GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

gx470 alarm goiing off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 01:32 PM
ajortiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gx470 alarm goiing off

Hey everyone so i have a 2003 gx470 the last couple of nights the alarm has been going off by its self first i thought it might be just the cat or something but no in the early mornings around 3am and 5 am its been going off i would turn it off lock it and about 5 mins later it would go off again does it about 2-3 times also i tried leaving it unlocked and still does it and it only seems to go off in the early morning as i said and doesnt go off all day any idea what it could be maybe a short in the alarm or something?
Old 09-02-13, 02:43 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by ajortiz
Hey everyone so i have a 2003 gx470 the last couple of nights the alarm has been going off by its self first i thought it might be just the cat or something but no in the early mornings around 3am and 5 am its been going off i would turn it off lock it and about 5 mins later it would go off again does it about 2-3 times also i tried leaving it unlocked and still does it and it only seems to go off in the early morning as i said and doesnt go off all day any idea what it could be maybe a short in the alarm or something?
I can't answer why it would possibly go off when the truck is unlocked but I can take a guess as to why it might be going off when locked.

It's a common problem with the GX470 that the rear door switch will eventually, not depress far enough to signal the vehicle that the rear door is closed. If you live somewhere where the temperatures are starting to cool off in the early hours, this may be your trouble.

Someone else may be able to indicate if you can adjust the switch or switch bumper or not but I don't think you can. I had the exact same problem and didn't want to purchase a new switch or switch bumper so I went to the local hardware store and purchased a black "Bump Stop" that was the same size as the existing bumper on the truck door. I just stuck the little bumper to the existing bumper so it would depress the switch another 1/8".

I'ts been no issue since. Someday I may be near a Lexus dealership and price the switch or the door bumper but ... probably not

Let us all know how you make out.

Cheers,

Chris

Ps... As to why it goes off when the truck is unlocked, you may or may not have noticed, but the truck will lock automatically if unlocked but no door opened after a certain time constant. I've never looked it up to see if they all do this, but mine certainly does.

Last edited by Crispy3M; 09-02-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 03:20 PM
ajortiz
Driver School Candidate

oh alright yea i have seen that around people talking about the door switches as you were saying so it could be any of the doors doing that so should i put the bump stop on all the doors and see what happens also do you mind if possible taking a picture of where the door switch is im not exactly sure where its located and what it is it would help if you post a pic thanks.
Old 09-02-13, 03:57 PM
ajortiz
Driver School Candidate

oh alright yea i have seen that around people talking about the door switches as you were saying so it could be any of the doors doing that so should i put the bump stop on all the doors and see what happens also do you mind if possible taking a picture of where the door switch is im not exactly sure where its located and what it is it would help if you post a pic thanks.
Old 09-02-13, 04:29 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

I'd try the back door first.

Just open it up and you can't miss it!
Old 09-02-13, 10:18 PM
GregWork
Driver School Candidate

Also, if you just unlock but don't open a door; it will relock itself and hence could be the reason for the repeat alarm after unlock.
Old 09-03-13, 02:07 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

So... how did you make out?

Did that solve your problem?
Old 10-10-13, 08:27 AM
ajortiz
Driver School Candidate

hey all sorry for took so long to reply but i did solve the problem it was a problem with the rear door switch was loose so i got it tightened and everything is fine on it now