GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ugly new windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 04:38 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Ugly new windshield

My 04 GX i just bought had a bashed up windshield, and one of the conditions of me buying it was that the dealer was going to put in a new window.

Well, true ot their word, they scheduled the service with a local glass shop, who when i looked them up actually had very good reviews.

The guy showed up in the middle of the day after i had worked a graveyard shift, so i was totally out of it, unlocked the car for him and attempted to stay awake until he was done to give me the care instructions. Once he was, i had to work again that night so it was straight back to bed.

Well, upon inspecting the new windshield, it is seems like a quality installation: the rain sensor and mirror looked perfect, none of the surrounding trim was damaged on the in or the out, everything looks good, except where it meets the dash:

It looks like a kindergarten student applied the sealant!

If i had been done before i bought it, it likely wouldnt bother me one bit. But since I saw how it was before, its a tad unsightly.

The only other windshields i have had replaced were in my old Landcruiser and 4Runner, and those looked okay with a little extra adhesive, but not the Lexus!

After it cures, i am going to take to back to the shop and see fi they can just "trim" the excess adhesive, which i think would look fine. anyone had a similar experience?
Old 09-07-13, 06:28 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I have had windshields replaced numerous times. The adhesive was put in e wrong spot on this windshield. I have never seen anything like that. Glass needs to be pulled and done again. You cannot get in the area to trim out excess. Thats a do over !!!!
Old 09-07-13, 07:28 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW that looks like complete cr@p! They got silicone all on your dash. I can't believe somebody would actually leave the job with it looking like that.

I agree w/ ALAN553, that's a do over for sure!
Old 09-07-13, 08:06 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Ha ha! sweet.

I didn't realize how hideous it looked until i got back from work this morning and saw it in the sunlight. So, we will see how this pans out.

Well, the glass company has a "lifetime guarantee" against defects and workmanship according to their website, so i will be taking a trip over there on Monday to see if the management agrees that this is how their work should look.

I actually considered contacting a reputable company and just paying to get it done myself, but it's difficult to turn down a job when its part of the deal of the purchase.
Old 09-07-13, 08:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YoshiMan

Well, the glass company has a "lifetime guarantee" against defects and workmanship according to their website, so i will be taking a trip over there on Monday to see if the management agrees that this is how their work should look.
I'm sure the owner and or manager will agree w/ you and they'll make it right. There's no way any glass shop would stand-by that work.
Old 09-09-13, 10:15 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Well, i took it in today, and the shop owners were APPALLED by how it looks.

They were very apologetic and said "This is not the quality of work that we do", then they ordered a new windshield and have it scheduled to completely redo the whole thing tommorow morning.

They also said that they would not have the same technician do it. After pulling in the shop and looking at it, i could see them scanning over their paperwork with unhappy looks on their faces, probably to see who bungled the job.

i'll post results of the new one tommorow.
Old 09-09-13, 10:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, i took it in today, and the shop owners were APPALLED by how it looks.

They were very apologetic and said "This is not the quality of work that we do", then they ordered a new windshield and have it scheduled to completely redo the whole thing tommorow morning.

They also said that they would not have the same technician do it. After pulling in the shop and looking at it, i could see them scanning over their paperwork with unhappy looks on their faces, probably to see who bungled the job.

i'll post results of the new one tommorow.

Ya think!
That installer should have been fired.
Old 09-09-13, 10:45 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Over the years, I've had several windshields replaced. The couple of times when the job has not been done satisfactorily have been times when the technician came to my location to do the job. In the actual shop, they are likely to be set up with the equipment that is more capable of making sure that alignment is proper and and that a neat job is completed. Even though it may be more convenient to have a mobile technician come to me, in the future if I need a windshield replacement, I'll be taking the vehicle into the shop to have the work done there.
Old 09-09-13, 11:13 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Glad to hear everything worked out for you.
Old 09-09-13, 02:54 PM
ALAN553
Racer

good for you!
Old 09-12-13, 09:41 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

New windshield was put in an looks perfect.... they even cleaned all the silicone off the dash and it looks like it never happend.

It's also been monsooning here constantly for the last few days, so i can tell that it is totally water tight. I guess they lived up to their 5 star ratings after all!
Old 09-12-13, 10:19 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

New windshield was put in an looks perfect.... they even cleaned all the silicone off the dash and it looks like it never happend.

It's also been monsooning here constantly for the last few days, so i can tell that it is totally water tight. I guess they lived up to their 5 star ratings after all!
Old 09-13-13, 07:03 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great customer service with a great outcome.
Kudos to the mgmt team for making it right.
Old 11-05-13, 04:35 PM
espieric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to replace my windshield which has a crack on it. can anybody recommend a GOOD COMPANY TO THE JOB? thanks.....
Old 11-05-13, 05:14 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Get OEM glass if at all possible

Quick Reply: Ugly new windshield