GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Key for 2004 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 03:55 AM
Gabebuda
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key for 2004 GX470

just bought an 04 GX 470 a few months ago and have been dealing with one non-original key with no remote fob, just the actual key.

I’m just curious if anyone knows the whole process of getting an OEM key, the cutting costs and if you can program one yourself.

Saw an earlier post about how if I get a remote start that will usually come with a key fob too but I’m not sure that’s the route I’d like to go. Trying to bring this beast back to its former glory before off-roading it.
Old 01-22-24, 10:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I replaced a key recently, buying it at the dealer. I have found the quality to exponentially better than the knocks off from Amazon and ebay. They never seem to last me. Anyway, the price of the key itself with transponder and cutting wasn't horrible, the dealer really tries to gouch you on the programming. You can program it yourself, there's some Youtube DIY's, it's pretty simple but it took me a few times to get it to work, but eventually got it programmed. Visit your dealer parts counter for a quote. Mine had the keys in stock.
The following users liked this post:
Gabebuda (01-23-24)
Old 01-22-24, 04:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I'm surprised the immobilizer is happy with that...

Since you no longer have a master key, a dealer visit is in order.
To save money, once you have that master, you can get additional keys made at any locksmith that has the software to code them to the vehicle.

As far as I know, there is no source for the credit-card (wallet) key that originally came with the vehicle.

Chip H.
Old 01-23-24, 06:45 AM
Gabebuda
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cssnms
Anyway, the price of the key itself with transponder and cutting wasn't horrible.

If you don’t mind me asking, do you remember what you paid for the master key + cutting? I was quoted 480$ when speaking to my local dealer and that seemed extreme to me. I’ll look into another dealer maybe in a different city from me.
Old 01-29-24, 01:06 PM
Gyptown
2nd gear

I bought a key from some guy on the internet. https://www.key4.com/lexus-ilco-remo...60801-hyq1512v . The Lexus dealer in Frederick CO cut the blank for $11.00 or something. They said it would be 45 min. to program it and I didn't have 45 min. the key would open the doors and turn the ignition switch but not let the car start.
. Put the key that works in the ignition and out 5 times. Then open and close the drivers door 6 times. Then stick the freshly cut not yet programmed key in the ignition and wait till the little car shaped security light stays on from blinking. Your key is now programmed. If this doesn't work watch the video. It took me a few tries to get it right. Bob's your uncle.

Last edited by Gyptown; 01-29-24 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Provided links
Old 02-02-24, 10:06 PM
Gabebuda
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Gyptown
I bought a key from some guy on the internet. https://www.key4.com/lexus-ilco-remo...60801-hyq1512v . The Lexus dealer in Frederick CO cut the blank for $11.00 or something. They said it would be 45 min. to program it and I didn't have 45 min. the key would open the doors and turn the ignition switch but not let the car start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIgqqpXMdg. Put the key that works in the ignition and out 5 times. Then open and close the drivers door 6 times. Then stick the freshly cut not yet programmed key in the ignition and wait till the little car shaped security light stays on from blinking. Your key is now programmed. If this doesn't work watch the video. It took me a few tries to get it right. Bob's your uncle.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. So all of the buttons work to lock and unlock the car after being successfully programmed?
Old 02-03-24, 08:44 AM
Gyptown
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Gabebuda
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. So all of the buttons work to lock and unlock the car after being successfully programmed?
The lock programming is a different process but similar to ignition programming in that it involves doing seemingly unrelated steps. Youtube has an excellent search function. As an aside, for mechanical repairs I would watch Timmy The Toolman's videos before attempting any repairs on my '04 GX. So far I've done my xfer case actuator leak, and ABS module with his videos. The "pull and twist method on some of the videos for the actuator repair is just plain stupid. The ABS module replace video uses an earlier Techstream version than the one that I have so the Zero Point Calibration took some figuring out but I got it. I saved enough money on that project to pay for a laptop to run Techstream and the dongle and disc from ebay. Good luck with your key business.
Gyp