GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 07:41 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Clip

Old 07-14-13, 08:02 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default ... And one under a constant load

As you can tell, it's a little loud in the cab of the truck.
Old 07-22-13, 07:36 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crispy3M -

Thank you for posting video! I have been on the fence about ordering this exhaust for quite sometime now.

It does seem a bit loud in the cabin after seeing your interior video, however I will tell you from personal experience, some of that noise you hear is the K&N intake. That sucker is one loud intake, and in your video I can pickup "K&N drone".

Your exhaust sounds great, especially the exterior video. Maybe it needs to break in before eliminating some interior drone? Now that you've had it on a couple of weeks, what do you think of it?
Old 07-22-13, 10:58 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafch1
Your exhaust sounds great, especially the exterior video. Maybe it needs to break in before eliminating some interior drone? Now that you've had it on a couple of weeks, what do you think of it?
Exhaust will definitely "break in" as it gets some soot built up in it, the sound will mellow out a bit. I thought it sounded really good, maybe a little loud for me these days, but very good all the same.
Old 07-22-13, 09:32 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Thanks

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.

I'm going to remove the K&N CAI when I get back home. I travel pretty much exclusively for work so I rarely get a chance to drive the GX.

I'll be back home in two weeks and will post any updates.

Thanks again!

Chris
Old 09-22-13, 10:35 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

^^ Any updates?
Old 09-22-13, 01:53 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Updates

^^ Any updates?
Sure...

I took off the K&N CAI after about 100kms and put it all back in the box. With just the Gibson Exhaust, the GX is still louder than I would like but I can live with it. With the K&N CAI, a couple of times when the truck kicked down a gear it nearly scared the crap out of me

From about 80-90 Km/h, the GX still has a notable "drone" but it soon disappears around 110-120 Km/h which is where I usually run anyway. It's also just fine running around town.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Chris

FYI... If anyone wants a great deal on a new K&N CAI with 100kms on it, it's for sale in the "for sale" section of the forum.
Old 09-22-13, 03:39 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I did a y-pipe addition after the factory muffler with 2 tailpipes and got rid of the resonator and love the sound. I would post a pic but have not figured out how to do so with the mobile iPhone. It is only slightly louder and only on acceleration. Looks sweet too. Now if I could get rid of the annoying ticking sound coming from the passengers side manifold.
Old 09-22-13, 08:23 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I did a y-pipe addition after the factory muffler with 2 tailpipes and got rid of the resonator and love the sound. I would post a pic but have not figured out how to do so with the mobile iPhone. It is only slightly louder and only on acceleration. Looks sweet too. Now if I could get rid of the annoying ticking sound coming from the passengers side manifold.
Pacesetter is your friend

Oh how I hated that ticking sound!
Old 11-15-13, 07:11 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

Update for those following:

I removed the factory muffler from my GX this week and had them put a Gibson muffler on. I kept the OEM piping, and the OEM resonator. Basically all I did was remove the "water heater" of a muffler and kept the resonator that sits right before the exhaust tip.

Sounds GREAT! No drone, just a hair louder than stock, but unless your outside it sounds OEM from the cabin. So Crispy 3M, if you still have your resonator from your OEM exhaust have the muffler shop put that back on. It removes the drone, and quiets down the GIbson.
Old 11-15-13, 07:45 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Update for those following:

I removed the factory muffler from my GX this week and had them put a Gibson muffler on. I kept the OEM piping, and the OEM resonator. Basically all I did was remove the "water heater" of a muffler and kept the resonator that sits right before the exhaust tip.

Sounds GREAT! No drone, just a hair louder than stock, but unless your outside it sounds OEM from the cabin. So Crispy 3M, if you still have your resonator from your OEM exhaust have the muffler shop put that back on. It removes the drone, and quiets down the GIbson.
Crispy3m has a 2nd gen Tundra. He's moved on to bigger and better things.

Old 11-16-13, 08:05 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Crispy3m has a 2nd gen Tundra. He's moved on to bigger and better things.

Well, I certainly am enjoying the Tundra

@Jafch1 - What a great idea!

I do still have the GX though and I'm glad you guys brought this tread back to life because I forgot to update it with my Pacesetter experience.

I ran into some quality issues with Pacesetter. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered both the driver's side and passenger side exhaust manifolds from Pacesetter. Initially, they were the bee's knees but that didn't last long. After about a week, I started to hear the exhaust "tick" again. At first, I thought it was just me being paranoid but soon I realized that the driver's side was indeed leaking.

I contacted Amazon regarding the faulty manifold and they were nothing short of fantastic. They apologized and quickly sent me a new one via UPS and, sent an Email with all the return information to send the faulty manifold back free of charge. (Amazon now has a 1 year return policy on all automotive parts).

Anyway, as some on here know, I travel extensively, so it was a few weeks before I finally got home, picked up the new manifold and dropped it and the GX off at the shop. A few minutes later, I got a call from the shop saying that I should probably come and see them because they didn't think I was going to be happy

Wouldn't you know it, the new (replacement) manifold from Pacesetter had a visible hole in the weld. Beginning to question their quality, I asked the guys to put a straight edge across the mating surface of the new (replacement) manifold... Not even close to being true

[IMG][/IMG]

To make a long story short, I had the guys weld the new manifold up, send it to the machine shop to clean up the mating surface and all is well.

Amazon even offered to pay cost of having the new manifold repaired and installed. I can't say enough good about these guys.

So in the end, I can't say that I could recommend Pacesetter products as their QA department seems to be asleep at the wheel.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Crispy3M; 11-16-13 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 09:48 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
Well, I certainly am enjoying the Tundra
I'm sure you are.

Pacesetters are a crap shoot; PUN intended. A lot of LS guys use them. Sometimes you get a good set but more often than not you get a crappy set. But as the saying goes:
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” B.F.

And yeah Amazon is great!!
Old 11-16-13, 11:39 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Pacesetters are a crap shoot; PUN intended. A lot of LS guys use them. Sometimes you get a good set but more often than not you get a crappy set. But as the saying goes:
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” B.F.

And yeah Amazon is great!!
Personally, if I did have to do it again, I would probably still order the Pacesetter's, just because they are so beefy compared to the OEM set. I'd then do what I did with the last one, have a shop I trust weld it up and then send it to the machine shop to level the mating surface. I just couldn't recommend them to others.

Additionally, in all fairness to Pacesetter, I should also mention that in addition to working with Amazon, I also contacted Pacesetter. I was polite but explained my experience with their products and offered to send them pictures of the faulty manifolds. They sent an Email reply about a week later apologizing for the problems and offered to help out. That was pretty cool of them.
Old 11-17-13, 06:48 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

wow that does sound great. I think i want to keep mine stock and quiet.....for now

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade