GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 01:53 PM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear shocks

OK...got word today my rear shocks are bottoming out....any suggestions on next steps? this is for my 03 Gx 470 with 205K!! runs like a charm but wonder if this is why my ride is not as good as it was!! If anyone has options on type of shock..brands etc let me know!
Old 08-29-13, 03:30 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Just from the limited amount of research i've done, it looks like the factory shocks are somewhat cost prohibitive, but i know places like Arnott make GX470 shocks that will work with the air suspension and leveling system. Only downside is they don't have the provisions for the modulated suspension comfort/sport settings
Old 08-29-13, 11:45 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Just from the limited amount of research i've done, it looks like the factory shocks are somewhat cost prohibitive, but i know places like Arnott make GX470 shocks that will work with the air suspension and leveling system. Only downside is they don't have the provisions for the modulated suspension comfort/sport settings
Yep... do some reading. There are a million threads on here about the shocks. Very common problem.

Cheers!
Old 08-30-13, 06:41 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I just replaced mine today with OEM shocks I picked up off ebay and my truck rides like new again (had the fronts replaced 4th qtr last year). If they lasted you 205k miles go back to OEM.

This is where I bought mine from. They are electronically dampened so they are going to be a bit more expensive than your typical shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-COMPLETE-REAR-SUSPENSION-SHOCK-ABSORBER-FOR-LEXUS-GX470-/120895523142?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AGX470&hash=item1c25ef4946&vxp=mtr
Old 08-30-13, 07:49 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
I just replaced mine today with OEM shocks I picked up off ebay

This is where I bought mine from. They are electronically dampened so they are going to be a bit more expensive than your typical shocks.

Brand New Genuine Complete Rear Suspension Shock Absorber for Lexus GX470 | eBay

Why buy from some weird dealer on eBay for $699.95 when Sewell Lexus sells it for $473.72 + $12.58 s/h?
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/

Last edited by RCsGX; 08-30-13 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Pic added
Old 08-31-13, 03:21 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

That price must be for a pair, ie complete rear suspension ?
Old 08-31-13, 04:37 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
It's hard to tell but the ad certainly looks like it's just for one?
Old 08-31-13, 06:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Originally Posted by Crispy3M
It's hard to tell but the ad certainly looks like it's just for one?
I just re-read it, I think you guys are right. I paid right around that price for two from the same seller - I Maybe it was a mistake?
Old 08-31-13, 06:17 AM
cssnms
Racer

When I found the deal on the shocks I shared the information here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ar-shocks.html

After clicking on the link in my post above, it looks like they are listed for $1200!

I contacted the seller.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-31-13 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 06:25 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shocks

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Why buy from some weird dealer on eBay for $699.95 when Sewell Lexus sells it for $473.72 + $12.58 s/h?
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/
Is this the CL price??? I entered my information as i ordered them before and my price stopped at the 699!!!!

Last edited by GRAYM; 08-31-13 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 06:45 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

THis sellers prices are all over the place and change from day to day on these shocks.
Old 08-31-13, 11:05 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAYM
Is this the CL price??? I entered my information as i ordered them before and my price stopped at the 699!!!!
Yes that's the CL price. I signed in on Sewell right now and I get the same exact price as I posted before.

I wouldn't trust those shocks from that eBay seller! I found the same shocks on a China website (alibaba) that is NOTORIOUS for letting sellers sell counterfeit goods on there.

Look at this link:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/89...ber_48530.html
Brand Name: Saiding

The eBay seller is using the exact same picture as the China seller with his added watermark. In that same link above look under the Brand Name, it says Saiding, NOT Toyota / Lexus or KYB. The name of the company selling those shocks is Guangzhou Saiding Auto Parts: http://saidingautoparts.en.alibaba.com/

Be warned. If it's too good to be true it usually is.......

FYI, counterfeit airbags w/ OEM logos came out of Guangzhou so why not shocks, water pumps, sparkplugs etc.
http://www.saferoads.org/nhtsa-warns...phony-air-bags

Last edited by RCsGX; 08-31-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 11:30 AM
cssnms
Racer

Yes that's the CL price. I signed in on Sewell right now and I get the same exact price as I posted before.

I wouldn't trust those shocks from that eBay seller! I found the same shocks on a China website (alibaba) that is NOTORIOUS for letting sellers sell counterfeit goods on there.

Look at this link:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/89...ber_48530.html
Brand Name: Saiding

The eBay seller is using the exact same picture as the China seller with his added watermark. In that same link above look under the Brand Name, it says Saiding, NOT Toyota / Lexus or KYB. The name of the company selling those shocks is Guangzhou Saiding Auto Parts: http://saidingautoparts.en.alibaba.com/

Be warned. If it's too good to be true it usually is.......

FYI, counterfeit airbags w/ OEM logos came out of Guangzhou so why not shocks, water pumps, sparkplugs etc.
http://www.saferoads.org/nhtsa-warns...phony-air-bags
That's all fine advise and you are entitled to buy what you want. I bought these shocks and they are OEM as far as I could tell - they are identical to the shocks that came off my truck in every way. They are installed and working perfectly. If they prove to be knock-offs oh well, for $699 they can't be any worse than the OEM shocks I only managed to get 80k miles out of.
Old 08-31-13, 11:38 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cssnms
That's all fine advise, but I bought them, they were OEM as far as I could tell - they were identical to the shocks that came off my truck in every way. They are installed and working perfectly. They can't be any worse than the OEM shocks I only managed to get 80k miles out of.
Yes, counterfeit will look like the real thing.

Browse through that site, you will see fake iPhones in Apple boxes, you will see fake iPhone cases, you will see fake Rolex's in genuine Green Rolex boxes w/ the green and red tag, you will see fake re-branded Sony HD TVs, you will see fake Philips / Osram HID bulbs, you will see fake Philips Superflux LEDs, you will see fake Cree LEDs...I can go on and on.

We're not talking about an aftermarket part, we're talking about a counterfeit part. If you don't care about taking the risk then more power to you but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say if I'm buying an OEM part I want an OEM part, not some China counterfeit product that uses inferior parts.
Old 08-31-13, 01:38 PM
cssnms
Racer

Yes, counterfeit will look like the real thing.

Browse through that site, you will see fake iPhones in Apple boxes, you will see fake iPhone cases, you will see fake Rolex's in genuine Green Rolex boxes w/ the green and red tag, you will see fake re-branded Sony HD TVs, you will see fake Philips / Osram HID bulbs, you will see fake Philips Superflux LEDs, you will see fake Cree LEDs...I can go on and on.

We're not talking about an aftermarket part, we're talking about a counterfeit part. If you don't care about taking the risk then more power to you but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say if I'm buying an OEM part I want an OEM part, not some China counterfeit product that uses inferior parts.
I know all about alibaba.

You sure seem to know an aweful lot about the shocks I purchased. If you BELIEVE the shocks are fake or they are made with "inferior" parts simply don't buy them. In the end I will be the judge of their quality since they are on my GX. If they prove to be **** or otherwise I will be sure to report back. And like I said, I can't imagine they will be any worse than the shocks they replaced that only lasted 7 yrs/80k miles.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-31-13 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: rear shocks