GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mark Levinson amp repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 06:18 AM
JeepinLaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mark Levinson amp repair

Thought I would pass along some info on my ML amp......

A couple weeks ago my ML system started putting off a fuzzy sound on the passenger side and then turning off completely after a few seconds. I did some online research and got United Radio's name and number. Called them up. A real person answered, I told her what I had, she looked it up and said it would be a flat rate of $450 to fix which included shipping back.

I pulled the amp, printed out the online form, carefully boxed the amp up, put it & the online form in the mail (just regular cheap post office mail, they said it would be there in a week or sooner) last Friday. The following Wednesday morning I got a call from United, the tech said, he had checked it out and it was defective and did I want to fix it. I said, yes, gave him my credit card. He said, it would probably be shipped back the same day and again told me that the $450 included return shipping but for $17+ I could have it overnighted. I said, overnight it! Well I it got back on Friday! YES, I WEEK TURN AROUND from the day I shipped it to them! After the 5 min to put it back in, it works perfect!

Sorry to sound like a cheesy commercial but these guys ROCK!

www.***********.com/automotive/
Old 07-28-13, 06:22 AM
JeepinLaw
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention that to get by with tunes for a few weeks, I used my Dewalt worksite radio. Worked pretty good. It fit between the middle console and the back seat so it was easy to reach and pretty secure. U can plug it in the back for power or use a battery. Everyone who saw it laughed but it worked fine!

Last edited by JeepinLaw; 08-03-13 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-28-13, 03:36 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mark Levinson - hhhhhmmmmmpppppp

Glad you got it repaired! Such a common issue with ML amps.....if it goes belly up......well...its basically useless...

Nice to see that a third party repair customer service worked in getting your amp fixed...great price for repair,,,go to the dealer and get a new one..well...you know the story.....

I think that there is a common issue with those amps but the dealership is not going to fess up to it.
Old 09-12-13, 08:07 AM
tccowley
Driver School Candidate

Default United Radio amp repair

Just an FYI... I searched long and hard for an alternative repair facility for the ML amplifier. I finally gave up and sent mine to United Radio in NY. The blanket price to repair this amp (2007 LS460... amp model 86280-0W480) as of 9/2013 is now $700. Hope to have it back soon.

I am new to the club and I posted a new thread last week requesting info on an alternate repair facility. I also asked how to remove the tie-down cleats in the trunk so I could remove the trunk floor piece. As far as the amp repair request, I was pretty much told to look it up myself. My other question was not even addressed.

So is this how this club usually works? If you can't help or don't want to... do you just tell people to **** off? If so, thanks for nothing.
Old 09-12-13, 08:41 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tccowley
Just an FYI... I searched long and hard for an alternative repair facility for the ML amplifier. I finally gave up and sent mine to United Radio in NY. The blanket price to repair this amp (2007 LS460... amp model 86280-0W480) as of 9/2013 is now $700. Hope to have it back soon.

I am new to the club and I posted a new thread last week requesting info on an alternate repair facility. I also asked how to remove the tie-down cleats in the trunk so I could remove the trunk floor piece. As far as the amp repair request, I was pretty much told to look it up myself. My other question was not even addressed.

So is this how this club usually works? If you can't help or don't want to... do you just tell people to **** off? If so, thanks for nothing.
This Club has been the best one I have ever come across. I am not sure I understand your posting. First off it looks like you posted in the wrong section of the forum. This section deals with the gx470 First generation, Where did you post your first thread. I would not judge the forum based on two postings that appear to have been placed in the wrong forum. We are all enthusiast here and we are ready willing and able to help in any way we can. Usually on the forum a new member introduces him self and tells a bit about his vehicle and him self.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water

Last edited by mrblister; 09-12-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 09:48 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the reason for the lack of information on your LS460 is that not many people who own those are going to be doing DIY stuff yet, as they are so new. Go look in the first and second generation LS400 forums, and there is a WEALTH of knowledge on those!!

If you are serious about doing your own work, then pick up a pair of the Official Lexus repair manuals such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Lexus-LS460-LS-460-LS460L-Factory-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-Set-Vol-1-6-/400505893963?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d4002f44b&vxp=mtr
They are expensive, espeically for the LS460s, but they are WELL worth the money.
Old 09-12-13, 10:18 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tccowley
STOP!!! You're making Texas look bad!