GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bilstein Shock by Arnott and Moog Ball joint repair, PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 04:26 AM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jafch1 - now that you have lost the "comfort / sport **** features", were there any pesky dash lights to disable ?

Also, can you confirm for future reference that the parts you ordered were:

Front shocks - part# SK-2511
Rears shocks - part# SK-2512

Thanks.
Old 06-20-13, 08:23 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fishhuntnc
jafch1 - now that you have lost the "comfort / sport **** features", were there any pesky dash lights to disable ?

Also, can you confirm for future reference that the parts you ordered were:

Front shocks - part# SK-2511
Rears shocks - part# SK-2512

Thanks.
I'll answer for jafch1. The part numbers are correct. There are no pesky lights to disable either.
Old 06-20-13, 08:56 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by aljodoro
I have a KDSS sport equipped 2006 with 95,000 miles. I always adjust the suspension to the firmest setting and only soften the setting when I wonder if there is any difference. It always seem to soft on the lower settings whether I am on the freeway or in town and I go right back to the firmest setting.. I would actually like a little more firmer shock but I recognize there is a point that the shocks can be to harsh. If you would please pay particular attention to the ride differences and try to describe them to us, it would be most helpful. .
I'm coming back to your question, after I've had some time to play around with my new setup. I've only done the back so far, but it's given me a chance to play around with the settings for the front shocks and compare it to the back shocks. I don't have KDSS, but the part numbers for the shocks are the same.

I always found the all the way to the right (sport) too harsh, so I always backed it off one previously. With the Bilstien's it seems the harshness I felt in the highest sport position is gone, so it was likely the rear shocks causing it. Now, the highest sport setting seems just as stiff in the front (factory) as the rear (Bilstein), but the rear is still smoother.

I've always liked the ride of the 4Runner Sport with X-REAS and the Bilstein seems to move the GX more in that direction. I really didn't want to change the fronts until I had to, but I like the rear setup enough, I'll likely change those out in the next couple of months.
Old 06-20-13, 10:05 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
I always found the all the way to the right (sport) too harsh, so I always backed it off one previously. With the Bilstien's it seems the harshness I felt in the highest sport position is gone, so it was likely the rear shocks causing it. Now, the highest sport setting seems just as stiff in the front (factory) as the rear (Bilstein), but the rear is still smoother.
Just so we are all clear here... (and I'm asking, not telling)

The Comfort/Sport Switch only had effect on the rear OEM shocks. It's my understanding that you have removed the rear OEM shocks and replaced them with Bilsteins. If this is the case, the Comfort/Sport Switch should have absolutely no more effect on your ride quality.

Again, I could be wrong
Old 06-20-13, 10:42 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crispy3M

The Comfort/Sport Switch only had effect on the rear OEM shocks. It's my understanding that you have removed the rear OEM shocks and replaced them with Bilsteins. If this is the case, the Comfort/Sport Switch should have absolutely no more effect on your ride quality.

Again, I could be wrong
I've personally never heard this. The fronts have the same pigtails on them and I can still feel them stiffen up with the rears gone. It's possible they didn't swing as far in each direction, but they definitely do something.
Old 06-20-13, 11:11 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy3M

Again, I could be wrong
No, all 4 corners OEM shocks are adjustable via the comfort/sport switch, but only the rear is height adjustable via the rear airbags in place of springs. The shock firmness and the height control are seperate systems.
Old 06-20-13, 11:51 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
No, all 4 corners OEM shocks are adjustable via the comfort/sport switch, but only the rear is height adjustable via the rear airbags in place of springs. The shock firmness and the height control are seperate systems.
My apologies gentlemen, you are absolutely correct.

When I was sourcing new rear shocks, I mistakenly assumed that it was only the rear shocks that were adjustable as all the pictures showed the connector/pigtail on the rear shocks but not on the front. I've just checked mine and what do you know... plug-ins on the front ones as well.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Cheers!
Old 06-21-13, 08:25 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Gents -

The GX470 suspension system is a Adaptive Variable Suspension, which allows the driver to control the sport/comfort ride.. This system is located on all four struts on the vehicle.

The hight control system works only in the rear due to the fact that the rear suspension does not have conventional springs, but rather airbags. (The LX however has 4 airbags, front and rear.. but thats a story for a different day.)

I replaced all four struts on my car.. Front and back now have the Arnott Bilstein struts. No pesky lights, no problems what soever integrating them into the GX.

rj4510 only replaced his rear struts, so his Comfort/Sport **** still works for the front struts only.

I replaced all four struts, therefore my Comfort/Sport **** is useless.
Old 06-21-13, 08:50 AM
rj4510
Instructor

[QUOTE=Jafch1;
I replaced all four struts, therefore my Comfort/Sport **** is useless.[/QUOTE]

It already was
Old 06-26-13, 07:44 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just to make sure - the firmness of Bilstein

So What I read is the Bilstein replacement seems to be "less firm" than the highest level of firmness setting for the OEM shocks.

I am looking for something that takes the suspension to the firmest setting.so this option of Bilsteins may require a compromise for me. Or course, I believe that may not be an issue. It just seems that the highest setting brings better control but that my be my imagination. After all the GX isn't a cornering machine like a car. I do have KDSS.

So firmness appears to be less than the firmest with the Bilstein replacements?
Old 07-21-13, 06:49 PM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting ready to replace all 4 shocks and convert the rear airbags to the arnott conversion kit tomorrow. I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I rip out all of the gear such as ride height sensors and pumps?
2) I just had an alignment on the truck a week ago, would it require another alignment after the conversion?

I'll come back here and post about the arnott spring conversion after I get it.
The following users liked this post:
sjp2113 (01-04-17)
Old 07-21-13, 06:59 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by aljodoro
So What I read is the Bilstein replacement seems to be "less firm" than the highest level of firmness setting for the OEM shocks.

I am looking for something that takes the suspension to the firmest setting.so this option of Bilsteins may require a compromise for me. Or course, I believe that may not be an issue. It just seems that the highest setting brings better control but that my be my imagination. After all the GX isn't a cornering machine like a car. I do have KDSS.

So firmness appears to be less than the firmest with the Bilstein replacements?
I've only done the rears at this point, but can safely say, it's as firm as the most sport ride control setting, without the harshness. I just did 70+ miles of super twisty highway and the truck goes through the twists way flatter than stock. I was actually able to keep up with the cars in front of me, but had to yield to the sports car behind and let him through. That's a huge improvement over stock and that's just with Bilstiens on the rears with factory air springs.
Old 07-21-13, 07:04 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by philipf22
I'm getting ready to replace all 4 shocks and convert the rear airbags to the arnott conversion kit tomorrow. I have a couple of questions:

2) I just had an alignment on the truck a week ago, would it require another alignment after the conversion?

If I remember my research correctly, you only have to detach the anti-sway bar link, so there shouldn't be any reason to require a fresh alignment.

Just pulling the fuse should be enough to keep the pump, etc from running, so I personally don't see any reason to remove the old. Either way, you will get a light on the dash, but believe there's a fix for that as well.
Old 07-22-13, 07:27 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Originally Posted by philipf22

If you are replacing all 4 shocks, and 2 rear airbags, you WILL need an alignment. The rule of thumb is anytime one changes any suspension components, the camber/toe could be off. Even if your steering wheel is straight, the last thing you want is one tire chewing up more tread than the other.

As for ride height sensors and pumps, if you want go for it. Otherwise pulling the fuse does just the trick. Personally, I am a bit OCD and would more than likely remove all of it from my vehicle since it will be inert.
Old 07-22-13, 09:43 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

has anyone found a replacement panel to remove the switch in the center consol. I recall someone on expedition portal removing both the air springs and shocks and installing a blank panel where the switch once was. also, are you guys just taping up the pigtails when you remove the shocks?

my air suspension works great but the shocks do seem to be on their final days. I like the repair path OP decided on.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shock by Arnott and Moog Ball joint repair, PICS!