooked it up the way I wanted then got bored and wanted a car. I ended up selling the Tundra to buy a Cadi CTS-V. I hooked that up just the way I wanted then my wife got pregnant w/ our 2nd child so the V had to go....and now I have the GX. Knock-on wood the GX has been great to me other than the POS suspension. A huge plus for me is having the 3rd row. Having young kids / nieces and nephews I can use it but once they get older it will be worthless so I'll probably end back up in a Tundra at some point.

If I would've known how things would've turned out I would've kept the Tundra without a doubt though. It had under 60K miles, Toyota platinum 7yr / 100K bumper to bumper warranty, freshly installed Bilstein 5100s front / rear, new 17" BBS wheels, new Cooper STT tires, Navi, backup camera, Darell Waltrip grill, HID retro (TL bi-xenon projectors), Truxedo bed cover, custom 2 1/2" dual exhaust w/ Magnapack 14" muffler and dual 4" tips exiting 90° after the rear tires......man I miss my Tundra!!!

I have never owned a Kenwood product so i'll have to do some more investigating into their quality.
Honestly every brand will have good and bad reviews. Kenwood is no worse than Pioneer, Clarion, Sony etc.

I would LOVE larger buttons and a real volume ****..that's a huge selling point.
Having a volume **** was the biggest selling point for me. Another selling point was I wanted a HU that used Garmin for their navigation maps and at the time I believe Kenwood was the only one that was allowed by Garmin to use their maps.

The Pioneer you're looking at looks very nice but the small skinny buttons would kill it for me.
Old 11-01-13, 12:14 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Who else is using Garmin for their Nav at this point, or is it still just Kenwood?
Old 11-01-13, 01:49 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IanB2
Who else is using Garmin for their Nav at this point, or is it still just Kenwood?
Doing a quick search it looks like Kenwood is still the only manufacturer to use Garmin. I found this but it's from 3 years ago:
  • Kenwood's use Garmin
  • Pioneer's & Jenson's use TeleAtlas
  • Sony's use TomTom
  • Alpine's & JVC's use NavTeq
Old 11-02-13, 07:56 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm a Pioneer/Garmin guy, guess I can't have everything in one package, lol.

Quick Reply: Looking for the latest and greatest Navi Headunits - Audiophiles enter here