GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

rear ride height uneven...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 10:01 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default rear ride height uneven...

I have made several adjustments to the rear suspension ride height sensors, different combinations of one up, one down, both up, both down and even some of the adjustments with the locking screws, etc. No matter what I do, the left side is 1/2" higher than the right. The sensors both appear to be working in terms of moving up and down when I make adjustments and when I use the high/low settings inside the cabin. Again, all combinations result in 1/2" difference from side to side.

Any thoughts on this? Even with a person sitting in the driver's seat, it is about 1/4" difference.
Could I have a bad sensor? I'm afraid to take it to lexus because I think they would have me replace everything at high cost with little confidence that it would even "fix" the issue. Thank you!
Old 09-28-13, 05:43 PM
koda4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GreggyG,

I am experiencing the exact type of problem you are with trying to adjust the ride height sensors to make the rear even. There is a Gate Solenoid value that I am going to test that may be causing the problem. If it is the problem then I think you need to replace the entire Height Control Reservoir Assembly. Discount price is around $630 from the internet.

The height control solenoid has 2 connectors. The gate value is the one with 3 pins. Applying 12 volts to the pin 1 and ground to pin 2 should make a clicking sound to verify it is working.

Testing resistance between pins 1 & 2 should be 17.5 - 21.5 ohms.

I'm going to do these tests to try and see if this is the problem on my 2004 GX470.

Like you, I tried individually adjusting the left and right height sensors but could not fix the uneven height.
I'll post results of testing the gate sensor.

KODA4
Old 09-28-13, 06:10 PM
koda4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GreggyG,

Nope, the problem does not appear to be the gate sensor. Applying 12v and ground I can hear a loud click and the resistance was 19.9 ohms.

Please post if you get it fixed.
Thanks,
Koda4
The following users liked this post:
Jclub (12-13-21)
Old 09-28-13, 08:02 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Thank you koda4 for your input and your diagnostic tests, that's good to rule that out. I'll keep you posted if anything turns up on my end.
Old 09-30-13, 07:32 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

they appear even at the moment after driving on the new adjustment. I think maybe the adjustment made the screw bolt with locking nuts above the main sensor adjustment may have helped. we'll see if it stays even.
Old 09-30-13, 07:40 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When you adjusted the turnbuckles did you adjust them w/ the GX wheels on the ground?

Do you remember off hand how much lift you were able to get out of adjusting only No. 1 above?
Old 10-07-13, 07:34 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I did adjust them when they wheels were on the ground, was that correct or not correct? I believe that I had about a 1" travel adjusting the turnbuckles, it's possible that it was a tad more maybe 1 1/2"?
Old 03-02-14, 07:22 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Just had reservoir//solenoid assembly and air springs replaced. Rear height off by about 1.5 cm , right too high. (As measured from ground to center of torsion bar bolt). Sensors must be working, height goes through H, N, and L equally. Are the sensors independent of each other, do they just control their corresponding air spring. No matter how I adjust them, I still have the same differential between left and right. There are original, 10 years old, but I have kept them clean and lubed. I would change them myself if I thought that was the problem.
Old 03-02-14, 08:03 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Yes they're independent of each other.

Lexus specs says the difference should be .39in or less, yours is 1.5cm (.59in). Not sure why you're not able to adjust them separately? Have you tried adjusting them both ways, the slide bracket and turnbuckle?
Old 03-02-14, 09:53 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe disconnecting the battery for awhile will clear out the sensor data.
Old 03-02-14, 11:18 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Yes they're independent of each other.

Lexus specs says the difference should be .39in or less, yours is 1.5cm (.59in). Not sure why you're not able to adjust them separately? Have you tried adjusting them both ways, the slide bracket and turnbuckle?
That requires taking the one out by the gas tank...tedious trying to get that done, might just give back to dealer, it was even before the springs were changed. And I should have gotten some change when moving them. I thought about disconnecting battery....May go out an do that now.
Old 03-02-14, 07:58 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Since you've had the dealer do a lot of work on your ride height system I'd take it back and have them adjust it. Maybe they bent one of the ride height sensor slide brackets when they replaced your airbags? Still doesn't make sense why you're not able to adjust them though.....
Old 06-10-14, 02:04 AM
kidelnino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same issue, can someone please measure the standard distance between the center of the hub to the wheel lip so I'll be able to adjust mine to the correct height. Thanks

Last edited by kidelnino; 06-10-14 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-10-14, 04:19 AM
ALAN553
Racer

i think a more acurate measurement would be the height from the gournd to the center of th bolt of the control arm in front of the rear wheel. the spec is the difference between that and the center of hub from ground. those numbers are here onthe forum somewhere. I think the body should be about 11 1/2 inches off the ground to that bolt??? the problem with measuring bumpers and fender flares is they are plastic, and they may not be mounted exactly, or they warp...or even replacment/body work.
Old 06-10-14, 06:09 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kidelnino
I have the exact same issue, can someone please measure the standard distance between the center of the hub to the wheel lip so I'll be able to adjust mine to the correct height. Thanks
The correct way to measure is below.

Quick Reply: rear ride height uneven...