GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 11:44 AM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tire Questions

Hey guys - been searching the forum, my owner's manual etc. trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done just to put new tires on my '08 GX470 and I'm still confused.

It's my understanding that I should either replace the tire pressure monitors for each new tire at a cost of $50 each or have them rebuilt? Is this the general consensus? Is this something most shops that install tires can do?

Also, if I am reading correctly, the new tire pressure monitors will need to be programmed and can only be done by a Lexus dealer?

I normally just buy tires from Tirerack.com and have them installed at a local shop. It seems like this process is going to be complicated and expensive.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I've searched for the last hour and can't find an answer.
Old 05-28-14, 11:49 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TWillz
Hey guys - been searching the forum, my owner's manual etc. trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done just to put new tires on my '08 GX470 and I'm still confused.

It's my understanding that I should either replace the tire pressure monitors for each new tire at a cost of $50 each or have them rebuilt? Is this the general consensus? Is this something most shops that install tires can do?

Also, if I am reading correctly, the new tire pressure monitors will need to be programmed and can only be done by a Lexus dealer?

I normally just buy tires from Tirerack.com and have them installed at a local shop. It seems like this process is going to be complicated and expensive.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I've searched for the last hour and can't find an answer.
Tire pressure sensor can not be re-built. They have lithium batterys in them that should last 7 years or more. When you put on new tires just leave the original sensors in the rim and many tire places can re-program if necessary. If your just changing tires then all you have to do is dismount old ones balance and mount new ones . No programing necessary . If you wanted to buy new sensors try sewel lexus in Texas. They give forum members a discount.
Old 05-28-14, 11:53 AM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response blister. I'm guessing these tires have been on the vehicle for about 6 years or so, and I'm not sure if the sensors were replaced at that time. I just bought this truck, so this is my first time changing tires.