GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 09:45 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Upgrade

Gentlemen,

Has anyone successfully installed the Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust on a 2004 GX470? Gibson does not make a system for our vehicles however, they do make one for a 2004 4Runner 4.7L.

I've read everything we have on it here but it's very vague. Some say there used to be a system for our vehicles but that it has been discontinued and others suggest that they have installed a Toyota system but don't list the year GX. I've used an online parts site to compare part numbers between the 04 GX470 and the 04 4Runner and they seem to match exactly, but you know how that can go...

I'm looking at this one:

http://gibsonperformance.com/product...t_number=18707

As always, your input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris

Last edited by Crispy3M; 06-20-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 07:40 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Ordered

In case anyone is interested, I'm fairly confident it will fit so it's been ordered.

I'll post the results in a few weeks.

Cheers!
Old 06-21-13, 07:49 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love seeing folks trying out new mods on the site. Bilsteins, Exhaust, etc. Look forward to hearing the results.
Old 06-26-13, 11:12 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one am very interested in seeing & hearing it. I love my GX but at times it feels so quiet I wish I could wake it up a bit.

The only Gibson system I am familiar with is the one I had on a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L hemi. It was fairly quiet but noticeably louder than stock with the windows down. The only negative to it was my MPG dropped and when the cylinder de-activation (MDS) kicked in on the highway it droned.

Otherwise, it was a great system . IMO.

Cant wait to hear yours!
Old 06-26-13, 09:19 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Gibson

I chose the Gibson based on reviews that indicated that it was quiet on the interior of the truck but a little louder on the exterior. Like you, I don't want the drone but would like a little growl with the windows down.

I've also ordered the K&N Cold Air Intake but I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I had one on my BMW and it was not loud at all but I've read that it may be too loud on the GX470. I'll give it a try and if it's too loud, I'll put it up for sale here.

I'll post pictures and a sound clip in a couple of weeks when I get back home and have a chance work on the truck.

Cheers!
Old 06-27-13, 07:28 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
I chose the Gibson based on reviews that indicated that it was quiet on the interior of the truck but a little louder on the exterior. Like you, I don't want the drone but would like a little growl with the windows down.

I've also ordered the K&N Cold Air Intake but I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I had one on my BMW and it was not loud at all but I've read that it may be too loud on the GX470. I'll give it a try and if it's too loud, I'll put it up for sale here.

I'll post pictures and a sound clip in a couple of weeks when I get back home and have a chance work on the truck.

Cheers!
The K&N for our cars is a bit overwhelming in my opinion. I take it on and off my GX as my moods change. Not only does it sound ridiculously loud, but it reduced low end torque in 1-3 gear (unless you get the tach above 3.5k RPM), and I went from 16.4 MPG average to 14.3.

Im very interested in hearing this so I can make my desicion on whether or not I am going to dump the CAI for the Gibson.
Old 06-27-13, 09:10 AM
Pugs
Driver School Candidate

Every vehicle I've owned so far I installed a CAI or shirt ram intake and a cat back exhaust, except for my '07 GX I recently bought. My last vehicle was a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I had the same Gibson exhaust with a KN intake(FIPK or whatever it's called). That combo sounded great on the Jeep, like a tank coming down the road.

There was a low drone at low rpm's but I actually enjoyed that on that specific vehicle. Never ran a dyno so can't say one way or the other objectively. One part of me like the quiet GX but the other part of me is very curious what it would sound like with intake/exhaust. I think you will like the Gibson, I used the same for my past 3 vehicles, louder than stock(and deeper sounding) but not obnoxious is the best way to describe it. can't wait to hear your review/sound clip!
Old 06-27-13, 09:34 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by Jafch1
The K&N for our cars is a bit overwhelming in my opinion. I take it on and off my GX as my moods change. Not only does it sound ridiculously loud, but it reduced low end torque in 1-3 gear (unless you get the tach above 3.5k RPM), and I went from 16.4 MPG average to 14.3.

Im very interested in hearing this so I can make my desicion on whether or not I am going to dump the CAI for the Gibson.
Thanks for the post. I'm disappointed to hear that you ended up with a decrease in fuel mileage. I was hoping after reading some of "PearlPower's" posts that I would be getting an increase.

Again, I'll certainly follow up with findings.

Cheers!

Ps. Love this forum!
Old 06-30-13, 12:13 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

Cant wait to hear the exhaust!

Please, if you can, make a video compilation of exterior idle/rev, and interior cabin while driving. I am tempted on doing an exhaust for the GX but am undecided.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-13, 02:22 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

This was a clip I recorded a little while back:
Will try to find some time to record it again with interior & exterior and on the freeway, etc, etc.
Old 06-30-13, 07:21 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeEnjoyr
This was a clip I recorded a little while back: Lexus GX470 Gibson Catback Exhaust - YouTube
Will try to find some time to record it again with interior & exterior and on the freeway, etc, etc.
Ha. Love it when the dog barks. Thanks for the vid.
Old 07-08-13, 01:05 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently replaced the center section muffler with a smaller magnoflow and did a turn down behind the rear axle. I'm telling you, I couldnt be happier with it. I was concerned that it would be some droney beast coming down the road but its still pretty quiet while cruising and only really makes itself known under accleration. It's my wifes truck so i was super concerned she'd hate it, but she doesnt.

I'll post up a vid of it too, so you can have options.
Old 07-08-13, 05:23 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Sounds good... Mine goes in tomorrow morning at 8:00am.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 07-12-13, 06:26 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Gibson Review

Well, it's good news and bad news for me with the Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust.

The Good News: Direct Fit, fantastic quality and installed without a hitch.

The Bad News: Not really bad news but... for all those reviews that indicate that the Gibson is not louder inside the cabin, they may be suffering from hearing damage... LOL! The Gibson sounds great outside the vehicle (I'll post a sound clip soon) but I find it too loud for me on the inside. It's not bad at low RPM around town but, IMHO, between 1500 RPM and 2000 RPM, there is a noticeable drone. Above 2000 RPM it seems to quiet down nicely.

Now in all fairness, I should mention that I also installed the K&N CAI a few hours after having the Exhaust installed and it may be contributing to the noise I'm experiencing in the cabin.

I guess if I were 25 years younger, I wouldn't mind the grumble but I must be getting old and crusty as well

The good news for me is that most of my driving is in town at low RPM or on the Highway at around 2200 RPM. If I were driving secondary roads often, I don't think I'd be very happy.

Well, that's it. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Crispy3M; 07-12-13 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 03:08 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
Well, it's good news and bad news for me with the Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust.

The Good News: Direct Fit, fantastic quality and installed without a hitch.

The Bad News: Not really bad news but... for all those reviews that indicate that the Gibson is not louder inside the cabin, they may be suffering from hearing damage... LOL! The Gibson sounds great outside the vehicle (I'll post a sound clip soon) but I find it too loud for me on the inside. It's not bad at low RPM around town but, IMHO, between 1500 RPM and 2000 RPM, there is a noticeable drone. Above 2000 RPM it seems to quiet down nicely.

Now in all fairness, I should mention that I also installed the K&N CAI a few hours after having the Exhaust installed and it may be contributing to the noise I'm experiencing in the cabin.

I guess if I were 25 years younger, I wouldn't mind the grumble but I must be getting old and crusty as well

The good news for me is that most of my driving is in town at low RPM or on the Highway at around 2200 RPM. If I were driving secondary roads often, I don't think I'd be very happy.

Well, that's it. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers,

Chris

Let's hear it for "old and crusty"!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade