GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 10:28 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipler
2004 G X 470 , 35,000 miles original , the tires look good was being told they will get you through another year , well being 9 year old tires , I feel I might need new tires for traveling long distances short coming .

Any suggestions on a good tire ?
quiet ride and yet traction in the snow
If you read this thread, all the recommendations are listed for you.
Old 11-17-13, 08:45 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Increased tire pressure

Originally Posted by stiles_s
What you guys are doing with tire pressure is fascinating to me. I typically keep to the door-jamb pressure. Therefore, I'm running 32psi w/my Michelin AT/2s.

Why are you guys airing them up so much? Among other things, isn't it ruining the ride?

I've heard something about LT tires needing different pressures than standard tires. Is this influencing your pressures? Thanks, I've spent most of my auto experience tinkering with sports cars. Curious about how people think about SUV/Truck tire pressures.
I increase my tire pressure to (just about) the max allowed by the manufacturer because, I learned in the evasive maneuver driving portion of the Police Academy, that doing so increases my sidewall stiffness which helps cornering precision dramatically. Yes, I suppose I am sacrificing "some" ride quality, but I really don't notice it very much. Also, there is a fine line between (almost) max allowable pressure and too much pressure so that you get uneven wear in the center of your tires. I am always checking twice a month on that and my tire pressures. It's really just personal preference. I don't mind giving up "some" ride quality for better performance (in my opinion). I have had, btw, several high performance BMW's in my life and I did the same thing with the tire pressures on them with no ill effects. Quite the opposite, in fact. It produced markedly better cornering performance from those cars (to me). Bottom line is if you don't want to sacrifice ANY ride quality, run your tires at the "door jam pressures". I think that's just fine. But if you want "top" performance from your tires, and don't mind being a bit vigilant about your pressures and tire wear, I say "max them up". My two cents.
Old 11-18-13, 09:37 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
If you read this thread, all the recommendations are listed for you.
thanks
Michelin LTX AT2s for me
Old 11-18-13, 09:50 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think we're about to go down a rabbit hole, way way off topic...

In my experience the GX is awfully far from being sporty, much less anywhere comparable in its on-road capabilities to any BMW. As a matter of fact, my GX brings out the slowness in my driving - yup, I drive my GX like a grandpa because it's not a race car. In my opinion, I appreciate mine for what it is - a plush, quiet, sorta slow, not a corner carver in a stress reducing way. I'm continually amazed by some folks on here that try to make it into a race car / truck.

@GX470fan - With your amped up tire pressure, how much difference does it make? You mention you can feel it. Describe. I get that you're ok with the trade-off in comfort, but I wonder if you are you really getting a fair trade? (Yes, this is coming from a guy that hasn't upped his psi.)

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-18-13, 07:49 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad

In my experience the GX is awfully far from being sporty, much less anywhere comparable in its on-road capabilities to any BMW. As a matter of fact, my GX brings out the slowness in my driving - yup, I drive my GX like a grandpa because it's not a race car. In my opinion, I appreciate mine for what it is - a plush, quiet, sorta slow, not a corner carver in a stress reducing way. I'm continually amazed by some folks on here that try to make it into a race car / truck.

@GX470fan - With your amped up tire pressure, how much difference does it make? You mention you can feel it. Describe. I get that you're ok with the trade-off in comfort, but I wonder if you are you really getting a fair trade? (Yes, this is coming from a guy that hasn't upped his psi.)

Thanks for sharing.
I bumped from 32 -> 40psi on my AT/2s last weekend. as you'd expect:
- lower rolling resistance
- less effort to turn the wheel when parked
- more direct steering response
- slightly harsher ride

No surprises here. As you'd expect -- you're just stiffening the sidewalls. Given the dive my GX took gas mileage-wise when I went with the AT/2s, i'm going to stay at higher PSI for a while and see if I get some of the MPG back.
Old 11-18-13, 09:26 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm running my NTGs at 40lbs. too.

How much MPGs did you loose? I didn't loose any switching to mine, if I did it wasn't noticeable. I do all city driving. If I do go on the highway it's less than 2 miles just to get to the next exit. I still average between 11-12MPGs as I did when I had the chrome stock wheels.

Stock

• wheel: 26.4lbs.
  • tire: 38lbs.

Aftermarket

• wheel: 22lbs.
  • tire: 47lbs.
Old 11-20-13, 08:41 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Increased Tire Pressures

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad

Thanks for sharing.
I totally agree with you regarding the driving and performance of our GX's. I LOVE the plush ride and do tend to drive it more slowly than the BMW's I've had. However, I do live in the mountains in Colorado and hence drive many mountain road that are winding. When the speed limit allows, that entails taking turns at higher speeds. With my increased pressures, I can definitely feel a difference in the stiffness of the sidewalls in these situations. I feel safer, if that makes sense. Like the other poster said, there is also less rolling resistance, easier turning of the wheels at slower speeds and yes, a "bit" of a "harsher" ride". But again, I really don't notice it very much, your experience may vary. As far as mpg's, I haven't noticed any real difference, good or bad, with my increased pressures. I was hoping that I MIGHT get a little more mpg's, but I have not. As far as a "fair trade" obviously I feel like it is for me. I like the feeling of knowing that IF I have to make a "quick maneuver" that my sidewalls are as stiff as possible giving me better responsiveness. Case in point: just yesterday I was driving at 65-70mph on a local highway (the speed limit is 65mph) and the bonehead in front of me decided at the very last minute to make a left hand turn. Although I was at least 6-7 car lengths behind him, he hit the brakes so hard that I had to go around him on the right hand side, quickly, to avoid him. I'd like to think that having the stiffest sidewalls possible enabled me to do that easily and more safely. My GX responded perfectly to my inputs. No, not like a sports car, but (to me) the stiffer sidewalls because of the increased pressures helped keep my GX right on track in this "quick maneuver". Lastly, this is just my experience and opinion. I don't think there is any one "right way" for everyone. If you like the "plushest" ride possible, by all means run your tires at the "door jam pressures". I just personally have seen and experienced the increased performance from running my tires (both on my GX and in the cars we used at the Police Academy) at (almost) max pressure. My two cents. (And in the Academy we trained in Crown Victorias, hardly sports cars, at speeds only approaching 45mph (approximately) and the difference the increased pressures made was remarkable while practicing our evasive driving techniques).